GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

60 MPH Steering Wheel Shake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-18, 12:09 PM
huss11
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blaze876
The high pressure in the wheels you mentioned could have cause them to bend. So it might not be flat spots, but the treasure bent because of the steel band inside of them.

also, try changing the front sway bar links. That fixed my issue. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't fix it atleast you know you can rule it out. The parts are about 80 dollars for both.
Hey Blaze,

Yes, I was in the market for a car with low miles...I didn't know that that issue was going to happen when I purchased a car like that. Haha! I'm on the lookout for some 3GS wheels as I know that those will fit fairly well with the car and I will see how those fair with the car.

Also, I will look at the front links too. Do you think it would be worth it to get new sway bars as well for the car?

Regards,

Huss
Old 05-02-18, 12:13 PM
huss11
Rookie

Originally Posted by lextout
id say 90% of 2gen shake at a certain high speed including mine , we have to give and take with this machine but i still love my 2uz at the end of the day.

Yes I heard that the shaking is a big issue with the 2GS that is why I brought the question here to see what the problem is.

Love my 1UZ as well but c'mon it gets kinda annoying when you're tryna cruise at around 60 and the steering is shaking sooo much.

Regards,

Huss
Old 05-02-18, 12:49 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by huss11
Hey Blaze,

Yes, I was in the market for a car with low miles...I didn't know that that issue was going to happen when I purchased a car like that. Haha! I'm on the lookout for some 3GS wheels as I know that those will fit fairly well with the car and I will see how those fair with the car.

Also, I will look at the front links too. Do you think it would be worth it to get new sway bars as well for the car?

Regards,

Huss
sway bar upgrades I've heard improve the handling by very noticeable amount. I want to do that upgrade but haven't yet. Upgraded sway bars won't fix your issue though.

The reason I said to change your sway bar links is me as well as others have changed literally everything on the front suspension (shocks, caster arm, lower and upper control arms, inner and outer tierods, ball joints, wheels and tires....then we did the sway bar links and it fixed it immediately.

Also, get your tires balanced using road force balancing. If I use regular balancing I get vibrations. If I don't torque the wheels correctly I get vibrations. This car is pretty sensitive to it but I believe it can be fixed. I've gone up to 140 with no vibrations.
Old 05-02-18, 01:03 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Bad motor & transmission mounts causes vibration at highway speeds too. Have them checked.
Old 05-02-18, 02:20 PM
mate01
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just found out my front lower ball joints are bad and that's what was causing the vibration at 60 mph.

Last edited by mate01; 05-02-18 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-02-18, 03:27 PM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hbradberry
Are you saying to get the 2001 GS caster arms or just to get new caster arm bushings? If it's as easy as that then I'm glad. Definetly not trying to go through what you had to.
superpro bushings are designed for the 2001 & up caster arms. It's a big difference from night and day. 70% vibration is gone. After I change my motor mounts I should be vibration free.
Old 05-02-18, 04:41 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by huss11
Hey Mr. Jokster,

Really? The flat spots would cause the steering wheel shaking at those speeds?

Regarding why the car has flat spots...check it: I bought the car from the original owner and she barely drove the car. It was a fairly old lady, the owner, and she had an LX470 as well so she just needed extra garage space. The car has 131,000 miles on it, and it is a 1998. So...the car has been driven an average of 6500 miles a year. LOL! I wanted a low mileage car...and, uh, that's what I got. And yes, I have the flat spots on all four tires.

What I think I am going to do now is try to get some other tires and wheels on the car and see if that issue still persists. I also will take the car back to the shop and have them check the carrier bearing. Who knows? That could be the issue itself

Thank you for your insight, Mr. Jokster,

Huss
Yes. The flat spots will throw the wheels out of balance which in due will cause steering wheel shake. If the flat spots are 'flat' enough, it wont be correctable with weights.
Old 05-03-18, 04:32 AM
huss11
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Yes. The flat spots will throw the wheels out of balance which in due will cause steering wheel shake. If the flat spots are 'flat' enough, it wont be correctable with weights.
Got it, Mr. Jokster. I think the car was sitting for too long...LOL! I like that but again, didn't expect this issue to come up.

Thank you, sir,

Huss

Originally Posted by silverbul
Bad motor & transmission mounts causes vibration at highway speeds too. Have them checked.
Hey Silverbul,

...Ya know, when I bought the car in to get checked, they said that the mounts on the motor and transmission on the car right now are the original ones, and that I should change those. I wanted to change them, but they quoted me at around $7-800...which i don't know if I want to spend that much on this car right now.

Regards,

Huss

Originally Posted by Blaze876
sway bar upgrades I've heard improve the handling by very noticeable amount. I want to do that upgrade but haven't yet. Upgraded sway bars won't fix your issue though.

The reason I said to change your sway bar links is me as well as others have changed literally everything on the front suspension (shocks, caster arm, lower and upper control arms, inner and outer tierods, ball joints, wheels and tires....then we did the sway bar links and it fixed it immediately.

Also, get your tires balanced using road force balancing. If I use regular balancing I get vibrations. If I don't torque the wheels correctly I get vibrations. This car is pretty sensitive to it but I believe it can be fixed. I've gone up to 140 with no vibrations.
Hey Blaze,

Ya I wouldn'r mind the extra handling. Going from the 4GS to 2GS is funny becuase they are kinda the exact opposite of each other. The steering on the 4GS is super tight, whereas the 2GS is direct, but not quite there yet. The car is really more like a boat compared to the newer car. But again, they're 15 years apart from each other, so a lot has changed.

And alright, if you and others have had that issue and the problem was fixed the same way, then that is enough to convince me to change those links.

I will also check out the road-force balancing too. Just wondering, Blaze...how much extra was the road-force compared to the regular balancing? Haha. And yes, the car is super smooth when you're not going 60...but I just don't want to cruise at 100-120 mph and then fill up a mile down the road. . LOL!

Regards,

Huss