GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Items, Apexi WS exhaust and rotors from Steve at Carson Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-03, 09:33 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had those same rotors (Drilled / Slotted) and pads (EBC) but I found with the slots that they wore the pads out alot earlier that expected.. When my little bro bought the GS from me he changed the rotors to drilled only and it seems alot smoother and quieter when stopping.. I at first thought my Lexus dealer installed the rotors on the wrong side but after looking at yours they are the same.. Do you find that you feel the slots when you brake??

As for the rusting issue with Silver Cad plating they do rust but it takes a long time for that to happen.. 2 winters in my case..

BTW love that exhaust setup.. Is it a CAT back or just a rear exhaust like the L-Tuned?
Old 07-21-03, 11:36 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jbbnet
they rust??? I was told they wouldnt rust. I specifically asked and they said the coating wouldn't rust. Can you send me a picture of your?

I'm curious what i can do to prevent this.
JBBNET:

Whoever told you did not have a good knowledge source/experience. It is an undeniable fact that, in time, the coating will rust - it may take a little longer to do so but they will eventually rust. It's the laws of nature. My rotors did the same thing...Sorry, it cannot be preventable because the coating will wear off on the rotor surface as you apply the brakes. The rotor hat also will eventually get rusted as well. To prevent that, you can paint the rotor hats.

It's all part of the wear and tear process of a car and the brakes most definitely are a wear and tear part!

Brent
Old 07-21-03, 11:42 AM
RIPP7399
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would you paint the rotor hats with same hi temp paint as you would with calipers..... ...
or more specifically the 3 step process that tire rack sells?? i was gonna use it on the calipers
Old 07-21-03, 11:57 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RIPP7399
would you paint the rotor hats with same hi temp paint as you would with calipers..... ...
or more specifically the 3 step process that tire rack sells?? i was gonna use it on the calipers
I would just use paint in a spray can used for hi-temp engine parts. Any local auto parts store would have it for sale. I used it on the calipers and it works fine...The one that tirerack sells (is it Foliatec?) should be fine but it's expensive...

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 07-21-03 at 11:58 AM.
Old 07-21-03, 12:43 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ditto 2SAVVY! My pads wore out quick, but the rotors warped in no time!! I'm giving the Rotora brand rotors a try before I go back to stock. Also, I think the EBC pads are too agressive, and mine even cracked! -And that's from mostly freeway driving.
Old 07-21-03, 02:19 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

the exhaust is a full cat back style without the resonatores. The apexi WS is stainless steel muffler and back, the cat to the muffler is somesoft of ceramic coating. Anyone know what it is and is it stainless steel also? They say it's one of the louder ones. It's not bad. I wouldn't want anything louder for a sedan.

The EBC bads sucked on the stock rotors. I wore them out in 5000 miles. (I must drive like every day is a nascar race) The rotors are making a high speed click when they spin against the pad. I noticed it goes away when you press on the brake to compress the pad and rotor.

I wasn't sure if i had the rotors backwards. It looked correct but they weren't labeled.

Over all I don't notice much with the brakes. I have 77k miles on my car now. This was a complete overhaul of the brakes.

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
I had those same rotors (Drilled / Slotted) and pads (EBC) but I found with the slots that they wore the pads out alot earlier that expected.. When my little bro bought the GS from me he changed the rotors to drilled only and it seems alot smoother and quieter when stopping.. I at first thought my Lexus dealer installed the rotors on the wrong side but after looking at yours they are the same.. Do you find that you feel the slots when you brake??

As for the rusting issue with Silver Cad plating they do rust but it takes a long time for that to happen.. 2 winters in my case..

BTW love that exhaust setup.. Is it a CAT back or just a rear exhaust like the L-Tuned?