GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-11, 11:19 PM
nsurnceguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merry Christmas guys,pretty awesome posts,learning quite a bit
on this forum.Im a new Lexus GS 430 owner,I used to frequent and drive
an Evo so this whole VIP ride is pretty cool.
Old 01-01-12, 02:00 PM
LexiBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the refresh course
Old 01-02-12, 02:50 PM
lisarayesman
Driver School Candidate

Just bought a 98 GS300 yesterday... First thing I did was #1 automatic windows & sunroof... Love it!!!!... Thanks
Old 01-15-12, 04:53 PM
GammaSigma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 7DOOBIE7
Just went to Chevron for some gas and decided to trying out the subwoofer mod i read on page #11 by JASOD.. FRiGGiN' AMAZING i couldn't believe the difference. Mega bass for free!!. No cracks, pops or distortion..A must do for anyone that enjoys better sounds.

And to chime in with the previous post, yes it does work. I've done all the tricks listed on here, that are non C-best types, and they all do work. Just try it again, maybe you are rushing it. I had to do the woofer mod twice as well.
Will this work on my 98 gs4 without a nav?
Old 01-17-12, 12:45 PM
GammaSigma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jesod
If you get to the P-190 screen this will work for you, just hold the AM button down 'til Audio comes up and then adjust as described above. This is only for the OEM that says Lexus Premium Sound on it.
Mine says "Lexus Nakamich Premium Sound System" will this work?
Old 01-18-12, 04:16 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 382 Likes on 225 Posts

Gamma, back when I had my Nakamichi, I tried this also to no avail. I believe it's for the Pioneer system only.
Old 01-18-12, 11:04 AM
DiVAStar
Rookie

I can't wait to try all these tips when I pick up my car!
Old 01-30-12, 11:31 PM
Lex41510
Rookie

definitely some things i didn't know about on here, thought only my 3 series could do #1.. thank you
Old 02-20-12, 07:53 PM
timtim14
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea seriously #1 is my favorite. I thought i explored every detail of my car but this thread literally made me realize the simplicity in the engineering i love LEXUS.
Old 02-24-12, 08:30 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
umm..... anyone verify this? i was in the car for 10 mins doing all kind of combo and i couldn't move the wheel towards myself anymore than what it's already at?
I would not do this. You are putting the actuator on its hard stops and that puts a lot of strain on the actuators gear train
Old 02-24-12, 09:32 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

That is pretty funny about the 1 and 6 buttons, feel you man I do that kind of stuff all the time.
I personally like mine on 7 on F and R and just adjusting P1 to 3 or 4, subtle changes but it makes the stock stereo much better as far as what I think sound good, and obviously that's all that matters to me
On mine it's F for front R for rear and W for woofer
Old 02-24-12, 10:28 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laumouth
regarding the stereo adjustments, jesod mentioned that he changed F and R to 7 and P1 to 3. later gs-ireland chimed in on what all the letters actually stand for... did anyone change any of the other settings such as the W(woofer), P2, or L? if so what did you set them to or is changing just the F, R, and P1 good enough?
The way I understand it is that it is setting the limits of your base treble and midrange that you can adjust with the base treble and midrange *****. So if you put P2 higher then when you max out your bass it will give you more bass. Same for the treble and midrange so if you put p2 higher and later you want less bass you can simply lower it with the normal bass **** rather than going back into the diagnostic mode. The reason you don't notice the change in the midrange and treble is because most people only have the bass maxed out on the ****. P2 is the minimum limit so you probably will not notice anything when you adjust P2 because nobody puts their bass treble or midrange on the minimum level. The L lowers the volume of the speakers when you answer your cell phone that came with your car ( if your car has that option) so this one will probably not be noticed by anyone since I doubt anyone is using the antiquated factory cell phone.

One warning on lowering the volume of the speakers (F and R) and increasing the limits on the bass. This should be no problem if you don't crank the volume high but at high volumes you could be overdriving your speakers ( I'm talking if you have stock speakers) and could rip the cones. So if you do this mod before you crank the volume super loud turn down your bass from the max setting using the normal bass control **** then when you turn the volume back down it's ok to turn the bass (with the normal bass control ****) back up so you get good bass at lower volumes
Old 04-03-12, 04:50 PM
PUREgs
Pole Position

Nice hidden features...never would of found some of them myself. Haha
Old 04-03-12, 05:04 PM
PUREgs
Pole Position

My favorite that I haven't seen mentioned is being able to adjust the subwoofer volume and the equilizer setting by hacking into the headunit.
Hold down 1 and 6 push CD 3 times and then hold down the AM button for 4 seconds and adjust and enjoy, you always have to go back to Audio and then shut off the car for the adjustments to work. Toggle between the FM and Tape adjustments from my knowledge P1 ups the sub I usually have mine on 3, 4 or sometimes 5 if I'm feeling really bassy. The F and R I usually have at 5 but sometimes up to 7, this works inversely the higher the number the more it suppresses the front and rear compared to the sub, it's more complicated than that some techie will get on here and yell at me but that's how I can understand it. Helps stock sub tremendously IMHO. I think to get to the NAV diagnostics turn the key to ON then hold the climate and audio buttons down while turning the park lights on and off about 3 times.
Nice! It works, made a big difference. Just have to mess with the settings more. Thanks
Old 04-03-12, 07:09 PM
martin2301
Driver School Candidate

nice good info

Quick Reply: Cool "hidden" features about the GS that are not very known