GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

"Premium" cars dont need premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 04:21 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I have to state this maybe people will call me crazy but
"higher octane does not produce horsepower!"
Nope.....not crazy. What (higher) octane does is allow higher compression ratios and more spark advance without detonation......THAT produces more horsepower, IF the engine was designed for use with the higher octane. Otherwise, the higher octane is wasted.

All that being said, we have knock sensors and an ECU which can adjust timing advance so rapidly that we should never hear the slightest trace of knock, even at WOT. What we also won't have is full power from the engine but that's the whole point of having more computer power runnning our engines than took man to the moon in 1969. A little less power available is a better thing than grenading a motor. (We also as a result get engines with higher specific output than almost anything from the muscle car days, without lumpy idles or surges, and that are so low in emissions output that they can be used as air purifiers in some cities.)

But bitkahuna's point is the most pertinent. If $100/year is a real concern for the owner of ANY Lexus, then they own the wrong car.

But haven't we done this octane/cost thing to death??
Old 08-19-03, 04:29 AM
LexFather

But bitkahuna's point is the most pertinent. If $100/year is a real concern for the owner of ANY Lexus, then they own the wrong car.
Attached Thumbnails "Premium" cars dont need premium gas-wanksta.jpg  
Old 08-19-03, 10:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

for those that think not using premium is ok, do you also think gas station coffee is as good as StarBucks?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 08-19-03 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-19-03, 11:31 AM
gs400Fan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can someone explain the pinging and knocking. I had to put 87 today b/c they ran out of premium. i couldnt go find another gas station cuz i was already running dry.
Old 08-19-03, 12:12 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this link guys http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm/printable.

I don't think the guy who wrote the article know any thing about octane.

Last edited by sung35; 08-19-03 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 12:33 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up I have to go for the Best!

NO way, not EVER, never will again I put 87 in my baby (Sooo sorry Blue)

During the Pre-Iraq War, in Philly, Premium gas went up to nearly $2.00/gal, so I got a "brite idea" to put 87 in my GS, it was just a temporary thing to do until the gas price drop. Boy, was I sorry for putting that crap in my car. After running it off 1/2 tank, I couldn't stand the nocking, pinning coming from the engineen bay, couldn't stand the lost of accelaration, and fear of destroy everything I've been trying to care for my car. I stopped @ the nearest gas station and fill up my baby with 93, and a bottle of fuel-injection cleaner.

Bitkahuna: LMFAO, "gas station coffee and StarBucks!" Remember we drink Wawa coffee here in Philly (Wawa is an equil. of 7/11)

Jtanoyo1: Here we engineers call it GIGO = "Garbage In, Garbage Out" , damn computer bugs
Old 08-19-03, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: I have to go for the Best!

Originally posted by chuckisc
Bitkahuna: LMFAO, "gas station coffee and StarBucks!" Remember we drink Wawa coffee here in Philly (Wawa is an equil. of 7/11)
Oh yeah, I remember Wawa - doesn't matter which convenience store or gas station, coffee in those places is some NAAAASTY stuff. Probably good for cleaning brakes though.
Old 08-19-03, 12:57 PM
gs400Fan
Driver School Candidate

alright, reading it confused me even more. what should i be expected or hearing. from the car?
Old 08-19-03, 01:26 PM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by gs400Fan
alright, reading it confused me even more. what should i be expected or hearing. from the car?
My grandmom used to say (may she rests in peace!) :

"If it goes inside your body, doesn't matter how much it costs" (speaking of foods when someone complains about how expensive the cheese/cold-cut is @ the supermarket)

You want your car running smoothly, no knocking, no pinning, no roughness then put that Premium stuff in the tank, anything else WILL give you the exact opposit of all the "NO's" above.

Last edited by chuckisc; 08-19-03 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-19-03, 01:32 PM
apatel
Pole Position

Originally posted by sung35
Read this link guys http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm/printable.

The article makes sense to me Why is his explanation not right? What am I missing?
Old 08-19-03, 02:25 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I respectfully beg to differ. That article is a fairly good, simple, and concise explanation of octane, though he doesn't go into MON or RON numbers.
Old 08-19-03, 02:51 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna
for those that think not using premium is ok, do you also think gas station coffee is as good as StarBucks?
bad analogy, starbucks is just as terrible as 7-11
Old 08-19-03, 02:55 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SCRUFFDOGG
bad analogy, starbucks is just as terrible as 7-11
I'm not saying Starbucks is the best coffee out there, but I completely disagree with your comment.

Somehow Starbucks is still opening 80 locations a month.
Old 08-19-03, 03:20 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

And I have watched 4 7-11's around here close.
Old 08-19-03, 03:22 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I respectfully beg to differ. That article is a fairly good, simple, and concise explanation of octane, though he doesn't go into MON or RON numbers.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I re-read my post, and boy I was wrong. I was refering to Clark Howard; who wrote the article which stated that "Premium cars don't need premium gas"; as the person who not knowing what he was talking about. I was not refering to the article I provided with the hyperlink. It was my mistake in expressing my view in English, as you might have already aware from my writing.

Hung

Quick Reply: "Premium" cars dont need premium gas