GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Creak in the Dash / Windshield Area

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 08:28 PM
Houston GS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Creak in the Dash / Windshield Area

I have a 2001 GS 430 and really love it. The dealer has been great about taking care of all my fairly detailed (bit nit picky) service requests. But one has aluded us so far.

I have a creak in the dash / windshield area that is intermitent but will happen maybe ten times on your average 5 mile drive. Seems to get worse in warm weather and seems to happen with some body flex (one side going ovr a speed bump). Some times is does it going over the lane divider bumbs. It sounds like a popping creak - just makes the car sound cheap and drives me nuts.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-05-03, 10:35 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I know actually what your talking about. It drives me complety nuts and your right it does it depending on the weahter. It mostly happens to me in the cold which I find strange because wouldn't the cold make it expand and not move? Well I went to the dealer about it and he told me that it depends when the car was built. He said certain parts are expanded when there installed in Japan depending on when the car is made. So there not in the right location as they should be. Since my car was made in Dec he said that was the reason I was having the problem because are winter is there summer or something like that. I don't know if this is complete B/S. When was you car made? Winter here? If your dealer fixes the problem please let me know.
Old 08-05-03, 01:29 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please try this:

On the passenger side where the window defroster vent is:

Fold some paper about 1/2" square and 1/8" thick. I have a match book cover i tore off and stuck in there.

Tuck the paper in between the vent edge and the dash nice and tight.

That what it was in my 2000 GS. Let us know if that did the trick.
Old 08-05-03, 03:29 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Houston GS and purebliss -- see a similar thread in this forum -- 2 of us have also had the same problem.

alexulan -- I'll give it a try this week. Thanks.
Old 08-07-03, 12:14 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Whats the perm solution once you locate the creak? Felt?

I've had the same creaks for four years now.
Old 08-07-03, 03:33 PM
TerryTCL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try some lithium grease?
Old 08-08-03, 02:51 PM
Houston GS

GS3_4me - what was the title of that other string?

Alexulan - between the defroster and the dash? Is that the main defroster vent for the Windshield or the side window?

Thanks to all for your ideas so far. I will let you know.
Old 08-08-03, 03:00 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the same problem next to the driver side dash windshield area. It was extremely annoying. Thankfully my dealer was able to fix it by placing a clip and padding there. It seems to be a common problem on the GS because the Lexus tech was able to tell right away what was making the noise.
Old 08-10-03, 10:50 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Not the techs working on my car...they seem to point to the coins each time. I think it's the bezel and the instrument panel that are causing the creaks and I am going to buy a manual or get them to fax me the instrument diagrams and do the work myself.

Sometimes, you just got to do that.
Old 08-11-03, 05:18 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

HoustonGS--

Here's a link to the topic I was referring to:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=91093

Good luck -- let me know how it goes!
Old 08-11-03, 06:41 PM
Houston GS

Well that is a depressing thread GS3_4me! No good conclusion! (yet)

I still have not figured it out. I tried the wedging paper between the vent and dash, if anything made it worse. Maybe I need to try the other side (but that seemed tight and hard to get paper in). I am bringing it in tomorrow morning and I am going to bring in copies of these threads. Maybe we can get a TSB started so those that follow won't have the grief. Other than this the car is cherry.

I have some Firestone Firehawk SZ50EP's coming in a couple of days from the tirerack. Can't wait to see how these do on the GS430 - I think they'll stomp these Dunlops I currently have!! I have used these Firestones on my Corvette and also an Olds - super tire! I'll let you all know.

Thanks again for the help! This group is a great resource.
Old 08-12-03, 11:47 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

My guess would be you found the source of the rattle?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Houston GS
[B]Well that is a depressing thread GS3_4me! No good conclusion! (yet)

I still have not figured it out. I tried the wedging paper between the vent and dash, if anything made it worse. Maybe I need to try the other side (but that seemed tight and hard to get paper in).
Old 08-12-03, 03:59 PM
Houston GS

Smile

Just had it in the shop today. Test drove with the tech and no creak for the first mile then all kinds of creaks over a few bumps. He heard it.

So they had it today and he said he was going to take the instrument cluster out. Here's what the service note says: "R&R Instrument cluster to foam"ed" and secured air tubes 550994 2.0 T1 91 T243" And it appears they used one "Noise Kit part # 08231-00801".

It does seem to have made a big difference - we'll see if the creaking stays away. Might still have an occasional creak on the other side of the dash.

I will try and remember to update in a month or so.

The tech and I had a discussion about the GS body and he said it is the most flexible of the Lexus line that results in the creaks. That would have been my guess - kind of like my '95 vette (not near as creaky though. Interesting that the coolest, and in my mind best Lexus, is argueably the least refined?
Old 08-13-03, 10:00 AM
starbuck
Driver School Candidate

I've had the same problem intermittently with my 2001 GS430. On mine, the problem is the fit between a couple of the dash pieces immediately to the right of the steering wheel. The dealer tried to fix it but it kept coming back. I finally hit on the same matchbook cover idea and jammed a couple of small pieces in between the offending dash pieces & (knock on wood) so far the problem is solved.

The last squeek I can't seem to get rid of is the inside cover to the sunroof. If it's not completely closed and tight, it squeeks over every bump.
Old 08-13-03, 11:39 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by starbuck
I've had the same problem intermittently with my 2001 GS430. On mine, the problem is the fit between a couple of the dash pieces immediately to the right of the steering wheel. The dealer tried to fix it but it kept coming back. I finally hit on the same matchbook cover idea and jammed a couple of small pieces in between the offending dash pieces & (knock on wood) so far the problem is solved.

The last squeek I can't seem to get rid of is the inside cover to the sunroof. If it's not completely closed and tight, it squeeks over every bump.
Do a few searches in the forums there is a FELT fix for the sunroof.
A lot of members were able to fix the sunroof problem by adding some felt or something.
That one should be a breeze.

Quick Reply: Creak in the Dash / Windshield Area