GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Aristo Swappers - Share your engine tuning solutions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 03:45 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Aristo Swappers - Share your engine tuning solutions

Fellow Aristo-swapped members -

I'm not well versed in the space of engine control management for these cars. I'm on the factory ECU at the moment, running stock boost. But I'd like to get a longer-term solution in place. I realize there are a few options that allow me to raise boost and get rid of boost cut / speed limiter, but I'm trying to consider options that are more holistic in terms of a solve and get me set up long-term. I'm hoping to get some direction and knowledge from those here who have already spent time in this space.

I'm looking for options - as many as I can get - for engine management solutions for running the Aristo Engine/Transmission in the GS300. I'd like to hear from those that have done, are planning to do it, and/or those who have some first-hand experience. Would like you to share why you went with your setup. What you like about it. Features you have seen that you like in your or other solutions. I'm not looking for the most expensive solve here. If you're on the stock ECU pushing 600hp, tell me about it... how did you do it?

I'm looking at options that would suit me both now with the twins, as well as when I upgrade to a single turbo. I'd prefer something that works with the stock 4-speed Aristo transmission - even piggy-backing the stock ECU to run the transmission seems somewhat common and I'm fine with that. I'd also, if possible like to implement a solution that is flex-fuel friendly so I can utilize E-85 for higher boost applications.

From my research, the only plug-and-play option I have seen is from the Suprastore - AEM Infinity 6 with a custom harness for the Aristo ECU. Are there other options out there that are as easy and or better / cheaper?

Also, how did you sort through a few common challenges differences it seems we have compared to our USDM counterparts:

- Harness for Aristo ECU - seems we need to keep the ECU for body-related functions as well as transmission in most cases
- Speed limiter
- Boost Cut
- Drive-By-Wire throttle

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinions.
Old 12-19-18, 06:36 PM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m using a haltech elite 750 piggy backed off the stock ecu’s... I’ve found with the half mechincal and fly by wire throttle system your best to leave the stock computers in and patch the haltech into it all... stock ecu’s running the gearbox and everything in the side the car and the elite for the engine.
Old 12-20-18, 07:32 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussiegs3
I’m using a haltech elite 750 piggy backed off the stock ecu’s... I’ve found with the half mechincal and fly by wire throttle system your best to leave the stock computers in and patch the haltech into it all... stock ecu’s running the gearbox and everything in the side the car and the elite for the engine.
So the Haltech isn't controlling the engine? Its controlling the inputs that the stock ECU sees and the stock ECU is controlling the engine. Are you throwing any codes?
Old 12-28-18, 01:30 PM
KyleH
Advanced

@Aussiegs3 Would like to hear more about your setup if you would indulge us. What are the critical sensors that you're letting the ECU monitor vs control? I'm assuming you're having the Haltech monitor and control a number of items formerly handled by the stock ECU - timing, injectors, vvti, etc., and not letting the stock ECU interfere, right?
Old 12-28-18, 02:05 PM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
So the Haltech isn't controlling the engine? Its controlling the inputs that the stock ECU sees and the stock ECU is controlling the engine. Are you throwing any codes?
to be honest I don’t know if the halteck changing what the stock ecu see. All I was told is the stock ecu is controlling the throttle body and 4 speed gearbox and gauge cluster. Its not throwing any codes. I’ve got the standard aristo swap VSC light of the dash and that’s it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aussiegs3:
4rcedfed (03-05-19), captainva (01-21-19)
Old 12-28-18, 02:12 PM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

Originally Posted by KyleH
@Aussiegs3 Would like to hear more about your setup if you would indulge us. What are the critical sensors that you're letting the ECU monitor vs control? I'm assuming you're having the Haltech monitor and control a number of items formerly handled by the stock ECU - timing, injectors, vvti, etc., and not letting the stock ECU interfere, right?
I’m not fully aware of what the haltech is controlling but you are right about the timing, injectors, vvti, only other sensor I’ve added to the car is haltech oil pressure, a flex fuel and fuel pressure
The following users liked this post:
4rcedfed (03-05-19)
Old 12-30-18, 12:18 AM
slammry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here to re-activate my account. good read tho.
Old 01-21-19, 09:00 AM
KyleH
Advanced

@Aussiegs3 A shop I'm talking to for tuning is recommending a Haltech solution. Glad to hear it's something you've been pleased with. I'll keep you posted - just curious - are you tuned for unleaded or E-85 or both? Not sure what your fuel options are down there and I've heard of difficulty scaling some aftermarket ECU's to handle injectors more than 2x factory size, which would be likely to push 600hp with E-85. I do understand with e85 this size injector doesn't cause too much trouble, but when not on e85, I suspect it could.
Old 01-21-19, 09:11 AM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

It’s tuned for both unleaded and E85 but with the heltech elite and the heltech flex fuel sensor I can almost run any type of fuel mixture. I’m not to sure in the injector sizing issue tho.
@Aussiegs3 A shop I'm talking to for tuning is recommending a Haltech solution. Glad to hear it's something you've been pleased with. I'll keep you posted - just curious - are you tuned for unleaded or E-85 or both? Not sure what your fuel options are down there and I've heard of difficulty scaling some aftermarket ECU's to handle injectors more than 2x factory size, which would be likely to push 600hp with E-85. I do understand with e85 this size injector doesn't cause too much trouble, but when not on e85, I suspect it could.
4rcedfed (03-05-19)
Old 01-21-19, 11:19 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Generally when you use stock Auto then the standalone ECU is there to control the Fuel and Ignition Mapping of the Motor. Which means the injector and spark system is intercepted from the stock ECU and the Standalone replaces those functions.

HKS V-Pro works in Parallel with the stock system, during Idle the stock ECU is kept in the loop and while in driving mode the V Pro system takes over. But HKS V-Pro is quite antiquated technology and to control VVTI a sub module has to be added. The new systems aren't that cheap and other standalones can be had with more features.

I now run a AEM Infinity 6 with IAC / Coolant Temp / 5 Bar MAP sensors all from AEM. MAC Boost Controller and Bosch 4.2 LSU wideband sensor is also on board controlled. VVTI solenoid can be wired in for advanced tuning, very great thing to have when you have CAMs or would like more control over the timing of your tune. You can also have CAN based gauges to display all your sensors. AEM and BTI all make these gauges.

Infinity 6 ECU was about $1400 with Tax, flying lead harness was $250, MAP $160, Boost Controller $60, Wideband sensor $65, Coolant sensor $50, AIT $60. Just over 2K for ECU and sensors. You can always choose to use other sensors but you'll need the datasheet to them to calibrate the signal for AEM infinity to read them correctly but using AEM sensors will ensure the readings are accurate.

Also will need to refresh Cam and Crank sensors, all standalone ECU will require signal from these stock sensors to adjust and sync timing properly, however, they get old over time and will produce weaker signals, harder for the standalones to read them.

Another benefit of most newer standalone is the traction control system. Wheel speed sensors are connected to and when speed differences are sensed, the throttle and or timing is limited to prevent slip.

Auxiliary fan temp control can also be utilized for more aggressive cooling

Stock ECU will remain to control Trans, AC and throttle body. If you go manual trans, then you can go full standalone with most systems out there without the stock ecu in the mix.

Last edited by TW99GS300; 01-21-19 at 11:22 PM.
4rcedfed (03-05-19)
Old 01-22-19, 12:52 AM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

@TW99GS300 yep your on the money!!! This is the in-depth stuff Ive been told about but I forget the in-depth facts ... you explained it prefect mate!!!...
Old 01-25-19, 11:03 PM
KyleH
Advanced

Thanks for sharing @TW99GS300

I looked long and hard at the Infinity 6. I ended up going with a Haltech Elite 2000. A lot of my decision had to do with my tuner. I think both options are solid bets for these cars. I am curious what sort of patch harness you found for the Infinity for $250. That's about half the price I found for a plug and play solution for the Aristo ECU.

I'm going to start out tuned with just the stock twins in relatively stock form. I installed my wideband a few days back and found these cars run incredibly rich - at least mine does- on factory tune. So I expect with some tuning some noticeable gains can be had even in stock form.

Based on some conversations I've had with Haltech I am optimistic that a solution that enables some control over the automatic transmission is coming.

Cheers
Old 01-26-19, 12:34 AM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

I’ve seen there new firmware for the elite’s to use cruse control, feature works with the DBW system only tho... not sure about the auto tho
Old 01-26-19, 07:33 AM
KyleH
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aussiegs3
I’ve seen there new firmware for the elite’s to use cruse control, feature works with the DBW system only tho... not sure about the auto tho
I didn't realize cruise control was an issue when attaching a piggybacked ECU. I assume Aristo ECU would continue to handle cruise control. Not that it's worth a lot on these cars. With a max of 65mph, it doesn't see a lot of use for me.
Old 01-26-19, 11:30 PM
Aussiegs3
Rookie

I didn't realize cruise control was an issue when attaching a piggybacked ECU. I assume Aristo ECU would continue to handle cruise control. Not that it's worth a lot on these cars. With a max of 65mph, it doesn't see a lot of use for me.
cruise isn’t a problem with piggy backing but it is when using it stand alone

Quick Reply: Aristo Swappers - Share your engine tuning solutions