GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Vibration only when shifted to drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 02:45 PM
DanGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration only when shifted to drive

I have an issue, I have a gs430 2001, and it runs great and no issues besides it vibrating when I put it in drive. If I put it in reverse or park it stops, as soon as I put it in drive the car vibrates, almost as if someone with alot of bass was parked next to me. What should I check? Motor mounts? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-19, 04:24 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Motor and trans mount solved my problem. Went back to like the car wasn’t even running
Old 03-29-19, 04:25 PM
DanGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98
Motor and trans mount solved my problem. Went back to like the car wasn’t even running
Ok thanks.
Old 03-30-19, 05:37 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Very common, motor mount issue. Its the engine mounts that are hydraulic and meant to absorb the vibration. It wouldn't hurt to do your trans mount too probably by age/miles, but its the engine mounts causing the vibrations, not the trans mount. Make sure you purchase hydraulic mounts if you want a quality repair. The price difference isn't much. The fluid filled hydraulic is OEM. I went with the DEA hydraulic ones from RockAuto. Mounts are an easy product to get scammed on on ebay. You cant see a difference when looking at them. I'd buy a name brand from a reputable source.

I did mine recently and I assure you, its not an easy job. Not only does the engine have to be raise up until the transmission is against the tunnel and cannot move any more, but the sub-frame has to be dropped down as well and pried down past where it wants to hang to get the mounts out. The oil filter must be removed as it is over the drivers side mount nut. And theoretically, you must align the vehicle after moving a sub-frame. I just did this job at my shop on a lift with pole jacks and everything as ideal as you could ask for. Absolute mother .. of a job. On the drivers side, if you wanted to remove the mounts bracket, you'd have to pull the engine oil filter "housing" which I was not prepared for with a new gasket, so I did not pull it. And on the passengers side, the bracket is covered by the exhaust. So I left both brackets in place and had no choice but to get the engine and sub-frame far enough away from each other to get the mounts out/in. Just some info for those considering doing this.
Old 03-30-19, 05:40 AM
DanGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Very common, motor mount issue. Its the engine mounts that are hydraulic and meant to absorb the vibration. It wouldn't hurt to do your trans mount too probably by age/miles, but its the engine mounts causing the vibrations, not the trans mount. Make sure you purchase hydraulic mounts if you want a quality repair. The price difference isn't much. The fluid filled hydraulic is OEM. I went with the DEA hydraulic ones from RockAuto. Mounts are an easy product to get scammed on on ebay. You cant see a difference when looking at them. I'd buy a name brand from a reputable source.

I did mine recently and I assure you, its not an easy job. Not only does the engine have to be raise up until the transmission is against the tunnel and cannot move any more, but the sub-frame has to be dropped down as well and pried down past where it wants to hang to get the mounts out. The oil filter must be removed as it is over the drivers side mount nut. And theoretically, you must align the vehicle after moving a sub-frame. I just did this job at my shop on a lift with pole jacks and everything as ideal as you could ask for. Absolute mother .. of a job. On the drivers side, if you wanted to remove the mounts bracket, you'd have to pull the engine oil filter "housing" which I was not prepared for with a new gasket, so I did not pull it. And on the passengers side, the bracket is covered by the exhaust. So I left both brackets in place and had no choice but to get the engine and sub-frame far enough away from each other to get the mounts out/in. Just some info for those considering doing this.
Thanks! I bought mounts yesterday so I'll be tackling this soon. I appreciate the advice.
Old 03-30-19, 10:14 AM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

That's the problem since the early 2000 model vehicles... they assemble the engine on the frame/cross-member, then install the entire engine/frame/suspension as a unit... yet no one thinks about long-term (20-30yr) maintenance. GM is awful, Toyota is darned good, yet I'm surprised Lexus didn't figure out a way to do this, without this much of a mess.