GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering Wheel Never Stays Centers & Bumpsteer

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 04:57 AM
Mackd1418
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Never Stays Centers & Bumpsteer

My 99 GS3 steering wheel never stays centered . I done changed every front suspension part except sway bar , I changed rack bushing , LCA 1 & 2 , UCA , endlinks , ball joint , tires all that and got an alignment , the problem is sometimes the steering is centered and I might turn a corner or just keep driving next thing I notice steering off to the right or off to the left , never stays center but pretty much track straight until about 70mph is where I start noticing bump steer when going over bumps or anything uneven , kinda feel like the tires are bouncy . I am running 18x8 with 225/45 OEM Lexus wheels in the front and fender is sitting right at the top of the tire .. Coulda RCA help me with this ? Or any suggestions ?
Old 01-14-19, 08:47 AM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Was going to say rack bushings but you changed those. Hmmm, Upper arms? maybe the upper bushings are shot, or the rack itself.
Old 01-14-19, 09:42 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Are you trying to self diagnose or the suspension shop has done examination?

Reason I say that is the lift that the suspension shop has can configure loaded/unloaded situations and those guys can easily stress the joints with levers. At home I could not do much other than look for play min the steering link.

I just recently removed the Lower control arm and now waiting to get the alignment. I plan to go to a speed shop for alignment and not one of the speedy chain. Will cost ne 2x.

Salim
Old 01-14-19, 11:56 AM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

Have you checked the tensioner on the steering rack?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...djustment.html
Old 01-14-19, 02:01 PM
Mackd1418
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Are you trying to self diagnose or the suspension shop has done examination?

Reason I say that is the lift that the suspension shop has can configure loaded/unloaded situations and those guys can easily stress the joints with levers. At home I could not do much other than look for play min the steering link.

I just recently removed the Lower control arm and now waiting to get the alignment. I plan to go to a speed shop for alignment and not one of the speedy chain. Will cost ne 2x.

Salim
I recently changed Lower control arm , like 3 weeks ago as the alignment shop told me to do it before getting alignment. Didn’t take it to a suspension shop though did all the work my self n with the help of some buddies .. I got It aligned at a popular shop , wasn’t a chain .
Originally Posted by lexo98
Have you checked the tensioner on the steering rack?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...djustment.html
i actually tighten the steering tensioner a lil bit which made it a lil better and former .

Originally Posted by Arcadian
Was going to say rack bushings but you changed those. Hmmm, Upper arms? maybe the upper bushings are shot, or the rack itself.
I just changed UCA last February with Megan UCA . I was thinking maybe the rack , but it doesn’t leak or anything , I installed steering rack bushing last February also . You think it could cause the play like that though ?