GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Power folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 06:03 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power folding mirrors

Hi,

I'm getting tired of folding my mirrors by hand every time I park my car in a tight parking space. It's so annoying that the Lexus GS in Europe doesn't have power folding mirrors while the IS has it as an option...

Anyway, I want to install the Aristo power folding mirrors but it sounds easier than it is. I don't want to lose my memory, auto dimming and heated functions. I've read that the Aristo mirrors don't have those function (at least not all three functions, believe they don't come with the heated function), so I want to place the housing of the power folding mirrors on my current mirror. This way I will keep all my functions but add the power folding function to it. Then I want to connect them to an Aristo MPX door module, is it possible that they fold automatically when the car is locked and unfold automatically when the car is unlocked (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY8cqixGVc0)?

I've read a lot about this but couldn't really find a topic where it has been done as a DIY. It's a little difficult because I want to add the power folding function and not replace my mirrors since I don't want to lose my functions.

Do you guys have experience with this?

Thanks!
Kind regards,
GS300freak
Old 05-11-18, 06:18 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

There is a DIY on how to use a Honda power folding mirror relay to open and close your mirrors. This will keep your current door control so you can retail all of your current functions if you swap the US mirror assembly to the folding part of the Japanese mirror. I don't think there has been a guide on all of this but from various posts its appears that its possible. I was going to do this but lost one of the folding mirrors when I moved...
Old 05-11-18, 01:27 PM
GS34B
Driver School Candidate

This >>> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-repair.html
Old 05-11-18, 04:14 PM
steamboat1
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2000 Aristo with the folding mirrors. They are heated but there is not a switch for it. They defrost when the heated seats are on.
Old 05-12-18, 04:00 AM
GS300freak
Driver

Thanks guys! The link is really helpful. It doesn't seem like a hard job at all.

@Muffinizer, is it possible with the Honda power folding mirror relay to fold/unfold the mirrors when the car is locked/unlocked? This way I don't have to push a button or anyting, it just goes by itself when I lock/unlock the car with the remote.

@steamboat1, huh that's different from my GS. My mirrors defrost when I turn the rear window defroster on, it has nothing to do with my heated seats but maybe this is different with the Aristo's. I really want to keep all my mirror functions, the GS has the heated, auto-dimming and memory function.
Old 01-18-20, 06:54 AM
Delp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi any updates on this mod?
Old 01-18-20, 08:27 AM
firelizard

Received 455 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by GS34B
It's right here...
Old 01-18-20, 10:24 AM
Delp
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
It's right here...
Does one need to Install a separate switch and does this effect the memory of seat, steering etc.
Old 01-18-20, 01:35 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I installed Aristo mirror and used a power folding switch module I got off eBay for $15. It folds the mirror when I lock the door and opens when I start the car. You can set it up to unfold the mirrors when with the unlock button. Works great for me.
Old 01-18-20, 01:43 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Delp
Does one need to Install a separate switch and does this effect the memory of seat, steering etc.
To retain the mirror memory functions swap over the stock module in the mirror to the Aristo unit.
Old 01-18-20, 04:15 PM
firelizard

Originally Posted by Delp
You have to actually read the post, bro.
Old 01-21-20, 12:13 PM
Delp
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
You have to actually read the post, bro.
Hello right. I've sourced the mirrors and still has the looms switch is o.k. would I need the door ECU? Or if I can get hold of one what options do I have..
Old 01-21-20, 01:51 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

I have the left hand drive US model GS and use my stock door ECU when I did this mod. I used my original mirror base with the memory functions and swapped it into the Aristo mirror cover. I then connected the mirrors using an intelligent power folding mirror module I got off of eBay for about $15.
I received the oem switch with the mirror set I bought but did not use it. I am not sure if it folds the mirrors with the lock/unlock buttons on the remote. I think the oem switch only let you fold/unfold the mirrors by moving the selector to the open/fold positions.
Since your car is an right hand drive model it should be a direct bolt up deal.
I used the information in the links list above to complete my mod. All the info is in there.
Old 01-21-20, 01:56 PM
Delp
Rookie

Originally Posted by BiGEZ
I have the left hand drive US model GS and use my stock door ECU when I did this mod. I used my original mirror base with the memory functions and swapped it into the Aristo mirror cover. I then connected the mirrors using an intelligent power folding mirror module I got off of eBay for about $15.
I received the oem switch with the mirror set I bought but did not use it. I am not sure if it folds the mirrors with the lock/unlock buttons on the remote. I think the oem switch only let you fold/unfold the mirrors by moving the selector to the open/fold positions.
Since your car is an right hand drive model it should be a direct bolt up deal.
I used the information in the links list above to complete my mod. All the info is in there.
Hi I hope it's a straight bolt on as it's RHD but would I need the door ECU.🤔
Old 01-21-20, 02:45 PM
firelizard

Dude. There is a step by step explanation with pictures. It literally could not be explained any clearer. If you were asking about something they didn't cover, sure. But everything you asked has been answered, just read it.

Once again: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/798637-my-jdm-power-folding-mirrors-install-with-wiring-motor-repair.html

Quick Reply: Power folding mirrors