GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS for RX8

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-03, 11:06 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS for RX8

What u guys think?
Old 07-28-03, 11:17 AM
LeXGs43Rx3
Driver

Totally different cars. RX8 is pure sports, no luxury, GS is sports, luxury, can seat 5, and can PIMP like crazy. There is something about the GS which just attracts girls like crazy, even compared to other Lexus models. I'd without a doubt keep the GS, but hey its up to you. Maybe if you want a little change, go for a G35 coupe, its nice looking, more lux than th rx8, and sporty.
Old 07-28-03, 11:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

they are totally different cars... if you are looking for sportiness, performance, yes rx8. but it won't have half as luxurious as the gs
Old 07-28-03, 11:34 AM
dbox
Driver

the mighty GS RULES!

don't go from lexus to mazda
Old 07-28-03, 11:40 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by LeXGs43Rx3
There is something about the GS which just attracts girls like crazy, even compared to other Lexus models. .
ohhhh yeah, tell me about it!
Old 07-28-03, 11:53 AM
98NavGS400
Driver School Candidate

I think the biggest adjustment you’ll have to make, other than the physical dimension difference between the cars, is the differences in power delivery. The GS has good range throughout the power band, while the RX8 is going to be all higher RPM pull. I just sold a 2002 Honda S2000, and I would consider it to be to be very similar cars in power delivery. Both have a 9000 rpm, and while I can’t speak expertly on an RX8 as I have never driven one, the S2000 was very tame until it hit 6,500 rpm and from there on was pretty fast.

If this is going to be your daily driver, I would make sure that the size difference isn’t going to be a problem, and then look at your driving style. You will really have to row the gears to keep the RX8 in its power band for spirited driving (part of the fun). Also, it was always funny that I could drive the GS400 around and not have any interest from passing motorist, but in the S2000 everyone seems interested and every punk driving anything from a Hyundai to a Honda will want to race you. The Mazda will be even worse since it’s a brand new body style. That is one part of ownership that I didn't appreciate, while it may seem fun at first--street racing is for moron, and the novelty of being harrassed at every light get pretty old very quickly.
Old 07-28-03, 12:27 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Comparing an apple to an orange.............of course, some prefer apples and some oranges and there are attractions to both (which is what makes things difficult for those of us who can't afford BOTH an apple and an orange).

98NavGS400 articulates my thinking quite well, so I won't repeat it. Just comes down to what you really want in your daily driver.
Old 07-28-03, 12:31 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll keep my GS4. Lexus quality, reliability and 300 HP V8
Old 07-29-03, 07:37 AM
LexFather

Well, the Mazda inside is very high quality, awesome for a 22-30k car. It kills the competition there and a lot of higher priced cars. My sis has a 95 loaded 929 and with 150k it is still going (though it is not a rotary), no problems. The RX-8 also weighs less than 3000lbs so the car will drive hella different.

It is a sports car with space for 2 people in the back. I could not believe I could fit in it (I am 6"5) but it's still no sedan. It is cramped and the truck is very small.

I could see someone contemplating this car, I think it is awesome. Mazda service though, is horrible in our experience.
Old 07-29-03, 07:44 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

I have had a great experience with my GS and love it too death. But of late, i think it is time for a change and I feel like I wanna go back to a sports coupe and seriously debating between the Daytona Blue 350z, RX8 and possibly, possibly a used M3. I am 24, single, and won't have kids anytime soon and feel that it might be the right time as well. I know its comparing apples too oranges, but am looking too possibly dwngrde but I consider myself an enthusiast of those classes of cars. I have been almost 100% about the Z but off late have become obsessed with the RX8. It just pulls me in with its unique design and technotronic interior. BUt just looking for some opinions from you guys since I really respect many of your opinions since Ive been on this forum for a while.
Old 07-29-03, 08:10 AM
LeXGs43Rx3
Driver

e46 m3 is a hella of car, and pimp too, the previous generation are okay, nothing faster than the gs from what i remember.
Old 07-29-03, 08:50 AM
LexFather

dgtbullet, I am 25 and single and sometimes, I get the urge for a 2 door car. It's some sort of sick early life crisis.

I think the 350Z is cool but I can't understand why such a small car without AWD can weigh so much. Also, the interior leaves me very, very cold. IMO, it would make a great 2nd car.

The M3 is outta my range and I don't have enough extra $$$ to fix anything for a used one. If I were to get an M, it would be a used E39 M5.

The RX-8, the interior, IMO is simply awesome. It shames all others in the 20-30k range (I am a stickler for interiors). With the 2-tone seats, it looks and feels amazing. Plus the extra space in the back. Then it weighs so little. I like how it looks as well, to hell with retro, it looks progressive. Like the GS. Mazdaspeeed parts are coming (as NISMO for Nissan).

Motor Trend picked it over the G35c and Mustang Cobra in a comparison, that is heavy competition.
Old 07-29-03, 09:01 AM
dgtbullet
Pole Position

Yeah, the rx8 has some beutiful curves. Still havent seen in person and am dreading the day since I know I will crap in my pants. Seems lile one of those cars. Sure, it might not be the fastest cars, but is very exotic and nice.
Old 07-29-03, 09:54 AM
98NavGS400
Driver School Candidate

At your age, I can see why you might want to switch it up a little. If you're looking for a sports car you should do it, when you get older you'll likely be stuck in a big sedan anyways.

In my opinion:
e46 M3: Awesome, but by far the most money of any of the cars your talking about (new or used)

RX8: Cool looking design, should be a fun car with a lot of bang for the buck. I have seen a picture of one with a tastefull body kit and some aftermarket rims--It looked incredible. A concern I would have (again this comes from my experience with the S2000) is how many recalls you will have with a completely new car design and engine that, coupled with the lack of Tech. experience with these cars, will create some headaches. Also be prepared to be treated poorly by the service department, that you are not at a Lexus dealership will become very apparent quickly.

350Z: The body lines of that car look like a frog taking a crap. They are puting such a huge number of those into the US market they are going to be very common place and loose any of the uniqueness that they have right now.

G35 Coupe: I think its better looking than the 350Z, very similar performance, more unique.

In the end, only you can decide what you like the most. Given your circumstances I would be drawn to the G35Coupe, and RX8 if the M3 is out of your range. PS There is a slightly redesigned S2000 slated for 2004 with a slightly larger engine (2.2l vs 2.0l, but same peak horsepower), and redesigned front and rear fascias--if you have any interest in a convertible.
Old 07-29-03, 12:47 PM
limoZeen
Driver School Candidate

you will actually get sick of the e46 M3 quite quickly

Quick Reply: GS for RX8