GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I'm in ABS HELL.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18 | 12:12 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Default I'm in ABS HELL.

Hi to all the long-timers on here! I've been dormant. Still have my 2 Gen 1999 GS400. 168000 miles. It's been sitting for 2 years after I failed emissions and the ABS went nuts.

So last couple days I decide to work on it. Checked all 4 sensors' resistance, all were within spec. Noticed a ton of metal filings on outside of both rear ABS sensors. Cleaned. Pulled sensors. Both had an extreme amount of metal filings on the magnet of the sensor. Looked at the reluctor rings - the teeth seem to be worn down greatly.

Question 1: For you Lexus techs out there, what causes the reluctor rings to wear like this in the rear??? (Note that the front seemed clean and more sealed, no problems there.) There seemed to be quite a bit of rust around the area.

Question 2: If the rings are worn out, will I need new sensors if the resistance is still OK? Or did the sensors become ground down as well? I'd really like to avoid buying new sensors.

I'm guessing, from reading the other threads on the subject, that I'm going to need new axles/hubs having the new reluctor rings. The assemblies don't seem expensive from RockAuto, and it seems like a PITA to get the old ring off and new ring onto a rusty assembly and get it right.

Advice appreciated. Car is throwing 01223 ABS code with right rear sensor 0210, and 0215 popped up today as well, so I'm pretty sure it's the rings that are the problem.
Old 12-20-18 | 01:50 PM
salimshah

Before you go trying to fix the ABS code, can you make sure your battery and charging system are good. Not GS, but on RX, couple of my diodes in the alternator had gone bad and with a fully charged battery, there was enough noise (AC spikes) that kept throwing ABS error code. I chased my tail till the day I decided to change the rectifier pack and never saw the problems.

Salim

PS: I took the alternator out and had it bench tested.
Old 12-20-18 | 08:23 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Originally Posted by salimshah
Before you go trying to fix the ABS code, can you make sure your battery and charging system are good. Not GS, but on RX, couple of my diodes in the alternator had gone bad and with a fully charged battery, there was enough noise (AC spikes) that kept throwing ABS error code. I chased my tail till the day I decided to change the rectifier pack and never saw the problems.

Salim

PS: I took the alternator out and had it bench tested.

Thanks for the input. I will check the alternator, it's probably time. Maybe even just put a new one on.
The reluctor rings at the rear wheels did not look good to me at all though. Looked like they had almost no teeth.
Old 12-21-18 | 08:05 AM
rossmer
Rookie

+1 on bad alternator causing ABS issues. See my replies below on my 99 GS300.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-vsc-help.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...246-c1223.html