GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lecus GS400, 1999, Engine oil low/high

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-18, 11:24 AM
iamhippo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lecus GS400, 1999, Engine oil low/high

When I start my car in the morning, the engine sounds rough/loud than what it used to be before, so, I've checked the engine oil right away, engine oil is very low, so, turned off the engine, check oil again before I add more oil, oil level seems normal and almost to the max, odd. So, I've add more oil for it to level out at max.

I thought when the engine is running, engine oil level is high and high when it's hot, oil expand when it's hot, yes?
I use synthetic oil 5w-30.
Does anybody have this happened to them before or know why I'm having issues? I'll check again later when the engine is on to see what's the engine level is when the engine is running. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
Old 06-11-18, 08:38 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I'm not really sure what you mean but the oil level on the dipstick will always read higher when the engine is off than when its running. When the engine is off all of the oil drains back into the pan and when its running some of that oil is in the passages of the block and in the head so the level in the pan is lower. When I change my oil I go by the level when the engine is off
Old 06-14-18, 04:35 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine has an interesting phenomenon.

Note: I have a 2 quart oil filter. I fill 7 quarts with the oil change.

Let it sit overnight, it USUALLY (not always) shows very high on the stick.
Start it, drive it to work (1 hour), shut it off, wait 5-10 min. Oil level spot on full. Come back a few hours later, still spot on full.
Sometimes in the morning it shows spot on, sometimes high (2 inches over fill line)

I run oil analysis and 25-30k oil changes. Runs perfectly. Oil analysis shows engine very healthy, no abnormal wear anywhere. Ran 18 months (27k miles) on last oil change. Only used 2 quarts of oil for 27k miles.

I leave it alone, as long as when the engine is hot, and sat for 10 min or so, and the oil is good, that is the important level. Shoot for that only.
Old 06-18-18, 05:52 AM
iamhippo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I'm not really sure what you mean but the oil level on the dipstick will always read higher when the engine is off than when its running. When the engine is off all of the oil drains back into the pan and when its running some of that oil is in the passages of the block and in the head so the level in the pan is lower. When I change my oil I go by the level when the engine is off
ok, thanks. Yes, after I've submitted the question, I've realized that too, silly of me....haha