GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 07:11 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts
Default First oil change

I know this is kinda funny, but I drive so little, I'll be doing my first oil change on this car. And for age, not mileage. Bought it last year with a fresh oil change done. Oil in it is still good, but has been in it a year, and maybe more depending on when the prior owner actually did it. I'm fairly certain this car has only seen basic cheap oil services. Judging by the state the car was in when I got it, nothing more than whatever was needed to make it run was ever done.

I've debated whether or not it is worth putting synthetic in it. I prefer to run synthetic in my cars, but at this point, does it really even make sense? It has 155,000 miles and like I said, probably never had a synthetic oil change. I have a slight lifter tick on cold startups that goes away pretty quickly. I don't know if synthetic oil would help or hurt that.. and at what point are people using high millage oils? Or is that a no-no in the 2jz world? I know synthetic is better and holds up longer etc.

Kinda wondering what oil to use at the miles it has, and if it's time to up the viscosity. Especially since summer is about to hit here in southern Cali. Temps are just now on the rise.
I'm not particular to a brand. But Mobil1 has been my go to on my vette and several other cars. I guess one of my bigger concerns is that the newer oils and fuels of today lack what older engines need. The 2jz is kind of and older engine now. Are there certain additives needed to keep the valve train lubricated properly? Or is it fine with whatever?

Old 03-19-19, 08:07 AM
j3rf
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

My GS430 has 177,000 on it and I went with Mobil1 5W30 and an OEM Toyota filter. Mine uses no or very little oil over the life of the oil change though.
Old 03-19-19, 04:39 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I have a '99 GS400 with 233,000 miles and I've used Pennzoil Synthetic 5W30 since 100,000 miles. Mostly because of the change interval though. I only change it once a year now because I'm closer to work. I think it's personal preference really. These cars seem to run forever no matter why type of oil you use as long as you keep an eye on it (make sure it's now low between changes).
Old 03-19-19, 05:19 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Ok so still running fine on 5w30 at high miles. Thats good. Wasn't sure if guys were moving up to 10w30 or 40 on these engines. What I'm planing to do is run full synthetic 5w30 and a adative called Liqui-Moly that I've had good experiences with. Picked up an 06 530i for my girl and it had lifter tick pretty bad on cold starts and was there most of the time. After researching and giving it a try, it worked wonders. Quieted down substantially, and by the next oil change with another one added, it has disappeared entirely. I think I'll give it a try on this car and see if it works again for it.
Old 03-20-19, 12:24 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

you bought the car and drove it for a year without a oil change?

thats a huge red flag, you should always change the oil regardless of what the owner says. for all you know, he could have never changed it and just said he did.
The following users liked this post:
Mitho1991 (06-25-23)
Old 03-20-19, 05:24 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
you bought the car and drove it for a year without a oil change?

thats a huge red flag, you should always change the oil regardless of what the owner says. for all you know, he could have never changed it and just said he did.
The oil in it is still clean and lubricity is good. I'm a professional tech and it's my job to know when a fluid is good or bad. I can tell I'm changing it well before it actually needs it. It's just time to do it in my opinion.
Old 06-11-21, 12:11 AM
Lexcel
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that say synthetic blend oil is overrated and not worth it, it's hard to find anything else besides that and full synthetic. Syn blends are supposed to be the best benefits of conventional oil with synthetics added for performance and refinement so that's supposed to be an improvement over conventional oil according to all the big oil makers. That said, I've never had any problems using conventional oil in all my cars and the engines run fine well over the 200,000 mile mark. The important thing is regular oil changes and maintenance. I don't redline my vehicles either. I'm being forced to use synthetic blends now because that's what's available but note that conventional oil meets most OEM my 2007 RX350, but it probably is better to use synthetic blends or synthetic. Just don't fall for the hype about extending your oil change intervals. Stick to what the manufacturer recommends, I always do 5,000 miles. Extending out your oil changes just because of synthetic is counterproductive, the idea is synthetics is supposed to lube better and reduce wear so why push it by going extra long. Just my two cents, of course.
Old 06-24-23, 06:05 PM
Gstaad
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexcel
For those that say synthetic blend oil is overrated and not worth it, it's hard to find anything else besides that and full synthetic. Syn blends are supposed to be the best benefits of conventional oil with synthetics added for performance and refinement so that's supposed to be an improvement over conventional oil according to all the big oil makers. That said, I've never had any problems using conventional oil in all my cars and the engines run fine well over the 200,000 mile mark. The important thing is regular oil changes and maintenance. I don't redline my vehicles either. I'm being forced to use synthetic blends now because that's what's available but note that conventional oil meets most OEM my 2007 RX350, but it probably is better to use synthetic blends or synthetic. Just don't fall for the hype about extending your oil change intervals. Stick to what the manufacturer recommends, I always do 5,000 miles. Extending out your oil changes just because of synthetic is counterproductive, the idea is synthetics is supposed to lube better and reduce wear so why push it by going extra long. Just my two cents, of course.
I’m a new owner to a 2008 ES 350 178,000 miles. It has had consistent maintenance and runs great! I understand oil changes at 2,500 miles is that not the case in a Lexus?
Old 06-25-23, 01:30 PM
Mitho1991
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
The oil in it is still clean and lubricity is good. I'm a professional tech and it's my job to know when a fluid is good or bad. I can tell I'm changing it well before it actually needs it. It's just time to do it in my opinion.
5000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first
The following users liked this post:
Gstaad (06-25-23)