GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why would you buy a GS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 10:18 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me it's quite simple. I own both the Aristo and also the venerable 5 series that's always been compared to the Aristo. While the Bimmer may have a better stock suspension, but I find that the Aristo is easier to drive in Jakarta's super-heavy traffic. The Aristo feels lighter, more elegant and spacious, and generally "less intrusive" to the driver. It just lets me drive. Period. I can't say the same with the more sluggish Bimmer.

Then again, my Bimmer doesn't have the twin-turbo 280hp engine either....
Old 07-30-03, 07:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

2nd Gen.

Pros:
1. With the mods I have done (suspension and some cosmetic work) - it handles like a dream and snaps necks everywhere I go = Priceless
2. Reliability
3. Power
4. Exclusivity - at least in Ontario, Canada - I very rarely see 2 or 3 per week!

Cons:
1. Very heavy (almost 3800 lbs)- I wish it were lighter - it would handle even better
2. No GPS
3. The Apline silver paint on mine does not seem to have the deep lustrous look on Black GS's . No idea why. That's just me nitpicking.
4. Too many mods available for the car = spending does not stop. This could be a pro as well, as you can continue to mod the car as much as your pocket book allows.
Old 08-04-03, 05:09 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Doug_99 is correct, stock GS430 is a bit slower off line compared to 540i Sport package 6 speed, but that is easily fixed by the torque converter, which is probably the most obvious performance gain for the bang of buck.

pro:
Fastest sedan in v8 NA price range competition with right upgrade(M5 excluded)
Agressive Styling
DVD Navigation
Mark Levingson Stereo
Leuxs QA

con:
Like what Manaray has said.
NO Camber adjustment at all, so if you upgrade on low profile wide tires, the inside wears out fast T_T
Handling needs improving.
Old 08-06-03, 08:16 AM
kvoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pros:
Love the distinctive look
Comfort and luxury in same package
Reliability
Our Blue Onyx color
Dash light at night

Cons:
I don't get to drive it. It's the Mrs. car.
A little soft in the corners
Seeing more and more GS on the road
Old 08-06-03, 09:27 AM
apatel
Pole Position

Pros
Great looks
Great Stereo - Nak/ML
Reliability
Power
Cheaper to mod than Benz/BMW

Cons
No camber adjustment
Paint chips easily on 98s
steering not very responsive even with mods
Minor rattles
Old 08-06-03, 03:22 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

As someone who is parting with his 2001 GS430 shortly (trading it in for a different Lexus), I can tell you the reasons why I felt I could part with it (although the decision wasn't as tough as I thought):

CONS
1. For a $50,000+ car (Sports Sedan), the handling and steering response is shockingly weak (or more so just ordinary). Look at the factory gap in the wheel well! Even with my L-Tuned Upgrades, things were improved (and looked better lowered), but not a huge improvement. I guess you even have to upgrade a $50K+ car. Of course there is still no sports package that Lexus offers yet to fix this issue. What really bothered me was the loose steering, which I could only resolve by buying a BMW.

2. Flat bucket seats with no side bolster support. This further enhances the mediocore handling, when you slide back and forth on turns. Nothing on the sides holding you in.

3. Factory / OEM Summer 17" Tires were OK in the beginning, but got so loud right before the halfway point, that even the quiet cabin of the GS could not block out the humming noise of the tires. Again, for the amount you pay for this car, it should be outfitted with the best tires possible.

4. The Styling - Of course I liked it, that is why I bought the car. However after a while, I noticed small things here and there that were not attractive. Maybe someone has experienced the same as follows:
- Check out the photos you take of your GS - you will realize that at most angles, it looks strange, sort of like a large boat. You can't seem to get a good sporty looking photo, unless you have 18 or 19" rims. There are great photos of GS's out there, but in general this is not a photogenic car. I can't explain this phenomenon.
- However see the car in motion and it looks great for some reason on 17" wheels and larger.

5. Engine Sounds - This Lexus V8 is such a refined engine that it's very quiet. This is a good and bad thing depending on people's opinions. Sometimes with this much power (300HP), you want to hear the growl of the engine when you start it up and accelerate. This enginer is so smooth, that it's amazing, yet for a sports sedan you want to hear it generating that power. Again just a matter of opinion.

PROS:
1. Great V8 Power - Refined / Smooth V8
2. Mark Levinson Audio - Best out there
3. Touch Screen DVD Navigation - Love it!
4. HIDS
5. Reliability & Lexus Customer Service
6. Luxury - No one does it better than Lexus.

Overall still a great car, but lots to be desired for the money you pay for it.

Last edited by lexguynj; 08-06-03 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 05:46 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

so you parting with your 430 for a 330? a bit down size don't you think ?

if anything, why not 545i or E500

Last edited by gsintensive; 08-06-03 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 05:52 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by gsintensive
so you parting with your 430 for a 330? a bit down size don't you think ?

if anything, why not 545i or E500
Hey GSintensive,

I know it's a weird trade-off (step down I agree), but I think I'm just getting old and with a kid on the way, the RX330 looks like a great family vehicle without settling yet for the Minivan. And the RX330 will be my wife's primary vehicle as well.

I've always loved the BMW 540s, however I also love my 330i too much right now, so give me about 2 years and I will think about the 545 once again (maybe even the next gen GS - can't wait to see what Lexus offers).

By the way, your GS is one of those GSs that I mentioned above that always look great (20's and all!)

Last edited by lexguynj; 08-06-03 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-11-03, 08:15 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

I love the whole car, wish it was faster off take off instead of that sluggish feeling, but one thing that really does bother me about the car is the complaints I get about the backseats, Even my cousins Mazda Millenia has better backseats then the GS. The GS's backseats prop u up so high instead of making u feel like ur layed back and lounging I could never go long distance in those seats just too uncomfortable

ShOwGS
Old 08-12-03, 03:17 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Let's see, you have done a quarter mile in 8.25 seconds AND THE CAR FEELS SLUGGISH OFF THE LINE?

hint, smaller turbo next time
Old 08-13-03, 05:05 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought it because the GS4 was the only car out there that had 3 important things to me.

POOWWEERR, LUXURY, & RELIABILITY

Also, important to me that it had to be a 4-door sedan not a coupe or a sport compact.

The only other car I would consider would be a M5, or 540 both look a bit dated now and the reliablility has to be questionable on these cars. Another con against BMW is insurance cost.

If you think about it, the GS400/430 is still the only car out there today that still meets this criteria for me. The only other thing I wish I had was NAVIGATION and 4 -wheel drive option. Oh, well maybe in the next generation GS
Old 08-13-03, 06:28 AM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DrewGS4
I bought it because the GS4 was the only car out there that had 3 important things to me.

POOWWEERR, LUXURY, & RELIABILITY

Also, important to me that it had to be a 4-door sedan not a coupe or a sport compact.

The only other car I would consider would be a M5, or 540 both look a bit dated now and the reliablility has to be questionable on these cars. Another con against BMW is insurance cost.

If you think about it, the GS400/430 is still the only car out there today that still meets this criteria for me. The only other thing I wish I had was NAVIGATION and 4 -wheel drive option. Oh, well maybe in the next generation GS
Hey Drew GS4,

I've had the itch for a long time now for the 2003 540i with the new Sports Package (making it basically look like an M5). However I realize now as good as the 540i looks, it will just look outdated next to the new 545i. A lot of people will say the new 5 series doesn't look good. The new look is growing on me and remember, rims always makes the car. I am now itching for a 545i when my lease on my 330i is up in 2 years.

BMW's reliability is not as good as Lexus, but it's still above average. However the fun factor of driving a BMW, just makes everything worth it. It's a weird way to substantiate it, but it's so true.

Also remember to - ALWAYS get the NAVIGATION OPTION! ALL WHEEL DRIVE would be great too, especially for these NJ winters.
Old 08-13-03, 09:51 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DrewGS4
I Another con against BMW is insurance cost.
?
The GS430 costs more to insure than the 540. In fact it is the 3rd most expensive car to insure.

Doug
Old 08-13-03, 09:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,423 Posts

Originally posted by doug_999
In fact it is the 3rd most expensive car to insure.
Just behind the McLaren F1 and the Ferrari Enzo? Pretty sweeping statement there, Doug.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-13-03 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-13-03, 10:41 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Hey, I don't make the list, I just report on it!

here you go...

http://info.insure.com/auto/mostexpensive.html

Quick Reply: Why would you buy a GS?