GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

new toy.... (TTE Lip)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 05:40 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that this lip should be "professional mounted" by a qualified body shop. Are you saying that it's possible to DIY? How does it mount if you DIY? What does "molding" it to the front bumper entail?
Old 07-25-03, 06:32 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

no i am getting it painted/installed by D2 Techniks out in alhambra
Old 07-26-03, 05:21 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by BuyERTS
I was under the impression that this lip should be "professional mounted" by a qualified body shop.
It should. No doubt.
Old 07-26-03, 06:14 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sleep

if you are somewhat handy save yourself for burning the extra cash and mount it yourself.. it is quite simple but dont use the adhesive they sent , its not that great .. see if you can get a tube of urethene adhesive that they use to make windshields stay in place , windshield places have and use it.. it very pliable and very forgiving while working with it , it wont harden or dry on you after applying it for at least 30 -45 mins but once it sets and cures (overnight) you will have to cut it off your bumper.. as far as heat making the adhesive melt or thin out after curing , not a issue here in south florida (ft lauderdale) we avg 93+ per day high humidty .. trick is proper surface prep.. you need 2 people , 1 to help hold in place , 1 to scribe a line where its going to fit , then use brillo and sandpaper to rough up area below scribe mark and on the inside of the lip , use mineral spirits to clean both areas , get the 4 screws ready , apply a thin bead of the adhesive to the lip only all the way around and with the 2 of you mount it 1 holds in place while the other screws it in place ,, right after that get the blue painters masking tape (the kind that will not damage paint upon removal) and tape it in place all the way around bumper ,, drive your car into your garage , dont hit anything with the lip to move it out of place , get something just high enough to place under front edge of lip in 4 places , each corner and 2 in middle to brace it in place overnight , and the next morning done , never to come off without cutting it

by the way i had me dealships body guy paint and bake mine in a few hours 1 mornings for $75 for both my tte lip and ugo roof spoiler

heres what my lip looks like (by the way my friend and i mounted one on each others car , we mounted 2 of them in less than 1/1/2 hr)
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/da...0_1318-med.jpg
Old 07-26-03, 08:12 AM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

well i am somewhat handy...but it will be my first time mounting a lip with adhesive...and i am to scared of messing it up. I just dont really wanna try to learn how to mount it myself on my lexus, i dont want to come off like i dont kno wat a dollar is worth, but i just dont want to take that chance of screwing it up on my lexus. I'd rather someone else who knows how to do it put it on, and if they mess up then i at least have someone to scream at and pay for the mistakes. I mean i would rather learn these things on a beater car, ya kno?

-B
Old 07-26-03, 08:42 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sleep

im hear ya , i do everything on my car myself in my garage as a hobby (i am a real estate investor /broker by trade)

take the lip if you already have not done so , test fit it and you will see in your mind everything falls into place... there is no trick or skill req for this its very direct... once you use a soft pencil to scribe a line so you know exactly where to sand , which of course is below the line then your are safe... the mounting position for the screws you should mark with a sharp point again with someone holding it in place for ya, then remove lip and drill a very small pilot hole for the screws so when you have the adhesive on the lip touch the bumper you are not moving it around driving to start the screws.. once you get to that point make sure you have aclean cloth with the mineral spirits handy to wipe off the excess amount of adhesive that will ooze out a bit,,remmember a thin bead of that urethene to urethene adhesive is all you need ..i used tele books and a couple of small buckets that fit just right under the lip to put just a little tension on the lip to the bumper so when it cures there are no gaps ..

believe me bro its simple , i am just saying it for the extra $200 can be spent on another upgrade but if you are still uncomfotable then dont second guess it

good luck whichever route you chose