GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98-00 Navi upgrade options... Swapping in the 01-05 screen

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-18, 12:08 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 98-00 Navi upgrade options... Swapping in the 01-05 screen

Hello members! Long time forum member here...

I just picked up a 2000 GS400 to keep my GS450H company in the driveway.

It has the older hard drive based Navi and would like to know if its possible to swap in a Mark Levinson screen from the 01-05 years?
I found a ML screen and map dvd player on OfferUp here in SoCal
Does anyone know if its plug and play or would I need the ML amp and all the speakers to really get it to work?

I really only want the screen for video (I have a VAIS Medialinq+ in my 450H), not necessarily for the maps although it would be cool to get it to work

Orrrrrr is it just easier to source AC controls from a non-Navi and throw in an aftermarket deck? I do like keeping things stock looking so I'd prefer retrofitting the newer screen

Thanks in advance for all the input

Old 12-30-18, 02:19 PM
firelizard

Received 440 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm fairly certain you can't send video through the ML screen without an inordinate amount of work. The easiest option by far is to install an aftermarket deck with the no-nav climate controls, but then you will need an aftermarket amplifier for the subwoofer channel.
Old 12-30-18, 04:01 PM
Cwiok71
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
I'm fairly certain you can't send video through the ML screen without an inordinate amount of work. The easiest option by far is to install an aftermarket deck with the no-nav climate controls, but then you will need an aftermarket amplifier for the subwoofer channel.
Oh really.?. I thought the 01-05 Navi could be "bypassed" to at least watch DVD's like my 07 450H. Then I was going to add a VAIS unit again, like my 450H to add another video input.

The aftermarket route is sounding better.

Thanks for the reply
Old 01-01-19, 04:39 PM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I would go aftermarket setup which have backup camera, Bluetooth and hands free calling etc. Some of the newer mid to high end Pioneer and other brands also offer mirror link for your phone.
I did an install of a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX double DIN head unit and installed a Kenwood amp (KAC-5207) in the location of the stock CD changer to power the sub. The other four door speakers are powered by the head unit. I used the stock brackets from the CD changer and made a rack for the amp. I used the Metra harness kit (Metra 70-1761) to make all connections without cutting any of the wires on the oem harness. Clean easy install. I connect my phone to the plug on the head unit and I can display WAZE and goggle maps for direction while listening to Pandora in the background.
I say look into this option if you plan on keeping the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by BiGEZ:
firelizard (01-02-19), socal3 (01-02-19)
Old 01-03-19, 10:25 PM
alimbek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can check this post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-repair.html
Old 01-05-19, 05:58 AM
alimbek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwiok71
Hello members! Long time forum member here...

I just picked up a 2000 GS400 to keep my GS450H company in the driveway.

It has the older hard drive based Navi and would like to know if its possible to swap in a Mark Levinson screen from the 01-05 years?
I found a ML screen and map dvd player on OfferUp here in SoCal
Does anyone know if its plug and play or would I need the ML amp and all the speakers to really get it to work?

I really only want the screen for video (I have a VAIS Medialinq+ in my 450H), not necessarily for the maps although it would be cool to get it to work

Orrrrrr is it just easier to source AC controls from a non-Navi and throw in an aftermarket deck? I do like keeping things stock looking so I'd prefer retrofitting the newer screen

Thanks in advance for all the input

Yes, theoretically, you can do it, but you need to do the following: 1. The wires of the plugs are different (I can give pinouts). 2. the speedometer is also needed from Restyle 3. the gateway ecu need also 4. wires to the navigation unit as the navigation unit will be from Restyle

ML amplifier and speakers no need

Also possibly upgrade your restyle monitor with rear view camera function aux function and video in function fir external mediaplayers

for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3rieRDqx7g&app=desktop