GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 05:59 AM
Bassysingh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel

So, I'm brand new to this Lexus game, help me out here. I'll be asking a plethora of questions that I hope you all can help me with. Firstly, my steering wheel doesn't have the down buttons. 1) wth? 2) can I switch it for ones with the buttons without an issue? 3) has there been an updated solution to solve radio controls on these models?

Help a noob out if you can
Old 01-14-19, 07:41 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Assuming you either have a 98-00 GS300 or 01+ GS430. No, you can't just retrofit the steering wheel and have the buttons work. There are differences in the transmissions that allow the feature to work - shift solenoids primarily, I believe. Someone else may be able to comment on whether or not you could replace these solenoids and gain the functionality.

The 98-00 GS300 didn't have the e-shift capability I assume because the GS400 was considered the 'sporty' offering. I believe the GS430 lost the feature due to the car being certified as ULEV. At least the 430 got steering wheel audio controls that can't easily be added to any other model.
Old 01-14-19, 08:29 PM
Bassysingh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RVAGS400
Assuming you either have a 98-00 GS300 or 01+ GS430. No, you can't just retrofit the steering wheel and have the buttons work. There are differences in the transmissions that allow the feature to work - shift solenoids primarily, I believe. Someone else may be able to comment on whether or not you could replace these solenoids and gain the functionality.

The 98-00 GS300 didn't have the e-shift capability I assume because the GS400 was considered the 'sporty' offering. I believe the GS430 lost the feature due to the car being certified as ULEV. At least the 430 got steering wheel audio controls that can't easily be added to any other model.
Oh man, I didn't even state what I had. So yeah, I grabbed a 00 GS300.
If anybody has a thread about making the buttons work, pls lmk.
Also, what about button controls for car audio? I think there are kits out there that attach to the OEM steering wheel, anybody done this?
Old 01-15-19, 05:40 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bassysingh
Oh man, I didn't even state what I had. So yeah, I grabbed a 00 GS300.
If anybody has a thread about making the buttons work, pls lmk.
Also, what about button controls for car audio? I think there are kits out there that attach to the OEM steering wheel, anybody done this?
The GS430 had audio controls:

Here is one thread where someone used a PAC module with an aftermarket stereo to get things to work. I haven't seen a way to make them work with any stock stereo, 98-2000 or 01+. There was never a stock GS that had both audio controls and e-shift.
I was able however to put an 01+ stereo in my 2000 GS400 by making a pigtail harness. The extra features like RDS and a display that won't burn out made that worth it.
Old 01-16-19, 06:24 AM
rossmer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The GS430 had audio controls:

Here is one thread where someone used a PAC module with an aftermarket stereo to get things to work. I haven't seen a way to make them work with any stock stereo, 98-2000 or 01+. There was never a stock GS that had both audio controls and e-shift.
I was able however to put an 01+ stereo in my 2000 GS400 by making a pigtail harness. The extra features like RDS and a display that won't burn out made that worth it.
Can you provide details on this pigtail harness to attach an 01+ stereo into a 98-00 GS3? Does the 01+ have different connector(s) on the back? I recall reading this a while back but can't find any details now.
Old 01-16-19, 06:34 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rossmer
Can you provide details on this pigtail harness to attach an 01+ stereo into a 98-00 GS3? Does the 01+ have different connector(s) on the back? I recall reading this a while back but can't find any details now.
Here is an excellent DIY from iToaster.

I had to make several changes from his instructions based on my FSM set and the FSM wiring diagrams for the 01+ cars - can't recall what they were. I have PDFs on my computer at home that I can give if needed, but it was mostly straight forward. I intend to add a Grom unit to my car for aux and bluetooth streaming. Cannot stand the way aftermarket stereos look in the 2GS cars.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (02-04-19)
Old 01-16-19, 07:33 AM
rossmer
Rookie

I had to make several changes from his instructions based on my FSM set and the FSM wiring diagrams for the 01+ cars - can't recall what they were. I have PDFs on my computer at home that I can give if needed, but it was mostly straight forward. I intend to add a Grom unit to my car for aux and bluetooth streaming. Cannot stand the way aftermarket stereos look in the 2GS cars.
Thanks any pdfs would be helpful. What is FSM? Will the Grom bluetooth/aux unit still allow the CD changer connection? I'm the last holdout for the silver discs.
Old 01-20-19, 12:54 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you referring to the steering wheel with the e-shift "up/down" buttons? The 98-00GS300 never had the steering wheel shifting feature. I know the GS400 did but not sure about the GS430. I just bought a steering wheel with the shift features that I plan on putting into my 98 GS300. I pulled it out of a 2004 GS300. The reason I plan on using it in my 98 is because I have a complete Aristo swap. The transmission is an A341E. The "E" indicates that it was the capability to shift with the e-shift steering wheel. So l like previously mentioned, it is only worth doing on a transmission that has the "E" at the end of its name. In addition to upgrading the steering wheel, you also have to swap out the clock spring behind it. If you buy a newer year steering wheel like me, you also have to get the appropriate air bag. You have to consider two things when upgrading these with a newer year, the air bags are not the same size and they are dual stage not single. My solution for that is to source a 2003 RX300 with a clean interior and pull the bag off of that. The size fits perfectly and it was the last year for the single stage air bags on the RX. Perfect match for the GS and for what I am trying to accomplish.
Old 01-21-19, 11:58 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The steering shift capability is ECU based. The connectors on the trans varied from 98-99 and 00+.
It's possible to retrofit the steering shift capability but there's alot involved in the cost.
You'll need
a new ECU that is compatible with the 99-00 engine harness and have the e-shift capability to control 5 speed auto.
Steering wheel
01+ GS300 or 98-00 GS400 Clock spring.
Wiring from steering to ECU

It's been done, as far as I know, I'm the only one that has retrofitted this system.
Old 01-21-19, 11:59 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP161
Are you referring to the steering wheel with the e-shift "up/down" buttons? The 98-00GS300 never had the steering wheel shifting feature. I know the GS400 did but not sure about the GS430. I just bought a steering wheel with the shift features that I plan on putting into my 98 GS300. I pulled it out of a 2004 GS300. The reason I plan on using it in my 98 is because I have a complete Aristo swap. The transmission is an A341E. The "E" indicates that it was the capability to shift with the e-shift steering wheel. So l like previously mentioned, it is only worth doing on a transmission that has the "E" at the end of its name. In addition to upgrading the steering wheel, you also have to swap out the clock spring behind it. If you buy a newer year steering wheel like me, you also have to get the appropriate air bag. You have to consider two things when upgrading these with a newer year, the air bags are not the same size and they are dual stage not single. My solution for that is to source a 2003 RX300 with a clean interior and pull the bag off of that. The size fits perfectly and it was the last year for the single stage air bags on the RX. Perfect match for the GS and for what I am trying to accomplish.
I'm using the same air bag with my 99 and newer year clockspring.
Old 01-29-19, 10:23 AM
rossmer
Rookie

Any pdfs for wiring harness for 98-00 to 01+ radio conversion would be greatly appreciated. Grom stated that their aux input devices replace and emulate the CD changer and therefore you lose the changer.
Old 01-29-19, 07:56 PM
firelizard

Received 450 Likes on 356 Posts

You can use both the factory changer and a Grom unit in the 01+.
The following users liked this post:
rossmer (01-30-19)
Old 02-04-19, 07:56 AM
rossmer
Rookie

Would you happen to have these pdfs for building the harness? I'm going to do this mod in the next couple weeks as I scored an 01+ connector pair this weekend at the junkyard.
Old 02-07-19, 06:20 AM
rossmer
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
You can use both the factory changer and a Grom unit in the 01+.
Can you provide more details on the interface to the Grom units particularly the BT3 model with bluetooth and Aux in? I've built an adapter harness to upgrade my Non-Nav 99 GS300 to an 01+ radio. I've researched with several Youtube videos with Groms in the GS430 and they all show the installer disconnecting the CD changer in the glovebox first. I want to keep changer capability if possible. Also several videos show the Grom connecting to different connectors on the back of the 01+ radio. One video shows connecting the Grom Y-cable to the larger 20-pin connector and another shows connecting to the 12-pin connector. I do know the 20-pin connector carries all audio/data signals between radio and amp. The 12-pin only has 2 wires that connect to multi-display and Gateway ECU on the 01+. On the 98-00 these 2 wires only connect to the multi-display. I'm totally confused here with conflicting reports on changer capability and interface. Any help from folks who have experience with the Groms on our cars is greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audio-01-05.pdf (522.6 KB, 256 views)
File Type: pdf
Audio-98-00.pdf (1.36 MB, 158 views)
Old 02-07-19, 07:48 AM
RVAGS400
Driver School Candidate

My apologies on not getting you the PDFs, but it appears you figured out the wiring harness situation. Those are indeed the same PDFs that I used.

It looks like the GROM units do require disabling the CD changer. Which, to me isn't a big deal but I can understand wanting to retain all functions in the car. I am reconsidering and might just use their AUX function as A2DP tends to have fairly weak music quality anyways.

As for the 12 pin connector, I believe the Gateway ECU communicates with the steering wheel controls on the GS430s.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel