GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs300 Misfire Have tried EVERYTHING, Help Please !

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 09:10 AM
exxonham
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroWill

I now work at CARMAX, but am a long time dealership tech. I am an ASE Master Technician as well as a Nissan and Infiniti Master Tech.

Out of curiousity, when one gets “Free Diagnostics,” does anyone get anything other than a readout of a code?

Every dealer where I have worked, one must pay for 1 hour of labor for an actual diagnosis.

I have worked for Nissan, Infiniti, and Maserati/Alfa Romeo. All three dealers had the same policy for free diagnostics. If I scan a car and find a P0301 DTC, all I will say is that it is a cylinder 1 misfire and X,Y, or Z could be the cause.

Why should I actually diagnose something for free at work? All I am doing is potentially screwing myself out of performing a repair.

When I am on the forums, I am more than happy to help of course!

Will
I must have said the wrong thing. I explained to the dealer what I had done, He quoted me over min $400 for the labor, with possibility closer to $600 he said. of course I don't expect anyone to do anything for free, But thought that was little outrageous. I then took it to another certified toyota and lexus tech, Paid over $200 and they still were able to find nothing.

Since you are ASE and have worked on all these cars, and reading what I have wrote, What would you suggest I DO ?
Old 01-23-19, 09:12 AM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
Seems like you have a hard time accepting advice.
Changing the connector vs checking the wire loom is 2 different things.
These are pics of why this check is recommended.
Very common failure that people overlook,

Thank you, Yes I did not know this was common. And didnt know I should check the who loom. But your right, I should check this, and will do later today. So I should follow wires back as far as I can go with them ?

Thanks
Old 01-23-19, 12:23 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you change your timing belt yourself?
Old 01-23-19, 01:44 PM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by Tuanville
Did you change your timing belt yourself?
Yes changed timing belt when I took everything apart, with Toyota belt, changed my crank and cam seals while I was in there bc I had minor oil leak. Double and tripple checked it was back on time. Some have said I could be off a tooth of timing, and it could still run fine but misfire, but I checked that many times, and I dont think that could be an issue, but who knows, I still have no clue. Still going to chase all wiring from loom like other member suggested. That actually seems like it could be a prob, or short, bc car runs great 80% of time, then randomly coming from red light or getting on highway ramp, it starts to stutter and check engine light flashes, and after few sec, it runs fine and I drive for miles until it happens again.
Old 01-23-19, 11:11 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by exxonham
Thank you, Yes I did not know this was common. And didnt know I should check the who loom. But your right, I should check this, and will do later today. So I should follow wires back as far as I can go with them ?

Thanks
The only problematic area is just behind the cam gears as shown in the photo, 6 wires, 3 looms.
Old 01-24-19, 12:32 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Check those wires tw99 mentioned. if that doesnt work out for you then here is a pdf that might help you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0301.pdf (104.3 KB, 401 views)
Old 01-24-19, 05:55 AM
EuroWill
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I must have said the wrong thing. I explained to the dealer what I had done, He quoted me over min $400 for the labor, with possibility closer to $600 he said. of course I don't expect anyone to do anything for free, But thought that was little outrageous. I then took it to another certified toyota and lexus tech, Paid over $200 and they still were able to find nothing.

Since you are ASE and have worked on all these cars, and reading what I have wrote, What would you suggest I DO ?
I would look look at the wires that TW99 mentioned. I suspect you will find your problem there.
Old 01-25-19, 04:32 PM
exxonham
Driver

Checked the wires today, ran back as far as I could, seemed to be no shorts.

Hey, called the mechanic that I first took too, He said it was an ignition misfire ? I must have not known that, but he said it was bc I did not use factory wires, The only non factory items I did not use was the spark plug wires, I did use NGK, which Ive never had any probs with, so just bought toyota wire and about to put in, do yall think this could be the issue ? Will let you all know when I start back up with new wire, got to get new pvc hoses, break them all the time when I take this crap off, but will let yall know
Old 01-25-19, 04:35 PM
exxonham
Driver

Seems like you have a hard time accepting advice.
Changing the connector vs checking the wire loom is 2 different things.
These are pics of why this check is recommended.
Very common failure that people overlook,

Hey will send pic soon, but when I checked the wire loom, everything looked fine, but there was some sort of fuse, kinda looked burnt, in the loom right where your pic stops. it had about 8 wires taped to some sort of fuse, I have never seen anything like this, and dont see one in your pic. Do you have any idea what that could be ? Looks kinda like a thin tube, or small light bulb
Old 05-01-19, 07:24 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Those are butt connectors to connect the wires together. Can be used in a jam, solder and heat shrink would be preferred.
Old 05-04-19, 06:57 PM
DJKontakt
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There’s a 98 down the road with a misfire and the wiring harness looks like it’s disintegrating. No title since it didn’t pass smog in so long but honestly I might offer $500 and take it to mess with. It can get a title if I can get it smogged
Old 05-05-19, 03:01 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DJKontakt
There’s a 98 down the road with a misfire and the wiring harness looks like it’s disintegrating. No title since it didn’t pass smog in so long but honestly I might offer $500 and take it to mess with. It can get a title if I can get it smogged
Surprised you can't get it titled without smog... registration makes sense, yet proof of ownership isn't possible?
Old 05-05-19, 05:48 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Checked the wires today, ran back as far as I could, seemed to be no shorts.

Hey, called the mechanic that I first took too, He said it was an ignition misfire ? I must have not known that, but he said it was bc I did not use factory wires, The only non factory items I did not use was the spark plug wires, I did use NGK, which Ive never had any probs with, so just bought toyota wire and about to put in, do yall think this could be the issue ? Will let you all know when I start back up with new wire, got to get new pvc hoses, break them all the time when I take this crap off, but will let yall know
I've been ruining the blue NGK wires myself and on other vehicles. NGK is top of the line in all things ignition and even things like o2 sensors.. I'm surprised the mechanic would say that. Seems like a guess to me. I'd have to see a new OEM and NGK set and resistance check each corresponding length wire and compare them and see drastically different resistance to accept that NGK got it wrong. They are pretty on point with their products. Doesn't mean you don't have a bad wire, or a defect, or that one is arching somewhere, but to say that using them in general is the cause is implausible.
Old 11-08-21, 06:39 PM
Motorcity1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When Replacing coil pack harness plugs

Since you replaced the spark plug, the biggest overlooked item is the coil pack harness in the 2JZ VVTI motors. It gets really hot in the plug valley, and when the harnesses gets moved they become brittle from heat treatment over the years. The shielding breaks off and will short itself out. I would strongly start from behind the cam gear and cut open the 3 coil pack harness and inspect them carefully.
When Replacing the connectors we lined up the striped wire to the side of the clasp. Is that right? Also the closest coil wires had 2 wires that were striped instead of one solid like the others. We matched the same color stripe to the same side as the others but now we're not able to start the engine and seems to be misfiring. It wants to turn over but starts clicking and cuts out. Any help is appreciated.