GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-07, 02:09 PM
GSkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another cool thing, some people may not know, but if you press the VSC button by the seat heaters it turns off that annoying beeping when you drift a corner or slide in the snow.
Old 12-28-07, 10:57 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSkid
another cool thing, some people may not know, but if you press the VSC button by the seat heaters it turns off that annoying beeping when you drift a corner or slide in the snow.
Umm.... You might want to read the owners manual and see what VSC does. Then, you'll realize exactly what the button is supposed to do and why you won't get any beeping.
Old 12-28-07, 11:00 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cadd
There's a way to fold down the rear seats to access the trunk!?!?!??
Nope. The rear seats are bolted into place. They don't fold down.
Old 12-29-07, 10:33 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
Umm.... You might want to read the owners manual and see what VSC does. Then, you'll realize exactly what the button is supposed to do and why you won't get any beeping.
lol...........
Old 12-30-07, 07:03 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jesod
I think to get to the NAV diagnostics turn the key to ON then hold the climate and audio buttons down while turning the park lights on and off about 3 times. You don't need to turn it up all the way, mine is definitely not distorted but it makes a definite difference.
Tried this in my 01 430 Navi/ML and below is the only screen I get. Now, my Navi says I'm in D.C. when I'm in San Diego. Can anyone help me with resetting the GPS?

Name:  1001.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  25.2 KB
Old 01-01-08, 03:23 PM
DinosGSlex
Driver School Candidate

Hey nice forum, do the wipers wipe correctly from the summer position. Tried it on my 04GS300 and it makes a loud clanking when wiping from the summer position. If I pop them up to the winter position everything seems fine. Helppp!
Old 01-01-08, 05:05 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Fixed it. Thanks
Old 01-02-08, 05:55 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DinosGSlex
Hey nice forum, do the wipers wipe correctly from the summer position. Tried it on my 04GS300 and it makes a loud clanking when wiping from the summer position. If I pop them up to the winter position everything seems fine. Helppp!
I have mine in the summer position and there is no sound at all, the only difference between winter position is that now my wipers don't wipe all the way to the left edge of the windshield, they stop about an inch to an inch and a half away ... Doesn't bother me though
Old 01-10-08, 01:30 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billh2
Originally Posted by gs-ireland
I know on some cars there is either a tiny toggle switch or it needs a solder blob added/removed on the A/C PCB to convert from C <-> F.

I am not sure on the GS2. There is one easyish way to find out, open it and see!
I have a spare climate control unit that was removed from what I assume to be a US car, when I installed it, it still read "C" which leads me to assume that it's getting it's information from somewhere else, I just don't know where.
Have any ideas?
Thanks
Bill
Did anybody figured this out yet? I don't read Fahrenheit
Old 01-10-08, 08:43 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

I have looked over the shop manual but can find no information. I was told that the climate control units for both US and Canada were identical, with the differences coming from the "climate control amplifier" supposedly located in the interior behind one of the panels. The quest continues.
Old 01-10-08, 08:49 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by GSkid

I have one ......

put the key in the ignition, turn it and the engine goes on

lol
Old 01-11-08, 10:26 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dRo15
Tried this in my 01 430 Navi/ML and below is the only screen I get. Now, my Navi says I'm in D.C. when I'm in San Diego. Can anyone help me with resetting the GPS?

I can't help since Im in the midwest but I can translate it for you but it you're in the "factory diagnostics" window

EMV.....................Audio H/U............Navi ECU
Gateway ECU..................................DSP Amp

....................................................Hideaway CD Changer

...................................................."Erase History" "Try Again"

Originally Posted by PR FIEBRU
I have one ......

put the key in the ignition, turn it and the engine goes on

lol
by far, the best feature ever
vroom vroom!!
Old 02-03-08, 06:18 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet just realized my wipers were in the winter position so I put them down into the summer position and it looks much better
Old 02-07-08, 05:56 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) Did you know that in Taiwan, and only Taiwan the 2nd Gen GS comes with headlight washers that are mounted close to flush in the bumper right below the lights. The switch for the Taiwan model is on the left hand of the steering column, in the place where the fold down coin tray, right next to the mirror switch. I have the wiring diagram, i just need the sprayers and the switch.

2) The 2nd and 3rd GS (not sure about the 1st) have what is called a Jet pump in the tank, since the GS is front engine rear wheel drive, the tank has to be massive to feed this 300 horsepower monster, the tank has 2 sides or baffles both are on opposite sides of the drive shaft... The purpose of the Jet pump is to create a high and low pressure to transfer fluid over the hump from side 2 to side 1, where the fuel pump pick up is..

here's a quote from turbo magazine on a IS300, but same design, they had a problem after upgrading the fuel pump, and set up to run forced induction, the jet valve is too restrictive to let the proper fuel flow... --> "To make things worse, the lay out of the fuel tank is like a saddle tank, so fuel had to be transferred from the passenger side to the driver side via a jet valve." Stevens says this jet valve works with the regulated pressure passing through an orifice to create a vacuum. "The vacuum side is connected to the passenger side of the fuel tank and sucks fuel over to the driver's side where the fuel pump is located." <--- That's it for now, i plan on adding a few things to this list, just have to have to time, and thought.
Old 02-07-08, 08:52 PM
eclipse604
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
1) Did you know that in Taiwan, and only Taiwan the 2nd Gen GS comes with headlight washers that are mounted close to flush in the bumper right below the lights. The switch for the Taiwan model is on the left hand of the steering column, in the place where the fold down coin tray, right next to the mirror switch. I have the wiring diagram, i just need the sprayers and the switch.
not true. its available on canadian models like mine

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known