GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

swap 99 GS400 for 2k 740i Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-03, 02:43 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned a '99 BMW 528i, and I think that Lexus rides smoother and feels better at the wheel then a BMW, I've drivien a '03 BMW 745i, and it feels the same as a 528i, I do like how the '03 745i looks but I would never go from a Lexus to a Bimmer, I think once you go Lexus, everything else is just junk IMO.
Old 08-07-03, 03:56 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do it in a hearbeat. The 740i sport is a very rare car - most were the 740iL and that is an old man's car. The 740i is not IMHO.

I would also be interested in how the two cars do off the line - I know the 740i sport had a different rear end and torque converter -so I would expect it to be snappier than the GS -at least off the line.

I think you would love it.
Old 08-07-03, 03:59 PM
LexFather

Yeah, I may also do the swap if maintenance was not a concern. Those are rare beasts. Slap the 18" parallel spokes and what a sweet car!

Old 08-07-03, 06:56 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Pretty sure the sport has something like a 3.15 rear end while the stock 740 is around 2.95. both are high six second 0-60 cars which means a pretty interesting time against an LS. The GS4 would have to be sick (either car or driver) to let a 740 by. But if you gotta have it, go for it. But when that new LS comes out, stay away from them unless you really like looking at Lexus tail lights.
Old 08-07-03, 08:41 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Default once again CL comes through!

Hey boyz:

Firstly, thanks as always for your great input.

Secondly, I want to give CL big ups once again for being a very cool place to discuss cars. Why?

If I had asked this question on bimmer.roadfly or mbworld I would have gotten several juvenile responses (by people who aren't juvenile in terms of their ages! ;-) about how could I even think about Lexus blahblahblah. But you guys are magnanimous enough to seriously consider pros and cons and even suggest the 7 over the GS4. I really appreciate you guys.

And I guess that says a lot about the insecurity of MB and BMW owners eh?

Well, truth is, I'm more confoozed than ever right now. And the predominant emotion I have about the 7 is *fear*. There are some truly horrific horror stories about 7's in terms of problems after warranty and costs of regular service (which I'd try to do myself and with a non-dealer mechanic). I can't really afford to pay for a bunch of problems with my summer car. As it is I have to spring for a new winter beater since my 92 MaxSE has officially died (two days ago!). In its time that was a damn kkkooollll car man...........

As far as the styling going out of date, yeah, it's already out of date. But it's classic stuff man. My Dad preserved an old Merc from 77 (280E sedan) and that thing gets looks like you wouldn't believe because it's so classic. My guess is the 95-01 E38 will be hailed as one of the last truly "BMW" looking BMW's. And the Sport is just sooo sweeeeet.

But the GS4 is sweeeeet too, I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.

The old man thing is a bit of a factor I have to admit. Mainly will females think I'm over 35 cuz I'm driving a 7 (BTW I'm not!).

Truth is, I wish I could have both!

I know, I know, I'm rambling.

Right now my decision will be to not decide. I'll first see how much my beater sets me back, then I think I'll see what kind of a deal I can rustle up during the winter (best time to scout a used car). If the deal is there, then I'll have to make a decision. And by that time the new 745 will have beaten down even more depreciation into the venerable old E38 so the deal might be even better.

But I can't say even if I find a great deal (low km 2k 740 Sport) that I'll do it. I'll have to figure it out at that point.

Thanks again, keep the feedback coming if you have any other observations.

BTW, wilassassin, I'm pulling for you that you are able to land the 745 next year. May we all be so fortunate in life that we're able to get the things we really want. And GS4fun I'll try and attach a pic of the 750iL which is a formidable automobile and is what the 740 looks like effectively (just a bit longer wheelbase). Talk about being afraid, I'm afraid of the 750iL I tell ya whut!!!

Thanks again,

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Attached Thumbnails swap 99 GS400 for 2k 740i Sport?-750il.jpg  
Old 08-07-03, 09:07 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

I have an E39 528i and also a more current Aristo V300. In terms of performance, comfort, ease of use, and size, the 528i lost by quite a wide margin to the Aristo. This is of course quite an unfair comparison since the V300 is pushing well over the under-stated 276hp while the 528i is huffin' and puffin' way behind with its 195hp. I also don't like how the E39 seats feel under my butt compared to the Aristo. But this is unfair comparison: My V300 doesn't exist in the US.

While the E39 feels constrained and the hide tough to feel, the Aristo feels roomy, luxurious and spacey to me. Sure, the Aristo suspension is crap and the brakes are just as bad. They pale in comparison to any Bimmer, but since many of us buy this cars to be modded anyway, I don't think this is such a big issue. A couple of swaybars, a nice set of shocks/springs, upgrade your rotors and brakepads, and your Aristo will be much much better in handling and confidence than the Bimmer in stock form will ever be able to match. Of course, this is again semi-unfair cause we are comparing stock suspension (free) vs a semi-heavily modified suspension (not so free).

Now, looks wise is very subjective. My parents/friends have always told me that while the Aristo is elegant and classy, it does seem to be a little on the feminine side with its graceful sloping lines and rounded body. The bimmer on the other hand is always in your face. Perfectly round quad projector headlights, double chrome kidney grills, sharp body lines, massive doors, and a wide stance is the all around masculine package that you will get with most any german cars, especially the BMW. Now, I am not sure if that's what you are going for, but personally I find the Aristo is easier on the eyes.

Hope I've helped.

Old 08-08-03, 05:04 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

darkhorse

be prepared to buy stock in bmw na ,, also you will have a big let down with bmw attitude towards customer satisfaction when it comes to svc as compared to the pampering(most of the time at most stealerships)

lexciting is right "lots of elctronic gremlins" even if it still has warr whats the point of having a nice ride when it will spend most of the time in the shop whether its out of your pocket or warr work if that is not a concern get the 2000+ xjr supercharged jag , it will blow thw doors off of most cars out here , more prestige then the bmw and as mentioned supercar perf (i know i drove one for a day and was hard to give it back)

i have had 3 bmws in my time and got tired of the high constant maintenance thats how i ended up with lex products

truthfully regardless of what the other cars look like or drive like , i would never trade my peace of mind (everyday) for "allright what sensor is going to get tripped or what snext everytime i put the key in the ignition"

good luck with your choice
Old 08-08-03, 06:09 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Yes darkhorse, and remember, advice against buying a BMW that comes from a guy with a tag name lexforlife might be slightly biased.

Old 08-08-03, 06:18 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by doug_999
Yes darkhorse, and remember, advice against buying a BMW that comes from a guy with a tag name lexforlife might be slightly biased.

Well, in lexforlife's defense, he does say that he's had 3 BMW's in the past. His user name could easily be "NoMoreBMWsForMe".

I'd say his opinion is anything but biased, but that's just my take...
Old 08-08-03, 07:13 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

doug

its amazing to me how simple advice or suggestion can get twisted and possibly misunderstood

my opinions is just that an opinion based on personal exp having had both types of cars from bmw to mercedes to acuras to etc etc

so as to say biased ,, not by a long shot

we are here to help not fight
Old 08-08-03, 07:23 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: swap 99 GS400 for 2k 740i Sport?

Originally posted by darkhorse
Pros of 740 Sport:

Higher initial cost of car so more snob appeal
Top of the line BMW snob appeal

After reading this, I say get the BMW b/c it sounds like you fit the typical BMW rich, better than everyone else appeal (not saying all BMW owners are like this). I may only be speaking for myself (I doubt it though) but most of the people on this board didn't buy their Lexus (and whatever other cars they have) so people will view them as rich and snobby. Sorry, but this just kinda pisses me off. Anyways, it sounds liek you are the perfect BMW owner. Have fun sitting in the shop.
Old 08-08-03, 07:44 AM
BLW
Driver

Default Hard Choice

Originally posted by doug_999
I would do it in a hearbeat. The 740i sport is a very rare car - most were the 740iL and that is an old man's car. The 740i is not IMHO.

I would also be interested in how the two cars do off the line - I know the 740i sport had a different rear end and torque converter -so I would expect it to be snappier than the GS -at least off the line.

I think you would love it.
I drove a '01 740i Sport for several months as a company car and picked it up new from the dealer.The color was Anthracite and I thought the best color on the road! I didn't feel it was an Old Man's Car, But I am probably an old man compared to you. The GS is a snappier beast concerning speed than the Sport 7 BMW. In a drag race the GS wins! Now take the BMW on a road course and it owns the GS. The 740i Sport handles like it is on rails and rides nice and smooth and planted the whole time. This car is very confident in cornering and passes that back to the driver. I would give braking to the 740i as well.

Lets face it, BMW has reliability concerns compared to the Lexus , but is a better drivers car out of the box (from the manufacturer: GS400 vs 740i Sport). You can add additional mods to the BMW to bring up its speed , but they will cost you!

You can see what I drive and the decision I made. One of these days I will try to improve the handling characteristics of my GS to approach the BMW's ability. But for now my money is better spent in other areas of my life.

It's a very tough choice! Good Luck!!!
Old 08-08-03, 09:35 AM
1990Lex400
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm the dude who was looking a the A8. I also looked at the 740i sport but stopped looking mostly because of the lack of AWD. It's a sweet car and to be honest it's got baller appeal but you have to figure in the cost of repairs. My friend works on those cars and I hear of some silly stuff that breaks and how much it costs to fix them. Honestly don't expect too much of the car past 80k miles...if that.

Recently I've been having to fix my 1990 lexus and I realize now that I would go crazy if I had to do this on a regular basis. Reliability has now become a bigger priority for me.

So basically:

go with the 740i sport IF YOU HAVE SPARE CHANGE TO FIX IT...and if it's not a primary vehicle

go with the gs400 (which also has baller appeal) and it will last you many quality years.
Old 08-08-03, 10:38 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

A word of caution, if the miles on the car exceeds 30K, I WOULD NOT GET IT.
If you notice, people start selling their cars before 60K mark, especially with high end cars.
Why? Because the 60K service is one of the MOST important, AND EXPENSIVE things you
HAVE to do. Remember BMWs are notorious for high prices with service. IMHO

Good Luck
Old 08-08-03, 10:40 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexforlife
doug

its amazing to me how simple advice or suggestion can get twisted and possibly misunderstood

my opinions is just that an opinion based on personal exp having had both types of cars from bmw to mercedes to acuras to etc etc

so as to say biased ,, not by a long shot

we are here to help not fight
Actually, I was just trying to point out that most of the opinions given on this board will be for the GS (as it is clublexus!)- whereas if he did post this on bimmer.org, most people would say BMW. Just used you as an example - didn't mean it personally - thus the simley face at then end. I didn't mean to single you out - sorry.

Doug

Quick Reply: swap 99 GS400 for 2k 740i Sport?