GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY - Antenna (aerial) manual extend/retract override switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 01:39 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default DIY - Antenna (aerial) manual extend/retract override switch

If you have ever wanted a way to manually retract your radio antenna, this is the guide for you! I will show you where to intercept the signal wire going to the antenna control unit and install an in-line rocker switch to manually control when it is extended. The main reason I had for wanting this was due to the fact I utilize the AUX jack which I have spliced into the factory head unit ( see this guide here ), more than the radio, but due to the nature of that mod it would leave the aerial extended when not in use. Since performing this I have also found the radio will still work fine with the antenna retracted for the most part (provided you aren’t too far away from the transmitter source) which is a nice bonus

Tools + materials required

- 2 pole Rocker switch
- Wire
- Crimp terminals
- Crimp tool
- Side cutters
- 10mm socket

Approximate install time is about an hour (if that), a very simple beginner level mod

Firstly, remove your factory head unit ( see this guide here )

Once you have it out of the way, located this plug on the harness, this goes directly to the antenna control unit in the trunk. You need to snip the Black+White wire with enough length on either side to add crimp terminals

As a test you can mock up the rocker switch directly inline and test the extend/retract function. Take note of which way is up/down as you will need to remember when you install the switch in its final location

Once you have tested, you can go ahead and crimp up some wires coming from the harness long enough to reach the desired location of your rocker switch

I chose this spot next to my headlight washer button as there was already an accessory blanking plate with a hole through it from an old handsfree phone kit install. I printed out the antenna logo sticker with a vinyl cutter for added OEM feel

Last edited by 1JAYZ; 06-01-18 at 12:42 AM. Reason: added youtube link
The following 2 users liked this post by 1JAYZ:
Lutkis (05-31-18), Madkiw (05-31-18)
Old 05-31-18, 07:06 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Do the cars in Australia have an antenna that raises up? Its hidden on all the US spec cars
Old 05-31-18, 07:37 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes ....its on the right rear quarter panel!
Old 05-31-18, 11:52 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Do the cars in Australia have an antenna that raises up? Its hidden on all the US spec cars
Euro models also has them.

Op, does it still raise up automatically when turning the radio on? It would be ideal if it'd raise up and after that I could hide it manually if I want to.

Edit: ..and also, great tutorial once again!
Old 06-01-18, 12:40 AM
1JAYZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lutkis
Euro models also has them.

Op, does it still raise up automatically when turning the radio on? It would be ideal if it'd raise up and after that I could hide it manually if I want to.

Edit: ..and also, great tutorial once again!
if the switch is in the “on” position, it will function as per normal as if the switch isn’t there, with the switch “off” it breaks the connection going to the aerial controller itself so even after turning off and on the head unit, or going from CD to Radio it won’t auto extend until you manually throw the switch. This video might explain it better il add the link into the 1st post