GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 11:47 AM
camellips
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewGS4

4. In the glove box, you can get to the Air conditioner filter and clean it out. You can remove the panel by pulling it straight out and than slide out the A/C filter. I could not believe how dirty and filthy my filter was and I was breathing all that ****** when the AC was on.

http://members.bbnow.net/txalec/
Thanks for that tip.I did that today and boy was it dirty.
Old 09-12-08, 10:06 AM
grapedrink
Driver School Candidate

Default wiper stops

My wipers were in summer mode for the longest time until some ******* at my apartment set them in summer mode for me. I walked outside one day and my wipers were visibly in winter mode. Wtf! I've tried to set them into summer mode twice now but I've never heard the "POP" when you reach the final position. The wipers seem to get in the way of themselves when I'm pulling down. I end up having to lift up on the wipers off the glass 3 or 4 inches so the arms and blades don't hit each other and I swear I am pulling wayyy below the window. I guess I need to pull them down to where the drain grill is??? I want to hear that pop baby!!

Seriously tonight I am going to walk out to my car open the hood and rip the suckers down until I hear a loud Pop. Unless anyone says thats a bad idea lol

I noticed on one user submitted picture you could still see part of his wiper blade when he asked "Am I in summer mode?" I don't believe this is correct. It is my personal believe that these wipers in the picture are *not* fully in Summer Mode.

(picture from post#139)

BTW I have an '01 GS430..
I like a lot of people just read this fun thread. @ work! Most of you guys still have a factory radio? I have a really nice setup with Focals, 2 amps and 2 10" subs. I kinda wanna get horntones too but that might be too much and kinda gay.
I have a python alarm that was installed with remote starter the doors lock when I start the car and unlock when I take the key out. I'm not sure if that is because of the alarm though.
I also have no seatbelt beep. I bought the car used and it was already modded to hell with a 2800rpm torque converter, sway bars, and all my lights including my reverse lights are blue!
Thanx guyz Absolutely love all the tips
Old 09-12-08, 12:14 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. It's in summer mode, because if it's in winter mode, the wiper comes up and you can see them in the cabin.

1.5 I've noticed though sometimes after you turn the wiper off, it will retain a little bit higher than the summer mode....

2. Doors locking and unlocking when you start/turn off the car is from the alarm, it's programmed to do that, but not from factory, just like my old car's Compustar 2 way alarm with remote starter.

3. "modded to hell" what mods you've got?

4. I have factory Navi, it's just a pain to change to after market like my old alpine set up in my old car thus I left it alone, it's not like I need a system in my GS as it's so quiet that I just use about 1/4 of the volume.

5. 2 10" subs... so you've got 3 then? as there's a OEM one in the rear deck you could use, I just slapped a Kicker Comp free air in there and it's enough for me though...

6. Don't pull the wiper down to the drain, try pulling to winter mode again and pushing them back to summer to see if you get the pop, if not, theres' something wrong, does the wipers themselves work in the winter mode? see if it's out of alignment.

7. Welcome to the club.

A picture for reference, mine also sticks out a bit higher than the hood edge, and I have those thin flex rubber blades, thus you'll see less of the blade.....

it all depends on the angle/height you shot the picture at.
Attached Thumbnails Cool "hidden"  features about the GS that are not very known-sp_a01032.jpg  

Last edited by Solo_D33A; 09-12-08 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-30-08, 02:22 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know a "trick" to open the rear passenger door? For some reason, the door locking mechanism is broken and I can't open the door from the outside or inside. Any hidden tips for that?

Edwin
Old 09-30-08, 06:57 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by m32
Does anyone know a "trick" to open the rear passenger door? For some reason, the door locking mechanism is broken and I can't open the door from the outside or inside. Any hidden tips for that?

Edwin
well, i must say that you're SOL on that one.

if you really need to get it opened without getting it fixed, you'd probably have to crawl into the back seat, get the door panel off or at least partially removed, and pull the latch actuator cable to undo the latch. Good luck getting a door panel off a closed door, it'd be much easier to just get it fixed.
Old 10-02-08, 12:24 PM
21colvera
Driver School Candidate

not really a hidden "trick" but try taking the child safety lock off. it doesnt let u open it from the inside. i thought the door was broken once when i realized someone accidently hit the child lock on the side of the door
Old 10-02-08, 02:54 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

My brothers Mazda MPV had the same problem a few months back. We first got a new(er) inner door panel from the junk yard, then I used a dremmel with a cut-off tool to cut a big hole through the stuck door panel to gain access to the locking mechanisms. In his van, the problem was that the actuator got jammed. Had to use some brute force to free it up. Then we replaced the actuator also. Apparently this is a common problem with the last generation of Mazda MPV's

Not sure if this helps you in any way...
Old 10-07-08, 05:37 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seatbelts tighten up if the steering wheel is turned past a certain %, and I hate it! On the premium sound system (not ML), the set button on the steering wheel can be set at different levels to make a mute button, or where ever you desire to set the volume. Just set the volume to desired level, and press and hold "set".
Old 10-17-08, 11:53 PM
g35cali
Driver

cant believe i read all these pages..good read
Old 10-25-08, 06:18 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Drew,
Thanks for this hidden feature. I thought only the Mercedes-Benz has this kind of feature. I had tried #2 and it works great. I'm going to play with the rest of the features later. Keep us inform if you happen to find any more
hidden secrets that you would like us to know.

Thanks
Old 10-25-08, 07:20 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
The seatbelts tighten up if the steering wheel is turned past a certain %, and I hate it! On the premium sound system (not ML), the set button on the steering wheel can be set at different levels to make a mute button, or where ever you desire to set the volume. Just set the volume to desired level, and press and hold "set".
The set button on the steering wheel works the same on the ML system. I use it to mute the radio.
Old 10-25-08, 09:10 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Billh2
The set button on the steering wheel works the same on the ML system. I use it to mute the radio.
+1 I've been doing this since I got the car over a year ago, but I didn't think it was a hidden trick. I shoulda posted this awhile ago
Old 10-25-08, 09:38 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

I don't remember if this have been posted...
One time, my car had a flat, it seemed fine when I park it, but the next morning when I started up, and released the handbrake, the handbrake light kept on, I then looked outside, my right rear tire's very low. Shut the car, pumped the tire back up, the light's gone.
Old 11-06-08, 10:13 AM
supra_trd
Driver

Default Help

Hi,
I'm installing the alarm/remote starter into my GS430. The problem I'm having is every time I unlock the door, my steering wheel move in/out. Is there a way to stop the AUTO tilt function? According to the C-BEST setting(Tilt & Telescope AUTO TILT AWAY ON ON/OFF of auto
away/return function) what it is mean? Please help.
thanks
Old 11-06-08, 10:20 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by supra_trd
Hi,
I'm installing the alarm/remote starter into my GS430. The problem I'm having is every time I unlock the door, my steering wheel move in/out. Is there a way to stop the AUTO tilt function? According to the C-BEST setting(Tilt & Telescope AUTO TILT AWAY ON ON/OFF of auto
away/return function) what it is mean? Please help.
thanks
The C-Best settings can only be accessed by the computer interface with the appropriate Lexus software (They use an OTC scanner for this). This can be done by the $$$Lexus$$$ $$$Dealer$$$. I plan on making a list of the features I want changed and, with a giant size jar of Vasoline, going to the dealer and having them change the settings. It sure would be nice if someone would crack this code and modify a scanner to allow access to the C-Best features. (I was told you can buy the scanner and software, around 3K)

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known