GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pondering the GS430

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 09:38 PM
Troy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pondering the GS430

We just started a family and were looking at four doors. My requirements are at least 300 hp and navigation. So the GS430 falls in there... along w/ a few others. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from some owners. I'm especially curious about the voice navigation and how you like it. Thanks for the input and maybe I'll become a owner of a new GS.
Old 07-26-03, 11:04 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your budget allows...the GS430, imho, is one of the best cars $$ can buy...
Old 07-27-03, 12:10 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

By voice NAV you mean that it talks to you right? Cause the GS does not have voice activated NAV - actually it doesn't have a lot of new features (laser cruise, cooled seats, etc). You need to move up to an LS if you want that. Most people on the board would recommend that you drive a GS, 540, and A6 4.2 and pick the one you like best. There are some great deals out on GSs and 540s right now -not sure about the A6 however. Just make sure you drive them all.

Doug
Old 07-27-03, 06:56 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Troy,

I am in a somewhat similar situation, except that I just purchased my new GS430 9 days ago! It's currently in my garage getting its first coat of Lexol on the seats, Vynalex on the dash and Zymol on the outside....

Anyway, mine has the navigation feature, not because I had to have it, but I got that option because I am fascinated by the technology. You do need to be more specific when you say the phrase "Voice navigation", though.

As others have pointed out, the LS430 actually has voice actuated navigation, which means that you can give it commands in voice and the nav system will execute interactively via voice with the driver.

The GS430 does provide voice guidance for navigational purposes, but does not accept voice commands. In other words, a voice will come over the audio speakers things like "proceed 1/4 mile to Elm street" or "in 1/10 mile, turn left", and other similar sorts of things. Is this sufficient for your needs? If so, the GS430 nav will be fine...If you truly want to be able to give voice commands, you'll need to step up to the LS430.

I really like the Nav system, though. But it's no replacement for local knowledge of the area. I have played around with it on destinations I normally travel to. Sometimes, it picks routes I would not have chosen. But it has never chosen a route I felt was unreasonable or incorrect.

Anyway, I also looked at the Infinity M45. 340 hp in the M45 seemed appealing, but there was something about it that bugged me...Never could put my finger on it. I do wish the GS430 had that laser-controlled cruise control, though!

In your post, your comment said that you just started a family. I deliberately held off getting the Lexus until the kids were a bit older, but they're still too young (8 and 10) to be allowed to bring food or beverages in the car!

I didn't look too seriously at Mercedes Benz, BMW, or Audi. All nice automobiles, but they're just too expensive to own, in my opinion, between maintenance and insurance.

The bottom line: What pushed me to the GS430 were the following:

1) Past experience with Toyotas (owned a Cressida and two V6 camrys)
2) The reliability and quality reputation of Lexus in general
3) The GS430 seemed to be tailor made for me...I wanted a car with both a luxurious and sporty feeling at the same time, and the GS fits this nicely.

Search through this same board for the past two weeks and you should find my experience with the dealers shopping for the GS430...You should be able to get a good deal if that is important to you...
Old 07-27-03, 07:39 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

You made a smart choice by posting to ask questions before purchasing the car! Because you said you are STARTING a family, I think reliability should be your number ONE concern. And we all know Lexus reliability ratings so, I'll just leave that there. Another important thing for me is customer service, and I will elaborate.

I drive a 96 GS that I purchased CPO 2yrs ago. My tranny quit on me 3 wks ago. Lexus Roadside towed me 203miles, then my CPO covered a brand new tranny (6k). I also drove a 03 ES for the enitre time they had my car.

My uncle has a 02 TT and his tranny quit, they gave him a Corolla. My grandad drives 01 S500, his brakes quit last week, they came and got his car, and didnt even bring him a loaner. Go with the Lex for reliability, as far as other parameters (perf, options, etc) Its up to you
Old 07-27-03, 10:37 AM
Troy
Driver School Candidate

I was curious about the voice activated navigation for hands free use. I really don't want to be in downtown SF visiting and pushing buttons on the nav. I asked about the voice nav on the gs because I was scanning ebay and there's a 03 on there and it says voice nav. When do you think they'll introduce the voice nav to the gs? I really didn't want the LS because I don't want to feel like the Chancellor of Prussia. I still want to have an attractive car while toting around the family and be able to pass on demand.
Old 07-28-03, 09:16 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by btanchors
I didn't look too seriously at Mercedes Benz, BMW, or Audi. All nice automobiles, but they're just too expensive to own, in my opinion, between maintenance and insurance.
FYI - BMW & Audi both have free maintenance and both are cheaper to insure than the GS430 which is the 3rd most expensive car to insure.
Old 07-28-03, 06:22 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

The "free" maintenance is only for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first) and make no mistake, you're paying for it. It's just up front in the price of the car instead of spread out over several years of small maintenance charges.

As for insurance, saying the GS430 is "the third most expensive car to insure" is a pretty strange statement. Do you mean out of all cars, sports sedans, luxury cars, import cars, what? I think you'd have to make a pretty narrow classification to make the safe, low-theft GS the 3rd most expensive to insure in any event.
Old 07-29-03, 05:24 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I find that statement about the GS430 being the third most expensive car to insure a bit hard to believe as well, but at any rate, I will be finding out very shortly -- I just added it to my insurance policy yesterday, and will be getting a revised bill shortly....
Old 07-29-03, 01:24 PM
Troy
Driver School Candidate

Another quick question. How much of a tuner's car is this? What kind of aftermarket is available?
Old 07-29-03, 05:26 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do it!
Old 07-29-03, 07:01 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Third most expensive no matter what. Here you go gentlemen
http://info.insure.com/auto/mostexpensive.html

The locks on the car are a joke, ask the people on this board who have been broken into. The alarm automatically disables if you force the door lock. Nice!

The BMW and Audi have 4 year 50,000 mile free scheduled maintenance. Just got quoted $405 for my wife's 45,000 mile service on her RX300, this just to change the oil, rotate the tires, change the trans fluid and check out a couple of things. Sure the Audi and BMW cost more, but I think it is equal if you compare the maintenance costs over the period - thus the argument of the maintenance and insurance being more doesn't fly.

However, what really scares me btanchors, is that I live on Elm st.!

Doug
Old 07-30-03, 09:20 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

While cars like Porsches, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis are also incredibly expensive to insure, they don't factor into this compilation because they are limited-production cars and therefore don't generate enough claims data to make the list.
Porsche is too limited-production to make the list? And where are cars like the Mustang Cobra--too much power for typically under-experienced drivers, a poor safety record, and one of the most-stolen cars in the country?

Thanks for posting the link so at least we know you're not crazy! But I do have to wonder about the authors of that article...
Old 07-31-03, 05:31 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

iceman
Yea, a friend told me about this list and I thought they were crazy (I made them point out the site as well) - of course it helped explain why my GS 430 insurance premium is almost 20% higher than my 540 was. ouch!
Old 07-31-03, 05:39 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

One way or the other this article sounds funny to me. Insurance on my 00 GS is cheaper then on my 95 SC. So where is the SC on the list?