GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

know the noise? please help & thank you

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 06:20 PM
JPrince
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default know the noise? please help & thank you

can anybody help me figure out what this noise?

what i needed to do/have done recently. - (the noise happened before and still continued after installation/maintenance. ) one mechanic thought it was my idle pulley... it wasn't.

timing belt, water pump, auto tensioner, serpentine tensioner, serpentine belt, idler 1 and 2, radiator flush. some of this was this was just due and figured i would replace some additional parts along the way.

my initial thought was this sound was from my power steering? what i have done thus far is clean the reservoir tank for p/s fluid thinking that maybe the filters were dirty and clogged. but the noise still happens. is it tranny (drives and shift great, fluid is awesome too) ?

is it power steering - should i do a flush? (one was done about 15k miles ago)

i mainly hear it once i put it in gear and am not moving. no noise when starting car in and left in park. the sound i am referring too happens at 12 seconds. any help would be greatly appreciated.

link to the noise
(the sound i am referring too happens at 12 seconds) its like a low whine or rubbing or something.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BT...od-f1Zr71eonen

99 Lexus gs400

Last edited by JPrince; 05-03-19 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 07:09 PM
sbagdon
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you give us any less to work with...?!

As it appears the idle changes when the noise occurs (correct...?), guessing a/c compressor, or alternator.

If it's also when you put it right in to gear, might also be a pump inside the trans.

Last edited by sbagdon; 05-03-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 07:52 PM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JPrince
can anybody help me figure out what this noise?

what i needed to do/have done recently. - (the noise happened before and still continued after installation/maintenance. )

timing belt, water pump, auto tensioner, serpentine tensioner, serpentine belt, idler 1 and 2, radiator flush. some of this was this was just due and figured i would replace some additional parts along the way.

my initial thought was this sound was from my power steering? what i have done thus far is clean the reservoir tank for p/s fluid thinking that maybe teh filters were dirty and clogged. but the noise still happens. is it tranny (drives and shift great, fluid is awesome too) ?

is it power steering - should i do a flush? (one was done about 15k miles ago)

i mainly hear it once i put it in gear and am not moving. no noise when starting car in and left in park. the sound i am referring too happens at 12 seconds. any help would be greatly appreciated.

link to the noise
(the sound i am referring too happens at 12 seconds) its like a low whine or rubbing or something.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BT...od-f1Zr71eonen

99 Lexus gs400

Twinning!
Old 05-03-19, 09:01 PM
JPrince
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sbagdon
Can you give us any less to work with...?!

As it appears the idle changes when the noise occurs (correct...?), guessing a/c compressor, or alternator.

If it's also when you put it right in to gear, might also be a pump inside the trans.
Thanks for your reply Sorry I'm not sure what other info I could provide. In the video the car is in park around 12 seconds I put it into drive while applying the brakes and there's a low drive noise like a belt or a pump I can't figure out where. it's coming from. No nose changes when I change a/c settings. So I don't think that's it and I rarely have the AC on + been way too cold for that)

What else should I try to include to try and help diagnose?

What pump in the transmission are you referring to? Thanks again for the help. Nice pic 😀 love the rims