GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lost only master key

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 04:18 AM
Sinnerav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost only master key

2000 GS300-->
I only got one master key when I purchased the car.
It DID NOT come with any of the following...NO key fob, NO spare master key, NO key card, NO valet key.
So I took my family one weekend to the beach and disaster struck... The one and only key I had mysteriously vanished. This cost me a small fortune already because towing a car just under 120 miles is NOT cheap.

This is what I came up with :
1) I found a local locksmith that quoted me $100 to povide a single unprogrammed OEM Lexus transponder key and cut it by using the vin # to get the key code.
2) I called the local Toyota dealership and asked one of their "Master Techs" if I provide a brand new key that has been cut using the key code by a locksmith and have the car towed to the dealership can he program the new key to the car.
The tech at the dealership said yes he can and quoted me $60 to program the brand new precut key to my car.

My Question is this :
Is it possible for the dealership to program a brand new fresh cut key thats NOT programmed to my car WITHOUT any master keys, key fobs, etc etc...

Or is it true that the Immobilizer ECU MUST be replaced? As It says on the document I found during my research on the matter? Document provided by website shown on the bottom right corner of the page. The statement Im referring to is between the 2 red dots.

Any questions, comments, advice , thoughts, or educated information will be highly appreciated.

Please clarify any responds to this so there is no chance of it misunderstood or misinterpreted in any way.

FOR ALL OF YOU THAT HAS TAKEN TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY TO HELP ME OUT WITH THIS.
THANK YOU AND AGAIN I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

Paul Jr
So☆Cal Lavish Lexus's

Last edited by Sinnerav; 09-19-18 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 09:08 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

From what I remember the 98-00 ECU's use a rom based software so you can have up to 3 key reprograms and can not go past that number but the 01-05 ECU's can be reprogrammed with no limit on new keys due to a different software. If you are trying to avoid the Lexus dealer then look for locksmiths and ebay listings for ECU key programing. You will have to remove your ecu under the hood and send it in so they can perform the service.

I would go to the Lexus dealer to buy a new master key and they will cut it to your vin for free (bring in your car title and your state id as well) and keep that new cut key for the reprogram. I paid $141 for my new master key from my local dealer 2 years ago.
Old 10-20-18, 06:31 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

On years 1998-2003 you cannot add keys without a master key. You will need to get your eeprom revirginized. The dealer won't do this. Some locksmiths can, but it will cost a few pennies. There is a way to reprogram your ecu. Search google for immobilizer hack. Once you get it figured out it is simple. I have found it easier to pull the eeprom from the board, program it, then resolder to the board. I have done this many times with a 100% success rate. I also have programmed new eeproms and replaced the old one.
Old 10-23-18, 10:59 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mauser
On years 1998-2003 you cannot add keys without a master key. You will need to get your eeprom revirginized. The dealer won't do this. Some locksmiths can, but it will cost a few pennies. There is a way to reprogram your ecu. Search google for immobilizer hack. Once you get it figured out it is simple. I have found it easier to pull the eeprom from the board, program it, then resolder to the board. I have done this many times with a 100% success rate. I also have programmed new eeproms and replaced the old one.
It's actually 98-00, the post 00 facelift can be flashed with Techstream.
Old 10-30-18, 03:26 PM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sinnerav, I can help with this if you're still looking for solutions.
Old 11-01-18, 07:21 AM
Briangs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
Sinnerav, I can help with this if you're still looking for solutions.
I am looking for a solution to this. My keys recently burnt in a house fire. I had a new key cut but not programmed
Old 11-01-18, 07:27 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Briangs
I am looking for a solution to this. My keys recently burnt in a house fire. I had a new key cut but not programmed
OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about your house. I hope everyone is OK.

If you already have a cut key and just need it programmed to the ECU, you can use our Immobilizer Programming Service HERE. As a new sponsor for ClubLexus, we set up a special discount for members here that's good until the end of the year. Use coupon code ClubLexus2018 during checkout for the discount.

Old 11-01-18, 08:23 AM
Briangs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about your house. I hope everyone is OK.

If you already have a cut key and just need it programmed to the ECU, you can use our Immobilizer Programming Service HERE. As a new sponsor for ClubLexus, we set up a special discount for members here that's good until the end of the year. Use coupon code ClubLexus2018 during checkout for the discount.
awesome and thank you. If I could be contacted by phone @ 5014780730 I have a few questions before sending my ecu out. Thanks again