GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

swap 99 GS400 for 2k 740i Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 03:42 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Yea, I know - I'm just giving him crap for posting an article about depreciation of the 7-series in GB which I don't believe is relevant to our depreciation rates here in the states."

Maybe not, but i have seen some 2002 745's stickering at $55,000 with room to move, on a car that what, stickers new at 70k+?
Old 08-13-03, 08:46 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad previously owned a 750il Protection and currently drives an 2001 M5 and a new 745i.

Let me tell you this: To own a high end BMW, be ready to have lots of $$$$$$ to shell out for extraneous repairs and maintainence expenses. His BMW's have had all sorts of problems ranging from strange rattles to the stereo system...

According to my local BMW dealership service rep, a typical NEW 7 series buyer (in my area) has an annual household income of $500,000+. So maintaining a 7 series is not a problem for most of those people.

Many "yuppies" and "snobs" who pick up used 7 series cars are the ones who run into trouble. The service rep claims he often encounters customers having emotional breakdowns and tirades of anger in his customer service center about the unreal expenses for dealership services.

My dad himself has had enough of the "BMW ownership experience". His company does business with Toyota Motor Corp. and he has seen how precisely and meticuloulsly the cars are assembled and designed from start to finish.

By next summer he plans to trade the M5 for a either an LS430 or GS430 and in 2005 or 2006 the 745i for an RX330 hybrid.

My advice: Keep the GS400 You'll be much happier in the long run!
Old 08-13-03, 09:39 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jpa2400
"Yea, I know - I'm just giving him crap for posting an article about depreciation of the 7-series in GB which I don't believe is relevant to our depreciation rates here in the states."

Maybe not, but i have seen some 2002 745's stickering at $55,000 with room to move, on a car that what, stickers new at 70k+?
If you figure the car stickered for $75, then that is about 73% of value after one year.

Now, take a GS430 that stickered for $56K in 2002, they go for about $42K right now. That's 75% of value after one year. Not much better.

My point of course is that luxury cars depreciate something fierce in the first year and that 745s here have not depreciated 50% like they supposedly have done overseas.

I should also mention that the CTS-V has a 52/48 weight distribution which actually is pretty darn good for a car with a big engine like that.
Old 08-13-03, 11:05 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by doug_999
ahhh the CTS V - most cool car. But I dunno, put that big old pushrod engine in a little car like that... I'm sort of wondering what kind of handling magic the GM engineers have worked on that chassis.

Remember Ron, it is about balance.

Now, if you are really interested in a car that depreciates fast, I'll tell you the story of a guy who leased at 2003 GS430 and tried to get out of it only to find out what true depreciation is.....

Wouldn't count too much on that balance thing until the CTS V arrives. I know as a good bimmerian that any mention of the fact that it will probably be 30K less than the new M5 and getting a few more ponies out of that engine will be a lot cheaper and easier than any bimmer (and actually probably Lex for that matter).

Oh, and I checked with the Burning Block and you are right, if you want out of a bimmer lease early, the numbers indicate that you actually get money back.
Old 08-13-03, 11:20 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ron, you might want to read my last post.....
Old 08-13-03, 11:20 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by doug_999
If you figure the car stickered for $75, then that is about 73% of value after one year.

Now, take a GS430 that stickered for $56K in 2002, they go for about $42K right now. That's 75% of value after one year. Not much better.

My point of course is that luxury cars depreciate something fierce in the first year and that 745s here have not depreciated 50% like they supposedly have done overseas.

I should also mention that the CTS-V has a 52/48 weight distribution which actually is pretty darn good for a car with a big engine like that.
Not sure exactly what planet these numbers are from and while not as stiff as in the UK, I checked with my friend who has a 745i (not an L) with the sport package and a few more inevitable bimmer options and his stickered at right around $86K. I think C&D did a comparo review this month and the 745 they had stickered at $88K. The guy in the UK didn't have his a year but six months (yeah, I know the biggest hit is driving it off the lot but bimmer resale has not been this bad, and never as good as merc). So if we throw out tax and license, and you spent say $87K on one and lose 43% in the first six months, your shiny bangle ,er, bauble, is now going to be worth right around 50K. 37K in depreciation for the privilege of learning i drive and getting on a first name basis with the service department, sounds like a deal to me. When you pull up to those gas pumps and get out there, you know those admiring, envious looks are coming from people who realize they are in the presence of a real automotive aficionado for whom blowing through over $200 per day, $1423 per week, $6,166 per month of depreciation is well worth it to experience the ultimate ownership experience.

Another relatively harmless thread hijacked for bimmer bashing. Seems like we should put this one to rest and just wait for the next "I wanna bimmer/merc and all the bimmer/merc boards don't give good opinions so I want to see how much Lexus owners envy bimmer/mercs" thread begins. Can't be that long.
Old 08-13-03, 11:26 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jpa2400

Hey, let's say you could get it for 50K. Let's also say it was more like 85K new. That's 58% or a drop of 42%. My gosh Doug, you are right. Depreciation on the seven in the states is no where near as steep as in the UK where the guy lost 43% in the first six months. Whew, do I feel better.
Old 08-13-03, 01:31 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ron,
Have you been drinking again at work? You know they don't like it when you do that.

Old 08-13-03, 01:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Nah, I quit needing a drink at work when I got rid of the last bimmer.
Old 08-14-03, 06:17 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

hey ron , so that was you at the AAA meetings that i used to attend when i had my bimmers .. i am now finished with therapy as well
Old 08-14-03, 12:58 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Just wait till the Burning Block gets hold of the latest Consumer's Report with the lux Sport Ute comparo. Won't be happiness in bimmeria. 5W60 on the rocks with a twist for everyone.

Last edited by RON430; 08-14-03 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-14-03, 01:03 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

ahhh a consumer reports junkie. This explains a lot about you Ron. I understand completely now.
Old 08-14-03, 01:50 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

To be completely understood by one who believes bimmer uber alles is my true goal in life Doug. I don't find CR to be particularly insightful on autos but let me give you a free bit of advice, ignore CR at your own peril, a lot of people don't and it does affect such things as resale - sometimes big time. But as long as you are soooooooooooooo interested, let's see what CR has to say about the X5 3.0i:

"Overall the X5 3.0i is a very good vehicle, with agile handling, precise steering, impressive drivetrain, and a comfortable interior. But it is marred by poor emergency handling at its limits. The X5 posted the fastest time through our avoidance maneuver, but it also had moderate two wheel tip-ups on two runs despite its standard stability control. Any instance of vehicle tip-up is a concern. For that reason we rated its emergency handling poor.

The X5 is further compromised by below-average reliability and a choppy ride. There are better choices.

The X5's ride can feel nervous and jerky. Highway speeds, and a full load improve it slightly. The engine sound is pronounced, although road noise is well suppressed.

The responsive 225 hp, 3.0 liter inline six cylinder engine performs well. Expect 17 mpg in mixed driving on premium fuel. It pulled our 3,500 pound test trailer to 60 mph in 18 seconds. The five speed automatic is responsve and shifts smoothly. Braking performance was excellent.

In routing handling, the X5 3.0i is agile. Steering is quick and precise, but heavy during parking. On our handling course, the vehicle felt stable and secure, with balanced behavior at its handling limits thanks in part ot its stability-control system.

In our standard avoidance maneuver, the X5 3.0i felt confident up to a point, achieving a higher speed than any of hte other vehicles in this group. But when it reached its handling limits on one run, it lifted both right side wheels off the ground to a moderate height rather than sliding or skidding, which is what most vehicles do.

We then fitted the vehicle with outriggers and continued testing. It lifted two wheels again on another run. Despite its nimble performance at lower speeds, the vehicle's tip-up at its handling is unpredictable."

Oh, Doug, we all hope you can get enough money together to get out of that Lexus lease, any progress? And when you do, there should be a good number of used X5's for sale on the used market. Try and get one of the ones that is bimmer certified that had the roof rack removed for aerodynamic purposes after the roll over. After all, CR rigli, rigli liked the X5 3.0i and that agile handling. Right up to the point that it was ready fall over on its roof. Maybe outriggers will become standard on all bimmer road tests, just think of the slalom times they could post. Next time the Burning Block appears I'll try and find out for you if training wheels will be a new option on bimmers. It was also nice to see that bimmer has kept that CR reliability consistent with yet another black meatball.
Old 08-14-03, 02:41 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Wow Ron, thanks - the updated X5 was on my list as you know and now you have saved me. BTW, C&D had the same thing happen to them and if you READ the article closely in CR, they do mention that the X5 would have scored significantly better had the wheels not lifted.

That said, if you really want to play the CR game, what is their top rated car of all time?
Old 08-14-03, 02:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Guys enough off topic please. As you can see from Paul's post way way above he's resolved the issue that this post was originally about, so I am closing it.

Originally posted by darkhorse
I made my decision.

I LOVE THE GS. I am not going to part with it. I've got the black interior (without the Nav, I feel that detracts from the driving experience) and the cockpit is just so right there in it, it fits like a glove and drapes all around me. Utterly magnificent. I don't feel that way in the 7. I don't feel as comfortable simply put.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 08-14-03 at 02:54 PM.