GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Powersteering pump / ACV / 03GS430

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 01:57 AM
tjbantum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powersteering pump / ACV / 03GS430

This is my pump leak os somewhere underneath it
Hello a month ago the alternator on my Lexus died because the power steering pump was leaking fluid on top of it and killed the alternator. After purchasing a new alternator and a new power steering pump the pump is still leaking I have taken the vehicle too many mechanics and it seems that no one can determine exactly where the leak is coming from the power steering in the car worked fine up till I had another mechanic take a look at it And after he looked at it I noticed that the power steering pump was very delayed. (Even though he did not actually remove the pump. When I would first make a turn with the vehicle it is a struggle for the first second and then the power steering takes effect after. I did some digging through the engine to see any possible issues after I noticed that the power steering pump was very delayed. What could be the problem I noticed that the hoses connected to the air control valve on the pump slips on and off very easily. I had one mechanic say that he thinks acv that is leaking. Do I just need to replace the hoeses or should a new pump fix it? Or should I just get a new ACV. Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Old 05-12-18, 07:26 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Common problem with the 2GS, and just went through this on our SC430 that we purchased a little over a year ago. You need to take it to the dealer they will pinpoint the problem pretty quick. Here is what the service rep found for our SC430:

TECHNICIAN REPLACED POWER STEERING VACUUM VALVE AND RESERVOIR HOSES & CLAMPS PER OWNER REQUEST ~ ~FLUIDS - POWER STEERING RESERVOIR, NOTED POWER STEERING FLUID LEAK FROM VACUUM VALVE AND AFTER MARKET HOSES AND CLAMPS.

Remember to always use OEM clamps, they are squeeze type and not the screw type. Notice the difference in the photo below (which incidentally was where one of the leaks was coming from).

Old 05-12-18, 07:37 PM
tjbantum
Driver School Candidate

The hoses that were attached to the air control valve literally were loose enough to the point that I could just slide them off with the hose clamps on. I actually just switched one of the clamps to the screw type today. My power steering lags but every other week or so it will work perfectly fine. I already have a replacement power steering pump but I don’t want to spend the money to replace it and have the same exact issue The dealership said it would be $130 to diagnose the issue but I would hate to spend that money for them to tell me something simple and basic.
Old 05-12-18, 07:40 PM
tjbantum
Driver School Candidate

Is the leak in the vacuum valve the reason my power steering lags? Also if I turn the steering wheel as far right or left as it possibly can go I can hear the power steering pump make a growling/ buzzing noise. But that only happens if I am holding the steering wheel as far as I can possibly turn it.
Old 05-12-18, 07:47 PM
tjbantum
Driver School Candidate

I attached a video of me turning the wheel so you can hear the groaning
Attached Files
Old 05-12-18, 08:30 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Remember you're dealing with a high pressure system. You will need to add fluid and turn the steering wheel several times side to side and that should help. Check your P/S level as well. If the sound does not go away there may still be a leak in the system.

Last edited by kevin3344; 05-12-18 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-12-18, 10:56 PM
tjbantum
Driver School Candidate

Oh it leaks thats for sure buts its been leaking for the past few weeks and id have to occasionally refill it (every 3 days) but even so it was still working at 100% you would have no clue I had a leak if you were to drive the car until you saw underneath when it was basically pouring out . Now that ive pushed some of the hoeses back to tigheten the gaps it does not leak anywhere as near as what it was before however the power steering feels as if it’s only working at 50% capacity. That seemed extremely odd to me less fluids leaking however now when you drive the car you can obviously tell the steering is tight. Last week it was pretty much a power steering waterfall but the car drove like it was new. Just seemed odd to me