GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 Key Wont Unlock The Door

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-19, 08:33 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok, I was wrong. All you need is a master key with or without the keyless entree capabilities to program the new fob. Ive misread and gotten mixed up infos with valet key features. I will get the aftermarket key fob from eBay, get the key cut by local locksmith and program it and see if it works. As far as passenger door, glove box and trunk lock cylinders go, Im hoping those cylinders are just froze up because of the age.....I will keep you updated. Thanks so much for your instructions! Im new to Lexus or luxury cars period and having no ideas lol
Old 03-02-19, 11:51 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

If you buy your Lexus key through your local Lexus dealer they should cut it to your vin for free when you bring in your vehicle title and ID. Also look around for prices because my 2 closest Lexus dealers each quoted me $141 and $229 for the same master key and they were within a 15 minute drive from each other also.

On my Lexus I lost my one and only master key so I had to send the ECU to get reprogrammed to accept the new Lexus key and I used this thread to program that new master key so the buttons work:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...400-430-a.html
Old 03-03-19, 03:32 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gs300maste
Ok, I was wrong. All you need is a master key with or without the keyless entree capabilities to program the new fob. Ive misread and gotten mixed up infos with valet key features. I will get the aftermarket key fob from eBay, get the key cut by local locksmith and program it and see if it works. As far as passenger door, glove box and trunk lock cylinders go, Im hoping those cylinders are just froze up because of the age.....I will keep you updated. Thanks so much for your instructions! Im new to Lexus or luxury cars period and having no ideas lol
I'd just prefer to believe they are stuck from age, non-use, or corrosion. Hard to believe they'd be different. Best case is, some penetrating-lubricant, then graphite-powder... worst case, you have to pull them, and have a qualified locksmith break them down, clean them, then put them back together.

Originally Posted by shwalker07
If you buy your Lexus key through your local Lexus dealer they should cut it to your vin for free when you bring in your vehicle title and ID. Also look around for prices because my 2 closest Lexus dealers each quoted me $141 and $229 for the same master key and they were within a 15 minute drive from each other also.

On my Lexus I lost my one and only master key so I had to send the ECU to get reprogrammed to accept the new Lexus key and I used this thread to program that new master key so the buttons work:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...400-430-a.html
On that thread, pay special attention to posts 166 and 167... frustrating that lock actuators can lock/unlock the striker, yet not signal correctly current-state to the body control module.

As per Lexus... yes, frustrating. There are (3) Lexus dealerships in our region, and non-car-sale service is atrocious. To get a part from our closest one, you have to walk up to a desk, press a door signal, and someone comes out a locked-area, to go back in to their office to look things up... no outside terminal. Gotten to the point that we take in diagrams and yellow highlight the part we need, then wait while they dig around for it. Hence, everything we get is usually from eBay, unless it's an odd-ball part, or can't wait. And yes... the prices from dealership to dealership is that different, with no discernible logic.
Old 03-03-19, 04:52 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

Originally Posted by sbagdon
I'd just prefer to believe they are stuck from age, non-use, or corrosion. Hard to believe they'd be different. Best case is, some penetrating-lubricant, then graphite-powder... worst case, you have to pull them, and have a qualified locksmith break them down, clean them, then put them back together.

On that thread, pay special attention to posts 166 and 167... frustrating that lock actuators can lock/unlock the striker, yet not signal correctly current-state to the body control module.

As per Lexus... yes, frustrating. There are (3) Lexus dealerships in our region, and non-car-sale service is atrocious. To get a part from our closest one, you have to walk up to a desk, press a door signal, and someone comes out a locked-area, to go back in to their office to look things up... no outside terminal. Gotten to the point that we take in diagrams and yellow highlight the part we need, then wait while they dig around for it. Hence, everything we get is usually from eBay, unless it's an odd-ball part, or can't wait. And yes... the prices from dealership to dealership is that different, with no discernible logic.
The closest Lexus dealership to my area is about 150miles away.....its a lot of driving to get the key cut and reprogrammed by them honestly. Its really not an option for me. Im thinking about giving local Toyota dealer a call and see if they can get the blank key cut from my VIN. If not I have to use my possibly worn key to duplicate the new one by locksmith. Hope everything goes smoothly. Ive ordered 2 set of keys with remote on eBay last night so should be getting those mailed in by sometimes this week.

Question, Is it possible to have more than 2 master keys at the same time?

Last edited by Gs300maste; 03-03-19 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 04:36 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

The closest Lexus dealership to my area is about 150miles away.....its a lot of driving to get the key cut and reprogrammed by them honestly. Its really not an option for me. Im thinking about giving local Toyota dealer a call and see if they can get the blank key cut from my VIN. If not I have to use my possibly worn key to duplicate the new one by locksmith. Hope everything goes smoothly. Ive ordered 2 set of keys with remote on eBay last night so should be getting those mailed in by sometimes this week.

Question, Is it possible to have more than 2 master keys at the same time?
Believe so. We presume our car came with 2 masters, we bought it with 1, and we've added another... not sure what the limit is... 4? 6? 8?

Toyota can do just about anything Lexus can do, minus a few things. I can get parts from Toyota, and did, as they were much closer then the nearest Lexus dealership. Just can say one way or another if they have the locksmith tools to do the Lexus keys... not sure if any Toyotas use that key style.
Old 03-04-19, 10:47 PM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

There are 2 parts to a key, the transponder and the key blade.
Regarding the key blade, could just be a bad cut, or the lock tumblers were changed at some point but incomplete set.
The security light is the tell all for your transponder. if it shuts off immediately upon inserting into ignition, it's a master key. If it stays on for 2 seconds after insert, it's a valet.

There's a seller on FB called luxious auto that makes flip style keys. I think it's around $60 or $70 with cutting and shipping included.
Old 03-14-19, 05:13 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

Update...
So I got the eBay blank key($12 shipped) and cut by local locksmith for $35. I tried to programmed it myself and bam! everything works! Physical key works on all doors + trunk except for the glove box. Im guessing my original key that came with car is worn pretty bad. Now I can lock/unlock the doors/trunk by remotes and insert/start up with new key no problem! Thanks ClubLexus!
Old 03-14-19, 06:22 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Update...
So I got the eBay blank key($12 shipped) and cut by local locksmith for $35. I tried to programmed it myself and bam! everything works! Physical key works on all doors + trunk except for the glove box. Im guessing my original key that came with car is worn pretty bad. Now I can lock/unlock the doors/trunk by remotes and insert/start up with new key no problem! Thanks ClubLexus!
Awesome!

What about the trunk lockout cylinder between the gas and trunk buttons...?
Old 03-14-19, 07:51 PM
Gs300maste
Driver

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Awesome!

What about the trunk lockout cylinder between the gas and trunk buttons...?
sbagdon, yes the trunk lock out works smooth too! Just the glove box key doesnt work for some reasons.. I'm ok with the result though. I'm very happy with it!
Old 03-15-19, 04:18 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

sbagdon, yes the trunk lock out works smooth too! Just the glove box key doesnt work for some reasons.. I'm ok with the result though. I'm very happy with it!
Again. awesome. Something to address later, yet at least you can get in/out of the car, and start it... !