GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rack and Pinion going bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 03:43 PM
Munar
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Rack and Pinion going bad

Hey guys, quick question. So my rack and pinion is going bad, and the mechanic wants $1,200 for replacement of the rack and the pump. I don't have money for the repairs as of now so I decided to do it myself. In the meantime, I need transportation, so would it be okay to pull the power steering fuse and drive it normally? Not too sure about the entire steering mechanisms and don't want to damage the car more. Thanks guys!
Old 11-17-18, 05:14 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

A lot of times the rack assembly is replaced to shotgun several problems. Was it recommended due to leaks? Loose inner tie rods and or bushings? Noise? How about the pump? Did you go in because of a power steering issue or was this just brought to your attention on a routine maintenance stop? If the pump isn't making noise and the seepage out the front seal is minor, it isn't a huge priority. If your p/s fluid is leaking out profusely from it or the rack than yes, replace. But if the rack isn't leaking and there is a loose inner tie rod or two, you may be able to just get away with some tie rods. If all the issues I mentioned are happening, then you will definitely need it replaced. It will need an alignment asap after install.
Old 11-18-18, 12:05 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Munar
Hey guys, quick question. So my rack and pinion is going bad, and the mechanic wants $1,200 for replacement of the rack and the pump. I don't have money for the repairs as of now so I decided to do it myself. In the meantime, I need transportation, so would it be okay to pull the power steering fuse and drive it normally? Not too sure about the entire steering mechanisms and don't want to damage the car more. Thanks guys!
First, how did the so called mechanic make this determination?
What symptoms are you experiencing?
Old 11-20-18, 03:36 AM
Munar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
A lot of times the rack assembly is replaced to shotgun several problems. Was it recommended due to leaks? Loose inner tie rods and or bushings? Noise? How about the pump? Did you go in because of a power steering issue or was this just brought to your attention on a routine maintenance stop? If the pump isn't making noise and the seepage out the front seal is minor, it isn't a huge priority. If your p/s fluid is leaking out profusely from it or the rack than yes, replace. But if the rack isn't leaking and there is a loose inner tie rod or two, you may be able to just get away with some tie rods. If all the issues I mentioned are happening, then you will definitely need it replaced. It will need an alignment asap after install.
Alright. So one day when driving about 30 minutes away from home, I noticed the steering all of a sudden felt super light and easy. Then, when pulling out of a driveway I noticed I lost power steering instantly, and heard the typical power steering whine. I jjumped to the gas station, and bought some ATF to top my reservoir off, and as soon as I started the car, it worked no problem again. About a week later I lost power steering again, but I let the car cool off and it worked again. I decided to take it to my mechanic for him to check it out, and the entire car ride there it worked just fine. The mechanic told me my rack and pinion was binding, and my pump was completely shot. I don't know if I believe the pump claim, because the car still has power steering occasionally... If the pump was shot, wouldn't my power steering never work?? Thanks for the reply btw.
Old 11-20-18, 03:38 AM
Munar
Driver School Candidate

Just replied to another comment on this thread with the symptoms
Old 11-21-18, 10:51 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Munar
Alright. So one day when driving about 30 minutes away from home, I noticed the steering all of a sudden felt super light and easy. Then, when pulling out of a driveway I noticed I lost power steering instantly, and heard the typical power steering whine. I jjumped to the gas station, and bought some ATF to top my reservoir off, and as soon as I started the car, it worked no problem again. About a week later I lost power steering again, but I let the car cool off and it worked again. I decided to take it to my mechanic for him to check it out, and the entire car ride there it worked just fine. The mechanic told me my rack and pinion was binding, and my pump was completely shot. I don't know if I believe the pump claim, because the car still has power steering occasionally... If the pump was shot, wouldn't my power steering never work?? Thanks for the reply btw.
Is there any check engine lights? There are pressure sensors on the Steering rack and the pump that would help diagnose pump issue.
High pitch whine noise from the pump would also be a good indicator of the pump.
The pump is belt driven tho so not sure where there is a fuse to pull.
Is this a 300 or 4xx? The 300 is notorious for the crank pulley to become delaminated and could cause sporadic steering at times when the pulley slips.
Old 11-21-18, 11:07 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've never heard of steering rack binding, I only heard of steering rack leak. If your power steering pump is shot it would make a rattling noise, high pitch whining is when it's about to give out.
Old 11-23-18, 08:08 AM
HLamar
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

M- Is this the rack you purchased/installed back in September from your other thread? Does it leak hyd. fluid from either the rack ends, pump seals or resevoiur? I would inspect the hyd fluid first. Burnt smell dark color bad=overheat. I would check the reservoir filter. It’s built in to your reservoir for obstruction. Hydraulic hoses can and will deteriorate from the inside lining. This clogs the filter screen and cause symptoms as you describe. Most people don’t know what hyd. fluid was used in history of car if bought used. Different mix of hyd. fluids can cause problems. Usually with hose lining first and then problems cascade from there when they start shedding crumbs.