GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs430 V.s. M45

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-03, 01:10 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested to find out if M45 has as extensive aftermarket as the 2nd gen GS, particularly when it comes to suspension mods. One of the posts said that the car was planted, compared to the GS. I've read differently in a C & D review. If I were to get this car, I would want to be sure I can throw coil-overs, stiffer sway bars, stbs, braces, etc.

Does anybody know?
Old 07-30-03, 02:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by gewe21
doug_999,

It's sad to say this, but with the window down, both my '02 LS43 and my bro's '02 GS3 also rattle when you close the door....
typical Japanese car ?
Well my BMW never did it

(just kidding guys)

This rattle was one of those 1970's door rattles -so maybe it was an early production model. I dunno.

BTW, I'm actually in Madison right now!
Old 07-30-03, 02:25 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
I would pick M45 over GS430.....especially with almost $10000 price difference
Depends on how much they are discounting the M45 these days. I hear that a loaded GS430 goes for about $48K these days. Most of the M45s I looked at were really close to $50K vs. the GS430 54K sticker.

BTW, Infiniti made a VERY cool video of a street race vs. some 60/70s muscle cars - have to give their marketing people some credit.
Old 07-30-03, 02:39 PM
lawman
Driver

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
I would be interested to find out if M45 has as extensive aftermarket as the 2nd gen GS, particularly when it comes to suspension mods. One of the posts said that the car was planted, compared to the GS. I've read differently in a C & D review. If I were to get this car, I would want to be sure I can throw coil-overs, stiffer sway bars, stbs, braces, etc.

Does anybody know?

I have a comparison of the suspension of a stock M45 to that of a stock 93 SC300 5-speed. The SC300 was waaaaaay too floaty for me and after driving around in the M45 I had to upgrade my SC, which I did. The stock M45 handles very well for stock. The steering is tighter then my sc (better road feel esp at higher speeds IMHO) and the feel on the road is firm, yet not too bouncy. Driving the Infinit G35 coupe was waaaay too bouncy for me - the M45 stock suspension was very good - you should test drive to see. I have not driven a GS430/400/300 so I can't compare with that but I can say that I think the stock M45 suspension is better then tokico/eibach's on an SC400 for comparison. Sway and float is not reall there on the M45.

Hey Manny the M45 my pops has, has that side view mirror that automatically shifts down on reverse (to see the parking lines, ground, curb better) - only sucky thing is that you have to choose which side mirror (right or left) - both won't auto go down as in the Range rover - both shift down when you put it in reverse.

Here in Hawaii the price was waaay lower then $50 gee so I am pretty sure they will not be more then Hawaii prices where you guys are.

I drove the M45 again this morning... yes, that seat shifts back, and steering wheel shifts up thing is good and fast, wish my SC had this. Seats, leather is very, very nice... and the car absolutly hauls ****. Again I can't compare to the SC430/400/300 sorry... But is is a great deal for the price.

jmht...
Old 07-30-03, 03:37 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SCWells72 - I agree that the Lincoln LS is a decent car but I'm still very leary about buying an "American" car because every American car I've driven has been just a big pile of junk. And I'm talking about recent cars that are in the $40K+ range....they just don't build them well.

1SICKLEX - I can see your point about it being a gap filler but the bottom line is that it's a lot of car for the money, gap filler or not....however, I do think that the I35 is the gap filler. Infiniti is going to do some interesting things with the M and Q really soon....

Doug_999 - Could be because it's a frameless door...dunno, I'll have to check if my GS430 and SC rattle with the window down...

Vlad - The M45 does have aftermarket...you just have to look to Japan. There are coilovers and I'm pretty sure that Nismo makes some bracing for it. You will NOT need a STB though...the M45 comes stock with a "proper" STB...one that connects the shock tower with the firewall...better than the shock tower to shock tower types like we have.

As for price difference and value...the M45 can be had for $7500 BELOW MSRP nearly anywhere. So now we're talking $41K for a FULLY LOADED...so compared to a $48K GS430 (at discount), you're saving $7K...that's enough for wheels and suspension.

Lawman - Where is the switch for that auto-reverse down? I actually don't mind the "switchable" feature because I would only need the passenger side to go down....I can't ever recall a situation where I would need both to go down...the auto seat/steering wheel feature is kinda nice but it's a little noiser than on my GS430 (or SC400 for that matter)

Overall, I think for $41K with Nav, it's quite a deal. From what I've heard, they're going to redesign the M45 next year so I'm hoping more M45 will sell (due to the low price) which means I'll be able to pick up a nice used one for DIRT CHEAP in a year or two...
Old 07-30-03, 05:36 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
SCWells, IMO, the Lincoln LS de-throned the Caddy STS as the premier American sedan. I saw 48k loaded at the dealer though.
Yeah, the MSRP is $48K loaded, but between incentives and the fact that the car hasn't sold very well, you can get a fully-loaded LS V8 for just under $41K. Just go to carsdirect.com and load one out. You'll see what I mean.

Here's what I get putting everything on:

Target Price: $40,923
MSRP Price: $48,240

That's pretty remarkable for what all you get in that car!

Last edited by SCWells72; 07-30-03 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-30-03, 11:43 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The M45 has many cool features and is a great bargain compared to the GS430. BUT it is one UGLY car. The interior is ok, but the exterior styling is horrible. Any car can look decent with wheels, bodykit, and a drop, but even with all that the M45 would never compare to a hooked up GS. I personally would not trade my GS300 for it.

Another thing is that Infiniti is still not on the same level with MB, BMW, and Lexus in terms of overall luxury and prestige. Its nice to see Infiniti improve and have new exciting models, a few years ago nobody even talked about infiniti and now the brand has generated lots of interest. I would definitely consider the next gen M45(as long as they improve the styling like the G35c) and it would be interesting to see how it compares with the new GS.
Old 07-31-03, 05:11 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RNMGS3 - I agree that Infiniti doesn't have the Luxury and Prestige that Lexus and Mercedes has but then again, look at what you get for the money. It's where Lexus used to be. Bang for the buck. Remember when Mercedes owners used to make fun on Lexus and now, a lot of them own one!

Infiniti just has TERRIBLE MARKETING. The "decision makers" in that department need to be hung. They should hire Rolex's marketing team to market their stuff...people will be buying M45's for $70K for no reason.

Honestly though, if I had $41K and I wanted to buy a nice car, I would buy a M45 over the GS300. It's only a a few hundred dollars more and you get a V8 that makes some real power (a 100HP more to be exact), you get climate control seats, better leather, WAY better handling, better wheels, adaptive cruise control, tire pressure monitor, voice recognition, better seats (more supportive) etc., etc... similar dimensions and all the dealership benefits as Lexus....the only downfalls (IMO) is the Bose sound system (way inferior to the Mark Levinson but as good as the standard Lexus Premium system), the center console (not as nice as the GS's), and the Nav/Climate Control system in the GS is better IMO (but like I said before, I might be biased because I've been using it for three years)....

How many of you guys that don't like the M45's looks have see it in person? I had a few buddies that HATED it when they saw the initial pictures (where it look like a 4x4) and now that they've seen it in real life, they actually like it....

Another Bonus? You won't see many other fixed up M45's...I see fixed up (well, most are more *****ed up then fixed up) GS all day long...probably run into at least three per day....

SCwells - I think I'm going to go by the Lincoln dealership just to check out what they're up to with the LS....
Old 07-31-03, 01:59 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Manaray,

Thanks for the useful info. I think I'll go and test-drive one to get a better perspective on the car.
I agree with you that this is a good deal if you are looking for a less-expensive luxury / sport sedan.

If they can be had for ~41K new, then they're going to be at least 20% less than that in a year or two. Sounds good to me...

The thing that I am thinking about is how much the "hooking up" will cost for M45? My GS is stock cosmetically, except for wheels and 1'' lowering. M45 would need more work than that (probably, custom bumpers, skirts, valances, grille, etc.) to look, shall we say... better. I have seen it in person and I don't think that it is ugly, but I would not say I like it, either. However, if it kicks ***, I don't really care that much.
Old 07-31-03, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Maybe we did not drive the same car cause when I drove the Q45 and M45, they both drove worse than a stock GS to me. It seems they added 18" wheels and it really put a hurting on the suspension. Whereas Lexus and BMW etc has a good time matching sport and luxury, I felt the car was tippy toeing with those wheels. I heard every crease and felt every bump in the road. Like the FX45 with the 20s. It looks good but it kills the ride.

The inside, I dunno, having the controls on top does not seem luxury like to me, maybe cause it is different. It seemed like a game console. Materials are high quality in both cars.

Both are swift though, and to the average person, I doubt they can tell the cars are a lil slower than the competition.

I am basing my thoughts not only by my findings, but the 4 other guys that came with me that day (we checked out hella cars).

Infiniti left no impression on us except the G35 coupe. "Nice" does not cut it at this price range.

The 1st generation GS 300 was "nice" and we saw how it sold and the respect it garnished.
Old 07-31-03, 03:52 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

1SICKLEX - I have to agree on the M45. Did you drive it at night? I got very used to the bimmer red illumination and am open to things in this area, not an overly big fan of the lexus illumination, liked my Supra dash more. But that orange they use on the M45 is neither luxurious nor expensive looking to me. I think they chose an awful color that does nothing and screams "cheap" to me. Didn't find the performance particularly noteworthy. Better used purchase than new from what I see. Let someone else take the depreciation in the shorts.
Old 07-31-03, 04:17 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish someone would do a blue lighted dash.

As for the LS coming up in this topic, as the debate came about in another thread, I could not bring myself to spend 41k on the LS. Friends and Family at Ford give me enough info to say hell no.

On top of it, growing up in Detroit my whole family owned nothing big 3 junk, the dealer where they use to buy their used cars is still there, ever buy a used Lincoln? What a piece!

Another good example, they are famous for losing half their value in 24 month.

One example.

2001 Lincoln LS

V8 ENGINE, SPORT PACKAGE, MOONROOF, 6 DISC CD, HEATED SEATS, SPOTLESS!!

Price: $20900

Color: Silver

Miles: 24969

I remember the terrible resale value well because when I was growing up, I wanted a Mark VII and VIII, they where easy to attain after 24 months.

Last edited by jpa2400; 07-31-03 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 04:35 PM
LexFather

Yeah, the MSRP is $48K loaded, but between incentives and the fact that the car hasn't sold very well, you can get a fully-loaded LS V8 for just under $41K. Just go to carsdirect.com and load one out. You'll see what I mean.
Wow, that is great! I really like that car, I would take it over the M45. It really handles great and feels solid.
1SICKLEX - I have to agree on the M45. Did you drive it at night? I got very used to the bimmer red illumination and am open to things in this area, not an overly big fan of the lexus illumination, liked my Supra dash more. But that orange they use on the M45 is neither luxurious nor expensive looking to me. I think they chose an awful color that does nothing and screams "cheap" to me. Didn't find the performance particularly noteworthy. Better used purchase than new from what I see. Let someone else take the depreciation in the shorts.
I dunno, maybe it's just me but I can't figure out how obviously silly it is to make such a VITAL part of a car so cheap and uninteresting. This is THE MAIN PART you look at besides the window. And sports sedans/cars with 4 spoke steering wheels kill me.

The I35 copied the electolumincent lights from Lexus, but that is fine, they look great. I really like the inside of the I-35, better than the M45.

I agree, in 2-3 years, these Q45s, M45s, G35s are gonna be STEALS for 20k. Absolute steals.

Mayne it's just me (again) but I see all these car makers PUSHING and MARKETING, H.P. 0-60 etc and the sum of the parts leaves me cold.

If I want a fast car FIRST, I'll buy a supercharged Cobra for 38k. In a SEDAN, that is not my priority. Speed is an added bonus.

Hell, it's the reason why E320s, 530s and GS 300s sell in droves. High quality sedans with prestige.

jpa2400, I agree. And the first thing u see is people slapping 20" spinners on em, lmao. It is a GREAT TIME to be an automobile buyer. 10 years ago, there were HARDLY ANY good used luxury cars.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-31-03 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 05:30 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

If an M45 can be gotten with a $7500 discount like Manaray says, and that means roughly 41K now, maybe, maybe a 2 year old one would get 20K but I will guess that puppy is going to fall steep and a three year old one isn't going to come close to 20K. If it is your cup of tea, let the haggling begin.
Old 07-31-03, 06:00 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I keep seeing ads in the Cleveland paper for the M45 for around $39K or $499/mo. lease. I'm guessing that's the base model and not the loaded model with air conditioned seats, etc.