GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is our steering in our car heavy? | Possible issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 11:31 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is our steering in our car heavy? | Possible issue?

My car is a 03 gs sportdesign. the power steering is very heavy to move and whines like crazy, when idling or accelerating at any speed.

i believe i have some sort of issue.

HOWEVER!

How does a perfectly fine working power steering system in a gs feel? Is the steering more on the heavier side? Or light like an Ls430?

I bought my car with this issue and I feel like I don't have any power steering at all, that's how heavy it is.

Old 11-18-18, 12:40 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Steering is generally light on a GS. but there are some steering ECUs that makes it slightly heavier.
This was actually a sought after mod in the past. And IIRC the Sport design ECUs is what they were sourced from. There are threads specific to this.
Heaviness in the steering could be caused by alignment as well. If you haven't done any alignment recently it could be a good thing to have a check to save from abnormal tire wear.
Old 11-18-18, 06:20 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

You mentioned it whines like crazy, Obviously you've checked your p/s fluid level? If its low it will whine and cause hard steering. If you are full and it still whines as bad as you make it sound, your pump is failing and not pushing enough fluid to give good p/s assist. I'd replace if you aren't low on fluid or anything simple. If you are low, find the leak and fix the issue, fill up and give it a try.
Old 11-18-18, 09:06 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
Steering is generally light on a GS. but there are some steering ECUs that makes it slightly heavier.
This was actually a sought after mod in the past. And IIRC the Sport design ECUs is what they were sourced from. There are threads specific to this.
Heaviness in the steering could be caused by alignment as well. If you haven't done any alignment recently it could be a good thing to have a check to save from abnormal tire wear.
I have already done an alignment and the issue is still there. I didn’t know that. I’m a fan of light steering if anything.

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
You mentioned it whines like crazy, Obviously you've checked your p/s fluid level? If its low it will whine and cause hard steering. If you are full and it still whines as bad as you make it sound, your pump is failing and not pushing enough fluid to give good p/s assist. I'd replace if you aren't low on fluid or anything simple. If you are low, find the leak and fix the issue, fill up and give it a try.
I have changed out the fluid almost 8 months ago and the problem is still there. I forgot what fluid it was but I know it wasn’t OEM Toyota. I think we’re supposed to use ATF fluid or something like that? The problem has to be the pump is failing like you said. Another thing is that even when you are making a Sharp turn or backing up, slowly, it legit feels like there is NO PS and I have to strong arm it like hell lol
Old 11-18-18, 10:04 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Yep that's a bad pump. No assist and noise, pretty cut and dry. When you replace it, make sure the serpentine belt tensioner is good and has plenty of resistance. I think you'd know the difference between belt slipping noise and p/s whine. But just another basic thing to check is that the belt isn't slipping due to a bad tensioner. This would also stop the pump from being able to assist in steering.
Old 11-18-18, 10:38 AM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

My steering is not that bad. Light but still a good solid feel for the road. Not like BMW's I have driven which feel heavy.

First I would check and clean the metal strainer inside the reservoir to make sure there is no debris preventing flow to the pump. If you do change the power steering pump I recommend you add a small inline filter to help extend the life of the powersteering pump (I do this to all my cars).
Old 11-18-18, 11:47 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

if you’re coming from a lincoln towncar then yes the steering will be heavy
Old 11-18-18, 04:56 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Yep that's a bad pump. No assist and noise, pretty cut and dry. When you replace it, make sure the serpentine belt tensioner is good and has plenty of resistance. I think you'd know the difference between belt slipping noise and p/s whine. But just another basic thing to check is that the belt isn't slipping due to a bad tensioner. This would also stop the pump from being able to assist in steering.
I'll take a look, thank you. Would you also happen to know what is the proper power steering fluid we put in our cars?

Originally Posted by shwalker07
My steering is not that bad. Light but still a good solid feel for the road. Not like BMW's I have driven which feel heavy.

I understand. I've never driven other GS' so I wouldn't know what it is supposed to feel like but yes, it def feels like a BMW.

First I would check and clean the metal strainer inside the reservoir to make sure there is no debris preventing flow to the pump. If you do change the power steering pump I recommend you add a small inline filter to help extend the life of the powersteering pump (I do this to all my cars).
Originally Posted by lextout
if you’re coming from a lincoln towncar then yes the steering will be heavy
Of course.
Old 11-18-18, 08:45 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 773 Likes on 675 Posts

Look at his thread. When I sold my old GS400 to my co worker. He then kept it for awhile, and also then sold it. The new purchaser called back a few days later and complained about the steering too stiff.

I did the mod, and I felt it was fine fore me. I'm not saying it's your issue, but something to look into.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...djustment.html
Old 11-20-18, 01:40 PM
shaheedGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the same issue minus the whining noise you mentioned , i have a 02 gs300 sportdesign and the steering is a bit heavy
Old 11-21-18, 05:45 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by shaheedGS
i have the same issue minus the whining noise you mentioned , i have a 02 gs300 sportdesign and the steering is a bit heavy
The sport design has a different steering ECU than the stock GS300 and GS4XX that makes the steering feel heavier than a normal GS. If you don't like it you can swap it out in about 5-10 minutes by undoing one bolt and connector under the dash. The sport design (and L-Tuned) steering ECUs are worth extra because they provide a sportier steering feel. Make sure you keep track of which is which because all the part numbers are the same and they look the same if you swap
Old 11-22-18, 09:17 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
The sport design has a different steering ECU than the stock GS300 and GS4XX that makes the steering feel heavier than a normal GS. If you don't like it you can swap it out in about 5-10 minutes by undoing one bolt and connector under the dash. The sport design (and L-Tuned) steering ECUs are worth extra because they provide a sportier steering feel. Make sure you keep track of which is which because all the part numbers are the same and they look the same if you swap
Before I do this mod, I'm going to get the entire thing looked it and fixed. If the steering is still super heavy, I'll do the swap.

Could you show me which bolt/connector it is?