GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tail lights conversion do 01+ Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-18, 07:36 AM
paulofvf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail lights conversion do 01+ Question

Hello guys,
I recently bought a 99 GS300 with 190k in silver!! really love this car.

However i want to swap taillights for the 01+, think they look a lot better. I already searched about this and noticed people say that i need the 01+ harness, my doubt is: Do i need only the harness that connects directly to the tailights (most tailights for sale come with it) or do i need both this harness and also the one that connects from the tailights harness to the car?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-31-18, 10:02 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

From my recollection, there is one connector that connects to all of the bulbs in the tail light though a small harness. The connector to the tails is the same though all years but the harness of the newer rear light is slightly different than the older style. you can still cut your old one and make it work but its harder.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-harness.html
Old 08-31-18, 10:18 AM
paulofvf
Driver School Candidate

Thanks

so if i use the harness from the new taillights (01+) it should plug directly to the connector on the car, correct?

only if the lights came without any harness i would have to cut and rewire.

is this correct?
Old 08-31-18, 10:31 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Correct. All you need is the harness that comes with the 01 plus lights. It will be plug and play!
Old 08-31-18, 04:29 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The only difference is the reverse light and length of wires to each bulb as they are positioned differently. But that harness will plug and play into any pre-01facelift
Old 09-14-18, 07:25 AM
accrdpusha
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is different with the reverse light?
Old 10-06-18, 08:04 AM
paulofvf
Driver School Candidate

Ok just received my 01+ taillights!

i can see the difference in the reverse light, the bulb is not the same but also there are 4 lights on the 01+ and only 3 on the 98, the one missing is an adittional tail light that exists on the 01+! What should i do! Leave one of those tail lights without bulb?

also i noticed that these lights arrived with a wire cutted (green) on both the turn signals, is there a reason for it?
Old 10-06-18, 10:08 AM
firelizard

Received 448 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by paulofvf
Thanks

so if i use the harness from the new taillights (01+) it should plug directly to the connector on the car, correct?

only if the lights came without any harness i would have to cut and rewire.

is this correct?
Originally Posted by Letsride
Correct. All you need is the harness that comes with the 01 plus lights. It will be plug and play!
Originally Posted by TW99GS300
The only difference is the reverse light and length of wires to each bulb as they are positioned differently. But that harness will plug and play into any pre-01facelift
Doesn't this answer your question? Do you have the 01+ harness?
Old 10-08-18, 05:02 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason for the cut wire on the turns is possibly that they were wired, for some reason, as running lights, too.
You cannot run rear running lights from your turn signals, so that wire is not needed. Fronts do not do that, either.
Old 10-25-18, 07:28 AM
paulofvf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firelizard
Doesn't this answer your question? Do you have the 01+ harness?
Hello! sorry for taking so long but i went on big holidays eheh!

Yep it does answer my question but i cannot seem to make te outer tail lights work, only the inner (not talking about the center ones in the boot)
Old 10-25-18, 07:30 AM
paulofvf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmanO
The reason for the cut wire on the turns is possibly that they were wired, for some reason, as running lights, too.
You cannot run rear running lights from your turn signals, so that wire is not needed. Fronts do not do that, either.
mm, might be ,i tried connecting them with wire put together and apart but found no difference.
Old 10-25-18, 07:37 AM
paulofvf
Driver School Candidate

Ok so now i hace a big problem and the only thing i can relate is changing the tail lights.

So i have left the car standing without driving months, the battery was always ok! But this time i went away for 3 weeks, 2 days after changing the tail lights and on returning the battery is dead. CHarged the battery and 2 days later it is dead again, battery is brand new.

When checking for the battery drain i found that with the car off it is draining about 1Amp, removed fuses and found out that without the ECU B1 the drain is only 0.2amp.

When i was changing the tail lights i had a lot of problems making bulbs light, i removed the working bulbs from the old tailights and inserted them into the 01+ ones but only 2 bulbs worked, the worked wherever i inserted them, but the other ones no. Bought new philips bulbs with the same specs but was the same, none worked and only some of the old bulbs worked. After a while removing bulbs from the inner tail lights trying all the sockets i made most of them work except the outer tail lights (no bulb could light those). During this experiment sometimes when i would take a bulb or insert another (with lights on) the radio would disconnect and connect again by itself. After this the brake warning light was always on even with handbrake off.

Damn how can some taillights bring all these problems......
Old 10-25-18, 08:21 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Did you use the newer harness to connect the updated tail lights or did you splice the original one for the older set?
Old 10-25-18, 08:32 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Your method of trial and error will burn your car to the ground. Why reinvent the wheel? Use the 01 plus harness and be done.
Old 10-25-18, 08:45 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by paulofvf
Ok so now i hace a big problem and the only thing i can relate is changing the tail lights.

So i have left the car standing without driving months, the battery was always ok! But this time i went away for 3 weeks, 2 days after changing the tail lights and on returning the battery is dead. CHarged the battery and 2 days later it is dead again, battery is brand new.

When checking for the battery drain i found that with the car off it is draining about 1Amp, removed fuses and found out that without the ECU B1 the drain is only 0.2amp.

When i was changing the tail lights i had a lot of problems making bulbs light, i removed the working bulbs from the old tailights and inserted them into the 01+ ones but only 2 bulbs worked, the worked wherever i inserted them, but the other ones no. Bought new philips bulbs with the same specs but was the same, none worked and only some of the old bulbs worked. After a while removing bulbs from the inner tail lights trying all the sockets i made most of them work except the outer tail lights (no bulb could light those). During this experiment sometimes when i would take a bulb or insert another (with lights on) the radio would disconnect and connect again by itself. After this the brake warning light was always on even with handbrake off.

Damn how can some taillights bring all these problems......
sounds more like a "you problem." People have been doing this correctly for well over a decade. You have the blueprint, now follow it or....burn your car up. Your choice smdh.

Quick Reply: Tail lights conversion do 01+ Question