GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

need help on purchasing used 98 gs400

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 07:25 AM
vdze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on purchasing used 98 gs400

Hey guys,

new to the forums here,i currently drive a 2001 acura cl type s but going thru 2 transmissions and other minor problems i decided to sell it and get a lexus after driving my uncles 2000 gs400 well my situation is i have about 23-25k to spend the only one i've seen in my price range is a 1998 gold gs400 with about 57,000 miles from a audi/porsche dealer for 23,000 gold is probaly the last color on my list i would get and i also found a 1998 gs400 white which is my first color preference with about 78,000miles for 21,000 the only problem is that the white one is from a car lot that has a bunch of different car manufactuers and im afraid that they might of gotten the gs400 from maybe an auction or one of the something

long story short*
found a gold gs400 in my price range but gold is the bottom of my color list but it comes from a audi/porsche dealer and is probaly a trade in
also a white one from a no name car lot that might of gotten the lexus from auctions etc..
really like the white one but im just unsure of the dealership thats selling it,the gold one i at least know it was probaly a trade in

what are your opinions?thanks in advance
Old 08-15-03, 08:17 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,253 Likes on 1,367 Posts

v -

The price range you quote is in the ballpark. If I were you I'd keep looking and possibly buy from an individual rather than a dealer. Even check Carmax, sometimes they have a good selection of GS's.

I'm personally not a big fan of gold GS's (sorry to those owners) - I have an LS that color that sits outside and it's great for staying clean looking. Just not sporty, though.
Old 08-15-03, 10:07 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought a gold 99gs400 in april. gold was not one of my color choices but the price was good. the color has really grown on me and it gets lots of compliments. it turns out that gold stays clean looking for quite a while. my wife has a 2003 acura tls and they had the lexus at the accura dealer. turned out they bought it from an auction in florida, it had belonged to some executive who drove it on some sort of fleet lease. anyway they trucked it all the way to washington state to the acura dealer where the salesman told me it was a trade in (liar). i recently took car to lexus for oil change and they pulled up the maintenance history and said i needed differential fluid changed along with brake fluid and coolant as these had never been done, $300.00 for all that. i had already changed the transmission fluid, $90.00 for that. the car is at 49k and apparently never got the 30k service. good thing these cars are built so well. anyway i did get new headlights and brakes out of the acura dealer and i like the color now. what a great car! i had a silver 95 v6 xle camry before and really liked that car. then my wife got the accura and i liked the added power and better handling over the camry. this lexus is so much more powefull and i've started doing some suspension mods to make it handle better. i love this car. wife is on lease with accura and hasn't had any problems yet 5600 mile. i think she wants a lexus next. sorry about the rambling, good luck with whatever you get and remember salesmen will lie to you to get a sale. they are after a sale, they are not your best friend like they pretend to be