GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 04:53 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Extended Warranty?

Anyone here purchased extended warranty w/ their Lexus? What kina of a price should I expect if I want to buy extended warranty for a..say GS430? Any other deals out there?
Old 07-17-03, 05:03 PM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

z32, tomorrow, if all goes well, I expect to purchase a 2003 GS430. I will be considering getting a Lexus extended warranty, if the price is right. The Lexus extended warranties seem to be pretty pricey.

Did you look on the Lexus website? They list the MSRP for the various warranties offered by Lexus. To find it on the lexus.com website, you have to go into the financial services section of the website, and you will eventually see a link for "Vehicle protection". click on this link to get the information, including the two kinds of warranties (Gold vs. Platinum) .

I do not know if, or how much, dealers are willing to discount these. I will find out tomorrow.
Old 07-17-03, 05:05 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by btanchors
...I do not know if, or how much, dealers are willing to discount these. I will find out tomorrow.
Good luck with your purchase, lucky guy/gal!! Please share your experience (WRT the cost of the warranties) when you return.
Old 07-17-03, 11:05 PM
z32
Intermediate

I purchased extended warranty for one of my honda (02 Odyssey) from the dealer... they asked for 1450 (for 7yr 80,000 miles w/ 50 deductible). I negotiated down to $725 for 7yr 100,000miles w/ 0 deductible. So I'm wondering if the same, or almost the same (40-50% off) can apply to Lexus' Extended Warranty.

good luck Blanchors. keep us posted on the deal
Old 07-17-03, 11:24 PM
Jazziz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the Lexus 7yr/50k extended last Dec. a day before the 3 yr anniversary date. The cost is was $2208 zero deduct. You can to negotiate, but I don't think it works like that with Lex. Just my .02
Old 07-18-03, 03:52 AM
btanchors
Driver

z32,

Wow! Twilight zone material here....I also have a 2002 Honda Odessey, and negotiated the extended warranty. I can't remember whether I got the 6 year 100k mile or 7 year 100k mile, but they started out wanting over $1600k for it, and I got them down to about $850...Not as good as what you managed to get, but still pretty good.

We obviously have identical tastes in vehicles! I will definitely have something to report tonight to the group, and will post it as a response to this message.

Wish me luck, I will need it!

btanchors
Old 07-18-03, 04:37 PM
btanchors
Driver

z32 and everyone,

Well, I did it! new 2003 GS 430 is at home in my garage! I think I got a great deal, but will talk about that in another thread. Meanwhile, to address the extended warranty issue....

Bad news unfortunately. I had zero luck negotiating on the warranty. It was failrly easy to negotiate on the car itself, but zero luck with the warranty. I was interested in the platinum 6 year 100k mile extended plan from Lexus. We zoomed pretty quickly through the options. I indicated that I was interested in the extended warranty, but felt it was too expensive. No response other than to proceed to the next items (Lo-Jack, paint protection, etc.). After I said no to those, I mentioned again that I was interested in the warranty. The price she was quoting me was in the $2400.00 range. I asked her if she could be flexiible in the pricing. She told me that she is given no leeway with the prices on the extras, like the extended warranty. So, I turned it down.

We moved on with the rest of the paperwork...Afterwords, when it was obvious that the transaction was complete, I asked the financial lady why she was unwilling to negotiate on the price of the warranty. She said she is only given the ability to negotiate down about $100.00, and that's it. They generally do not negotiate prices on warranties. I told her I was still interested, and could she reconsider. She said they simply do not do this. I told her about my experience negotiating the warranty price on my Honda Odessey (see above). She told me that she used to work for Mercedes, and their warranties are in the $3600 range, depending on the model, term, etc., and that Mercedes does not negotiate these either. So...Bottom line, I did not purchase the warranty or any other extras. I figure I still have 3 years or 36k miles to decide to get it.

So, that's it. Unless someone hears otherwise, it looks like I will be doing without an extended warranty. If anyone hears of a dealer selling them over the internet (warranties only, without a car purchase) I might be interested....

If anyone has a different experience with Lexus extended warranty purchases, I would love to hear about it...
Old 07-18-03, 08:06 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, that's it. Unless someone hears otherwise, it looks like I will be doing without an extended warranty. If anyone hears of a dealer selling them over the internet (warranties only, without a car purchase) I might be interested....
If anyone has a different experience with Lexus extended warranty purchases, I would love to hear about it...
Wow, that's interesting. I purchased my Lexus 7 yr /100k (no deductible) platinum warranty for $1400 two years ago. This was when my GS had 34k mies on it. You should call different dealers for quotes. At the time of my purchase, I found that every dealer was offering a different price.
Old 07-19-03, 09:46 PM
z32
Intermediate

btanchors, Congrats on your new GS430!!!! I envy u on the new car...hehe... when will I get the GS4? depends I guess..but hope will happen soon. So may I ask u how much u paid for this GS?

again..congrats and enjoy your new GS and don't leave the Ody out LOL!

Jason.
Old 07-19-03, 10:19 PM
z32
Intermediate

btanchors, saw your post about your new GS.. What a great price u paid!!!! Now, if I buy a 03 GS, I hope that my dealer in the bay area will be able to offce close, if not exact / better, to your price... congrats again..

enjoy...

J
Old 07-28-03, 04:24 PM
btanchors
Driver

Extended Warranty Update...

Well, I just bought an extended warranty today. Got the Lexus Platinum 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty with ZERO deductible for $1,745.00 -- This is for my new GS430.

The way I did it - I just emailed about 6 dealers from the surrounding area where I live. Surprisingly, the worst offer I received came from where I purchased the car - $2,345! I also received a quote from another dealer for $1995. Another dealer tried to sell me a third party warranty, which I refused. I then asked her if she could quote me a price on the Lexus warranty, and she said they would not sell one to me!

So, in conclusion, you CAN get a better deal on an extended warranty. Just do an email blast to a bunch of dealers, near the end of a month. Doing this saved me well over $600!

Good Luck!
Old 07-28-03, 05:55 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extended Warranty Update...

Well, I just bought an extended warranty today. Got the Lexus Platinum 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty with ZERO deductible for $1,745.00 -- This is for my new GS430.

The way I did it - I just emailed about 6 dealers from the surrounding area where I live. Surprisingly, the worst offer I received came from where I purchased the car - $2,345! I also received a quote from another dealer for $1995. Another dealer tried to sell me a third party warranty, which I refused. I then asked her if she could quote me a price on the Lexus warranty, and she said they would not sell one to me!

So, in conclusion, you CAN get a better deal on an extended warranty. Just do an email blast to a bunch of dealers, near the end of a month. Doing this saved me well over $600!

Good Luck!
Great job! It's amazing how some dealers charge unbelievable prices. Anyhow, the extended warranty is great peace of mind, and from my experience, it's come in handy at times.
Old 07-28-03, 07:37 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what is cut off for getting an extended warranty for your car. I bought a 99 GS certified about 1.5 years ago. I have about 60k miles right now and about 1.5 years left for my warranty. Ill probably hit the 3 year mark before 100k. Is there a cut date where I have to purchase the extended warranty?