GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone F/IC Tune a NA - GS300??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 08:55 PM
MosesGS300
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone F/IC Tune a NA - GS300??

Has anyone tuned an NA GS300? Was there any power gains from it? I have been thinking about getting a AEM FIC and maybe a 264 CAM to hopefully get 25+Hp increase but I'm not sure if thats possible. Also can the AEM FIC do E85?
Old 02-27-19, 11:56 PM
firelizard

Received 455 Likes on 360 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...92-tuning.html

Lots of people have tuned IS300s with the same motor and the power gains are marginal. FIC can't advance ignition timing which makes it a poor choice for E85, which your stock fuel system doesn't support.
Old 02-28-19, 05:24 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

We are kind of on the same path. I'm not 100% on doing the tuner yet, but it likely will be an Apexi SAFC or AFC Neo. The cams will hands down a performance increase. Especially with the supporting intake and exhaust mods you and I have. Same BC cam grinds planned. They are advertised as "plug and play" so at least they can be installed and the car still run. I just finished my full intake and exhaust, trans cooler, and various maintenance on the car. All new ignition system, timing components with water pump, and new cooling system. The cam swap is coming in the near future. Just too busy for the next month or two basically mechanically restoring an 01 RX300 for my mom. Short of the heads coming off for the gaskets, Its getting everything replaced/repaired + full steering and suspension too. Once that project is done and I take the 1,300 mile trip to deliver it to her, I'll be back on focus with my car.

Some other things to consider if you are chasing performance and fuel economy that people don't think about: Remove the full size tire and jack/tool kit. (I have AAA and would never need to use it). My car came with extra Lexus Logo'd matting in the trunk that is actually quite heavy and goes over an already very nice trunk space. This and the rear seat floor mats are out. I have no interest in using CDs or the changer. It has been removed from above the glove box. None of these things are being tossed or ruined. I just don't need them in the car. They would go back in if I ever planned to sell. I am all about weight reduction to an extent. But not at the cost of comfort anymore. My Vette no longer has any kind of music, A/C or HVAC system, no sound deadening, 1 Spacro bucket seat. The car became an all out drag car as I had been bitten by the ET trap time bug. This car won't be taken down the same path. There won't be any noticeable things missing and it will retain its street legal manners, but going for the sort of sleeper thing too. Don't get me wrong I know the car is never going to be "fast". Just somewhat surprising to the ricers out there.

A point of reference for me has been my old lady's E60 530i. Picked this up for her two years ago and got familiar with it. It was a better performer than my GS when it was new to me for sure. More power, much better throttle response and shifts. Did the same kind of weight savings on it. At this point though the GS has really came alive and driving both cars, the GS pulls harder and feels a bit quicker.
Old 02-28-19, 08:10 AM
firelizard

Worth adding also that IS300 tuners, including BC themselves agree that the 264 cams don't need an SAFC or FIC or EMS because the factory ECU will adjust on its own. If you're going to bother with additional fuel and ignition modifications, you might as well get a bigger cam and see more gains.
Old 02-28-19, 08:32 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

I'm actually hoping that's true. It will make it cheaper to just do the cam swap. And if i'm happy with how it runs, then great. I'm just not sold on the idea that it will run right. Will see soon I guess.
Old 02-28-19, 10:59 AM
MosesGS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
I'm actually hoping that's true. It will make it cheaper to just do the cam swap. And if i'm happy with how it runs, then great. I'm just not sold on the idea that it will run right. Will see soon I guess.
Yea I am not quite sure on how the stock ECU will handle the 264 cam without a tune.. I have seen an IS300 on youtube with the cam and no tune and it seemed fine..
Old 02-28-19, 11:04 AM
MosesGS300
Rookie

Does anyone have dyno graphs of a stock GS with cams? I found some on MY.IS but the image links were broken

Last edited by MosesGS300; 02-28-19 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 01:10 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Some other things to consider if you are chasing performance and fuel economy that people don't think about: Remove the full size tire and jack/tool kit. (I have AAA and would never need to use it). My car came with extra Lexus Logo'd matting in the trunk that is actually quite heavy and goes over an already very nice trunk space. This and the rear seat floor mats are out. I have no interest in using CDs or the changer. It has been removed from above the glove box. None of these things are being tossed or ruined. I just don't need them in the car. They would go back in if I ever planned to sell. I am all about weight reduction to an extent. But not at the cost of comfort anymore. My Vette no longer has any kind of music, A/C or HVAC system, no sound deadening, 1 Spacro bucket seat. The car became an all out drag car as I had been bitten by the ET trap time bug. This car won't be taken down the same path. There won't be any noticeable things missing and it will retain its street legal manners, but going for the sort of sleeper thing too. Don't get me wrong I know the car is never going to be "fast". Just somewhat surprising to the ricers out there.
The issue with the GS is... weight. When they built it, they built it to last, and that requires strength, which requires more/better materials... mostly more.

It's just that everything is so heavy. Caliper/rotors... monsters. Struts, control arms, tie rods, sway bars, knuckles, half-shafts, rear diff, propeller shafts... all heavier then they need to be. 17mm bolts that are 14mm on others, 14mm that are 12mm on others, etc. Doors, motors, handles, regulators, speakers... windows (when we parted some doors, it was frightening how heavy they were... empty). And yes... a 17" full-sized spare is heavy. Heaven knows what the sun roof assembly weighs... imagine a delete-kit, that leaves the sunroof glass, yet removes the assembly with just installation/support brackets. Just about everything we've take off or replaced, most of the time weights 2x what it does on a Camry.

So yes, weight is your enemy, and there are quick fixes... yet weight is the foundation of the car's structural rigidity...
Old 02-28-19, 03:42 PM
firelizard

That's why the Toyotas got optional turbochargers and Lexus got V8s, instead of a 2JZ with mild cams.
Most of the suspension and driveline parts you cited aren't oversized at all, and the hardware sizes are all pretty much what one would expect. The car is heavy because everything is made of steel (except the V8 motors), there's a bunch of insulation and creature comforts, and mainly: it's big.

Last edited by firelizard; 02-28-19 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 02:53 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

AEM FIC is garbage. Really anything short of a standalone(which will still need to piggyback from the stock ecu) is going to give you headaches. Also 264's on stock ecu has been proven since quite a while back-

https://www.my.is/forums/f88/dyno-re...-pulls-426313/

Last edited by Revive; 03-01-19 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 03:37 PM
MosesGS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Revive
AEM FIC is garbage. Really anything short of a standalone(which will still need to piggyback from the stock ecu) is going to give you headaches. Also 264's on stock ecu has been proven since quite a while back-

https://www.my.is/forums/f88/dyno-re...-pulls-426313/
what about higher than 264 cams?
Old 03-01-19, 04:45 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MosesGS300
what about higher than 264 cams?
You can expect to need some tuning and a head build at that point, yes... It's a 2jz. Things get expensive quick regardless of how you approach them.