GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

swap 99 GS400 for 2k 740i Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-03, 11:03 PM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no problemo

Hey Ron430/lexforlife:

First off no problemo with taking the thread anywhere you want it to go, I already got some excellent feedback and like you all I made the right decision for myself.

On your latest bmw comments, as I said before, something is very ordinary about the 5 now (and even the new E's, sorry I know some o' y'all like the E500 but I think it looks like a 1.5 gen GS, too little too late).

You're points are noted regarding my Dad and the snob appeal thing. I admit the Dad influence, but usually family do influence decisions but I think I escaped the pressure there. As far as the snob thing, well, it does matter at least a little bit that they regard your car well. If that wasn't the case we'd be modding WRX's and not GS's and 7's. That said, I didn't care *enough* about my peer pressure to stay away from the GS in the first place.

Anyway, getting back to styling, ya know, a lot of folks are trying to catch up with the GS styling (notably the latest Max and the G35coupe) but it still stands WAY out.

I was pulling out of a movie complex tonight and the darkhorse once again got all the looks and I'm telling you asides from the chrome 18's on it (oh they are sweeeeet) it is all stock exterior. (Plan on changing the grille soon but that's all. I ain't gonna do the front or side skirts, we have way too many high driveway lips and it would get busted in the first couple of days for sure.)

I would NEVER get those looks with the 5. NEVER! I might get some looks with a 7 but I still think younger chicks are assuming you're over 35 if you're driving it. I asked at least 8 in the past week and they do think a younger guy should be driving an IS/3series and maybe a GS if they're ballin' . Not a 7.

Sometimes I'm amazed that the 2nd gen came out a whole 5 (!!!) years ago and it still looks ahead of its time.

The past few days I've had a couple of guys in 911's and a 328 (or 308?) Ferrari admiring her. That's saying something to me!

I'm really happy I bought the car once again, 2.5 years later, sorta like a new beginning, and I've tuned out all the doubters, haters, and naysayers. I think they were actually trying to bring my game down a notch by separating me from my baby, yaknowhuti'msayin'?

BTW, a GS4 is a pure chick magnet and hater repellant. I'm sure everyone here has experienced this!

BTW, I ain't kidding, just laffin'!

BTW2, everyone's advice was totally on point and much appreciated. Sorry about my ruffled feathers, I'm usually having to increase the peace within myself..................

Thanks again to all, I'll drop in again in a bit, planning some new exhaust moves soon now that I'm planning to stick with her for 3 more years minimum.

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 08-10-03, 06:23 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

darkhorse , you go boy
Old 08-10-03, 12:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

darkhorse - Absolutely no problem. But before we let it go, I have no problem with someone buying a bimmer or merc for snob appeal. With the amount of bucks you are laying out, and obviously Lexus fits here as well, you should get some. Mom likes the Lexus a lot but the bimmers said I had arrived. I am not saying anyone here has done it, but my only problem is actually those who don't admit it in their purchase decision. Unfortunately, the snob appeal does wear off and there are just as many people that immediately assume you are a pretentious jerk (that will make it through the mods but I am sure their true opinion wouldn't) owning one of those cars unless you are 60+ (let's the M's out).

lexforlife - From the August 6 issue of Autocar:

"Early depreciation hits BMW-7 series

Current 7-series owners look like being in for a nasty shock if they unload their cars too early.

Reader Andy Gilbert bought his 745Li back in February for 73,500 pounds (approximately $117,600). Six months and 5000 miles later, and the same dealer has offered him just 42,000 pounds (approximately $67,200) for it - an eye watering 6.30 pounds (approximately $10) per mile in depreciation.

Fact is that the new 7-series is proving hard for salesman to shift on used forecourts, but ti does spell bargains for used buyers. Most main dealers now have several nearly new Sevens lingering on the forecourt. Most are stickered up over the odds, but you can chisel them down. Expect to pay 45,000 pounds (approximately $72,000) for an 02 plate 745i."

So what's worse, losing 43% to depreciation in six months on a new seven or wondering exactly why there are so many new ones on the used lot (forecourt)? We all know cars lose a lot just driving them off the lot but bimmer can cover Bangle only so long by making deals to move cars, but the used market may be a different story. I knew that bimmer was making a lot of really good deals to move them but it is going to come back and haunt them in resale. And no, the article didn't say why the guy wanted to unload his six month old 745Li. But if you find it is your ideal, you should be able to pick up a used one very cheap. Just don't think it is a good deal.

Interestingly enough the same issue has an article on Bangle that actually comes off quite flattering but they say that designers are most displeased with the new 5. I though the 5 was going to look better than the 7 but evidently that is not the case in the flesh. At the club where I work out there is a couple where the guy owns an S 2000 and the gal owns a Z4. I have to say, the proportions and design on the Honda are much, much better than the Zorro 4. That S 2000 is one attractive two seater. Times they are a changin'.
Old 08-10-03, 01:07 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

ron , again amen bro amen , question though , has class been dismissed i cant handle anymore facts and figures you are imparting to me

great write again
Old 08-10-03, 07:39 PM
gr8330
Rookie

A lot of good opinions given... let me add my .02

I'm on my third BMW and my wife is on her second Lexus. When we want to have fun we drive the BMW and when we want comfort and luxury, with a little less of a sporting feel we drive her 300. I think both cars are great and my BMWs have been almost as trouble free as the lex's.
Old 08-10-03, 07:50 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

gr8330
Thanks for the feedback. Getting a little tired of hearing RON430 and lexforlife back slapping each other.

Doug

PS - Ron, where do you live? The UK or the US? Just curious.
Old 08-10-03, 08:09 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

doug

no back slapping here bro

just info
Old 08-11-03, 01:59 AM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug, on the left side it says Ron430 - Location: California
Old 08-11-03, 07:20 AM
LexFather

as far as jag is concerned a xjr supercharged v8 will top just about all sedans out today excluding m5 2k + edit and e55 mercedes (had the thrill of driving one of those for a day)
XKR is a low 5 sec car. Sedans stock that will beat it.
C32 Benz
E55 Benz
S600 Benz
S 55 Benz
M5
S4
Evo
WRX Sti
Audi RS 6
Volvo S60R is close

Old 08-11-03, 11:06 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Wide LS
What he said. Sorry to disappoint you Doug for the backslapping but I have spent a lot of time in Europe and I like to get other perspectives on things. You will rarely see a negative printed in the automotive press here on any make. The British are comfortable with doing that, even when it means things unflattering about bimmers. Of course I doubt there is any American car they would seriously consider for anything. Then again, they still seem to think Jaguar is a player.
Old 08-11-03, 11:10 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
C32 Benz
E55 Benz
S600 Benz
S 55 Benz
M5
S4
Evo
WRX Sti
Audi RS 6
Volvo S60R is close
And I hate to bring it up but be ready to acknowledge that the CTS V as a four second sedan and I am pretty sure, quicker than the entire list. Horsepower wars, you gotta love it. If nothing else than for the advertising value.
Old 08-11-03, 04:09 PM
Wide LS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
C32 Benz
E55 Benz
S600 Benz
S 55 Benz
M5
S4
Evo
WRX Sti
Audi RS 6
Volvo S60R is close

Yet another car not added to that list is the Jaguar S Type R V8 Supercharged 4.2 Liter with 390 hp, 0-60 in under 5.2 seconds
Old 08-12-03, 03:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Wide LS
Yea, I know - I'm just giving him crap for posting an article about depreciation of the 7-series in GB which I don't believe is relevant to our depreciation rates here in the states.

Plus, if I didn't give him crap about something, he would think I was mad at him ...and vice versa, right Ron?
Old 08-12-03, 03:51 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

How could I ever think that Doug? And of course you are absolutely right that the seven will doubtless set new standards for residual value here in the states. I was all set to fire off a nasty letter to the editors of Autocar when the Burning Block appeared and told me not to worry. The bimmerians full well realize how much more successful marketing is in the states than the UK.

Now the fact that that new CTS V is reportedly faster than either the M3 or the current M5 with a good ol' pushrod engine was another story altogether. Seems I came very close to incuring the wrath of the Burning Block with that one. Fortunately he was a quart low and the vision ceased before the bimmerians could top him off.
Old 08-12-03, 07:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

ahhh the CTS V - most cool car. But I dunno, put that big old pushrod engine in a little car like that... I'm sort of wondering what kind of handling magic the GM engineers have worked on that chassis.

Remember Ron, it is about balance.

Now, if you are really interested in a car that depreciates fast, I'll tell you the story of a guy who leased at 2003 GS430 and tried to get out of it only to find out what true depreciation is.....

Quick Reply: swap 99 GS400 for 2k 740i Sport?