GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Buying a GS400 with accident history.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 03:38 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will probably have a hard time selling it when you don't want it anymore because it was in a serious accident.
Old 08-04-03, 09:57 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by aliga
If you can get the car below kbb wholesale - 5K, then I would say it is worth it.
What do you mean by KBB wholesale? Do you mean Private Party or trade-in(neither of which= wholesale)?

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
You will probably have a hard time selling it when you don't want it anymore because it was in a serious accident.
If you plan on keeping such a car for a while(which most people do when they buy a car) then there's no reason(if the car has been properly repaired [get it inspected to verify this]) not to take advantage of the discounted price.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-04-03 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-05-03, 06:26 AM
LexusBum
Driver School Candidate

One more question. If I know the VIN number of the car, can I call Lexus and find out what kind of services were performed on this car ?
Old 08-05-03, 06:47 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

trade in = wholesale
Old 08-05-03, 07:54 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know price is good in this deal, is it really worth the risk and potential aggravation down the road if something does indeed go wrong.

If you still are considering the car, i would definately test drive car at low , mid and high speed (on highway) and look out for any unusual vibrations.

Good luck whatever your decision is.
Old 08-05-03, 10:36 AM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by LexusBum
The reason is that the price that I can get the car is only $21100. It is Black on Black with PREMIUM PKG.
what's the title on this car? salvaged? can you tell that it had body work done to it?
personally, i would never consider a car that was in an accident. my advice is to be
patient and look for the perfect GS4 that you really want.
Old 08-05-03, 10:52 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

One more question. If I know the VIN number of the car, can I call Lexus and find out what kind of services were performed on this car ?
Yes, you can.. they might need the owner on the titles consent though(you have to check on that) this should always be done even with an allegedly clean car.

Originally posted by aliga
trade in = wholesale
Trade-in= Trade-in or what I can pay someone for their vehicle when I take a car in on trade.. this # is always lower than wholesale which is generally what I would expect to pay for a vehicle at auction. The order of operation is trade-in, wholesale, private party & Dealer Retail.

Originally posted by GS4fun
If you still are considering the car, i would definately test drive car at low , mid and high speed (on highway) and look out for any unusual vibrations.

Good luck whatever your decision is.
What your recommending is exactly what he should do on top of researching the service records & having the vehicle inspected by an Ind. impartial third party(i.e. a mobile Inspection Service). If everything checks out(which is possible) he just found himself paying much less for a good vehicle.

Originally posted by Straight6
what's the title on this car? salvaged? can you tell that it had body work done to it?
personally, i would never consider a car that was in an accident. my advice is to be
patient and look for the perfect GS4 that you really want.
He already said the car had a clean title.. everyone has different needs if you are someone that keeps a car for a long time or drives it until it dies then this is a great deal.

Last edited by JAC JZS; 08-05-03 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-05-03, 12:24 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

I was once bought a 1990 Toyota Cressida that had rear end collision but I did not know until the inspection after the sale. The car suffered alignment problem that even the Toyota dealer could not fix because the frame was bent. It caused the inner tire to wear out. I ended up replacing a new set of tire at the beginning of every winter season. I got the car lower than the KBB trade-in. Beside the alignment problem, the body exterior at the rear inner door and the trunk corner started to rust after 2 years due to cracking. However, the car ran very well. I indeed did have the car for the rest of its life until 200000 miles before I sold it.

I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus GS400 in June for $28500. It is Platnum w/o Navigator, 16" wheels, no spoiler. Your $21000 seem to be a good catch. Test drive the car at low, mid, and high speed and see if the wheel steers to one side on a flat surface. Look at each tire for uneven wear on either the inner or outer side. If all of these check out to be OK, you got yourself a good price.
Old 08-05-03, 12:35 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by sung35
I was once bought a 1990 Toyota Cressida that had rear end collision but I did not know until the inspection after the sale. The car suffered alignment problem that even the Toyota dealer could not fix because the frame was bent. It caused the inner tire to wear out. I ended up replacing a new set of tire at the beginning of every winter season. I got the car lower than the KBB trade-in. Beside the alignment problem, the body exterior at the rear inner door and the trunk corner started to rust after 2 years due to cracking. However, the car ran very well. I indeed did have the car for the rest of its life until 200000 miles before I sold it.

I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus GS400 in June for $28500. It is Platnum w/o Navigator, 16" wheels, no spoiler. Your $21000 seem to be a good catch. Test drive the car at low, mid, and high speed and see if the wheel steers to one side on a flat surface. Look at each tire for uneven wear on either the inner or outer side. If all of these check out to be OK, you got yourself a good price.
Old 08-05-03, 01:12 PM
LexusBum
Driver School Candidate

I have tried to go to the dealership to get a history for the car VIN. No luck. Does anybody know how I can get that done?

Last edited by LexusBum; 08-05-03 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-05-03, 01:21 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

I have tried to go to the dealership to get a history for the car VIN. No luck. Does anybody know how I can get that done?
Yeah they are going to need the consent of the owner on the title before they can give you that info.. if the owner has nothing to hide he should not have a problem OKing the release of that information..
Old 08-06-03, 12:19 PM
LexusBum
Driver School Candidate

Got the copy of the title. The title saying that it is a "Previous Damage - Florida" . Will that be considered "Salvage" title?
Old 08-06-03, 12:53 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Title comments

Got the copy of the title. The title saying that it is a "Previous Damage - Florida" . Will that be considered "Salvage" title?
Title comments vary from state to state, some states still allow cars to be sold with clean title even if the car has been demolished and rebuilt. I would call the Florida DMV to get the definition of what that means, or even check on the DMV website...most states will have that info on their sites.

http://www.onlinedmv.com/FL_Florida_...r_vehicles.htm

Last edited by Johnny Mo; 08-06-03 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-06-03, 01:56 PM
Straight6
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i'm not sure if that's the same thing as a salvaged title.. but off what i know.. salvage vehicles
cannot be registered in the same state the title was issued from...
Old 08-06-03, 02:21 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

run a carfax, it will say salvage history or not. To me it sounds like a clean title with salvage history.