GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I ordered a new key and it's not being reprogrammed. Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 03:13 PM
JMan23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I ordered a new key and it's not being reprogrammed. Car won't start

Edit: What's considered master key? Maybe I don't have the master key?

Lost my fob days ago and ordered a new key as instructed by another poster

I have the master key. Followed instructions to a T and nothing. I've read the bolded and realized my red light does not go off on step 1

Note: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will be come on and start blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

My red light does not stop blinking when I insert the master key

Last edited by JMan23; 11-08-18 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-08-18, 04:20 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

It’s been a really long time since I’ve done this but I had to cycle the doorlocks manually not with the power door lock switch
Old 11-08-18, 04:25 PM
JMan23
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexo98
It’s been a really long time since I’ve done this but I had to cycle the doorlocks manually not with the power door lock switch

No, I'm talking starting the car. Not the doors
Old 11-08-18, 10:21 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Just because you have a physical key for the purpose of opening the door and trunk does not make it a master key for programming the new key to start the car.
You will need a master key transponder key transponder to program the new key. When you insert the master the security light will immediately shut off.
Since you lost your other key, where did you come up with this key you are trying to program with?
Old 11-08-18, 10:24 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

You were asked a question on this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10352441
But you seemed to have ignored the guy that was trying to help you.
Old 11-09-18, 07:26 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Adding another key requires an EXISTING master key that is already programmed and operating the vehicle. Is your existing key (not your new one) truly a master key? With no key in the ignition, observe the immobilizer light, it should be flashing every couple seconds. Keep watching the immobilizer light and insert the key into the ignition, then refer below:

1. The immobilizer light immediately goes out. You have a master key.
2. The immobilizer light goes solid for a few seconds, then extinguishes. You have a valet key.
3. The immobilizer light continues to flash, the key is either not programmed, the key buzzer switch in the ignition is bad, or there is another problem with the immobilizer system.

If #3 and you're positive you have a programmed key, then further diagnosis is required, some checks are easy, but for the interest of saving myself some time typing it out necessarily, I'll omit that stuff unless it's needed.

If #2, then we offer a service to get you a programmed master key, or program your new key that you recently purchased into the ECU as a master.
Old 11-09-18, 07:41 AM
JMan23
Rookie

Originally Posted by EZCarKeys
Adding another key requires an EXISTING master key that is already programmed and operating the vehicle. Is your existing key (not your new one) truly a master key? With no key in the ignition, observe the immobilizer light, it should be flashing every couple seconds. Keep watching the immobilizer light and insert the key into the ignition, then refer below:

1. The immobilizer light immediately goes out. You have a master key.
2. The immobilizer light goes solid for a few seconds, then extinguishes. You have a valet key.
3. The immobilizer light continues to flash, the key is either not programmed, the key buzzer switch in the ignition is bad, or there is another problem with the immobilizer system.

If #3 and you're positive you have a programmed key, then further diagnosis is required, some checks are easy, but for the interest of saving myself some time typing it out necessarily, I'll omit that stuff unless it's needed.

If #2, then we offer a service to get you a programmed master key, or program your new key that you recently purchased into the ECU as a master.

I bought the car from a used dealer. The light doesn't turn off and from what my dad said, it's not the master key. I had no idea cars have a ''master key'

I called a locksmith and he says it'll be $185 to program my new key. I don't know any other routes.

Sorry for the multiple threads guys. It's been almost a week since I've driven and I just want to get back on the road

Last edited by JMan23; 11-09-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 07:44 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JMan23
I bought the car from a used dealer. The light doesn't turn off and from what my dad said, it's not the master key. I had no idea cars have a ''master key'

I called a locksmith and he says it'll be $185 to program my new key. I don't know any other routes
What year is your GS?
Old 11-09-18, 07:47 AM
JMan23
Rookie

What year is your GS?
It's a 2001.

I visited your site and it looks like you charge around $150? I'd rather pay extra for the convince of not having it shipped and someone coming out here. I haven't called anyone else but l dont think I'll beat $185
Old 11-09-18, 07:54 AM
EZCarKeys
Former Sponsor

Just to verify, you have no key that will currently start the vehicle correct?

$185 is definitely a good price, if they can do it. Especially if he's coming to you and doing the removal and replacement of the ECU. But that locksmith may not know that keys can't be programmed through the diagnostic port on this vehicle and improperly quoted you. You may want to double check with them. I've seen locksmiths make this error before.

If it doesn't work out, our Lexus Immobilizer Service is what you'd want to order since you already have a cut key that only needs to be programmed. Club Lexus members can get a $25 discount by using the coupon code ClubLexus2018 during checkout.
Old 11-09-18, 08:31 AM
JMan23
Rookie

Just to verify, you have no key that will currently start the vehicle correct?

$185 is definitely a good price, if they can do it. Especially if he's coming to you and doing the removal and replacement of the ECU. But that locksmith may not know that keys can't be programmed through the diagnostic port on this vehicle and improperly quoted you. You may want to double check with them. I've seen locksmiths make this error before.

If it doesn't work out, our Lexus Immobilizer Service is what you'd want to order since you already have a cut key that only needs to be programmed. Club Lexus members can get a $25 discount by using the coupon code ClubLexus2018 during checkout.
No. The key the dealership gave me doesn't deactivate the alarm. The light still flashes, so reprogramming the new key doesn't work

I gave him my car's year and model, but will verify with him again. He has good reviews so I figure he knows what he's doing

Last edited by JMan23; 11-09-18 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-09-18, 12:22 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

...call your Lexus dealer.
Here in Austin they charge 1/2 hour labor to program a new master key, about $80.
You have to get the car to them, so logistics will add to your cost.

Good Luck

Last edited by FrankT; 11-09-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 11:09 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FrankT
...call your Lexus dealer.
Here in Austin they charge 1/2 hour labor to program a new master key, about $80.
You have to get the car to them, so logistics will add to your cost.

Good Luck
Not if he has lost all master key transponders. That's the dealer's hourly rate for just programming a key with another existing master key transponder.
There is an entire process the dealer has to go thru just to get the seed code to reflash it and would only work for vehicles that are 01+.
People with copies of techstream and the seed code calculator can do it themselves. But would need to be with the car in order to reset the eeprom in the ECU.

If the locksmith guarantees his work for $185 then go with that and definitely make a few spare keys while you are at it.
Old 11-12-18, 11:42 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
Not if he has lost all master key transponders. That's the dealer's hourly rate for just programming a key with another existing master key transponder.
There is an entire process the dealer has to go thru just to get the seed code to reflash it and would only work for vehicles that are 01+.
People with copies of techstream and the seed code calculator can do it themselves. But would need to be with the car in order to reset the eeprom in the ECU.

If the locksmith guarantees his work for $185 then go with that and definitely make a few spare keys while you are at it.
Speaking from personal experiance...
We buy cars at auction a few times a year, some with no keys. In those cases the car, on the trailer, goes straight to the dealer for a new key.
Last car was a 2000 SC430, we purchase a non FOB key that was programed as a master.

I do agree though; it might be the way to go if, you can get a locksmith to come to you, cut a key and program it as a master for $185.

Last edited by FrankT; 11-12-18 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 12:28 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Anything that has to do with entering, exiting, and starting the vehicle, don’t go cheap. Go to the dealer. Do it one time and do it right.

Quick Reply: I ordered a new key and it's not being reprogrammed. Car won't start