GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AC Blows Cold on Drivers Side & Hot on Pass Side

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-19 | 07:16 PM
Tilksh
Driver School Candidate

Default AC Blows Cold on Drivers Side & Hot on Pass Side

Hi Folks, I have a 2003 GS300 with 117,000 miles. It's a California car. Just yesterday, the AC went on the fritz. I have dual a/c controls. It blows cold air on the driver side but hot air on the passenger side. There is no blinking light on the a/c.

I went to an independent shop today and the owner said he has to evacuate the system to determine where the problem is. Is this correct?
I keep seeing comments about servos and other items. Has anyone else experienced this situation and was there a reasonably priced solution? Also, a lot of times while driving the car, the car will make a loud noise that i think comes from the vents. It sounds like a "BRRRRRRR" for a few seconds and then it goes silent. The car has done this for several years but i am so accustomed to it, I just ignore it. Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-14-19 | 08:05 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Please read the sticky above or research your symptoms. Classic case of ac servo motors.
Old 09-15-19 | 07:40 PM
Tilksh
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
Please read the sticky above or research your symptoms. Classic case of ac servo motors.
Thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 09-17-19 | 05:00 AM
LexusK
Racer

I don't know about you guys, but I can't seem to open up the page for the servo DIY.

I replaced one of my temp servo motors 2-3 years ago and i think it was the one that was the easiest to access. I can't remember which one it was, but I'm thinking it was on the driver side. Fixed my hot/cold air issue.

I've been getting intermittent gear sounds coming from behind the AC/radio unit, but nothing wrong with the temperature. I'm pretty sure now it's the mode servo, but I don't even switch between modes. Why would it even be making noises?

Last edited by LexusK; 09-17-19 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-17-19 | 10:47 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by LexusK
I don't know about you guys, but I can't seem to open up the page for the servo DIY.

I replaced one of my temp servo motors 2-3 years ago and i think it was the one that was the easiest to access. I can't remember which one it was, but I'm thinking it was on the driver side. Fixed my hot/cold air issue.

I've been getting intermittent gear sounds coming from behind the AC/radio unit, but nothing wrong with the temperature. I'm pretty sure now it's the mode servo, but I don't even switch between modes. Why would it even be making noises?
That thread is gone. The OP was banned from the site. Afterwards, he demanded that CL remove all of his DYIs. He won in the long run because that was a helpful sticky.
The following users liked this post:
Tilksh (09-17-19)
Old 09-17-19 | 01:57 PM
Tilksh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I could never figure out what that annoying noise was until reading the forum. I know what my weekend project is good to be. I’m really happy to know that it’s not a compressor problem.
Old 11-01-19 | 05:11 PM
tyl604
Driver School Candidate

I have the hot and cold problem too. Any chance someone else has written up a fix?
Old 11-03-19 | 09:32 AM
Tilksh
Driver School Candidate

I ended up replacing the servos on both sides. No more noises and no more problems.
Old 11-04-19 | 05:21 AM
tyl604
Driver School Candidate

Will look into it; thanks.

Maybe youtube has something showing how to replace the servos.
Old 12-29-20 | 10:42 AM
lisajoon
Driver School Candidate

Default Same Problem. Did you fix it?

I have the exact same problem. Did you ever find out what it was? The driver side A/C works normally, but the passenger side only blows freezing cold air. I have tried removing dual-AC and all of that. And every time I start the car, it makes a buzzing noise for about 4 seconds and then goes off. It sounds like it's coming from behind the glove box. Servo motor? If so, which one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NEED TO FIX ASAP.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tilksh
Hi Folks, I have a 2003 GS300 with 117,000 miles. It's a California car. Just yesterday, the AC went on the fritz. I have dual a/c controls. It blows cold air on the driver side but hot air on the passenger side. There is no blinking light on the a/c.

I went to an independent shop today and the owner said he has to evacuate the system to determine where the problem is. Is this correct?
I keep seeing comments about servos and other items. Has anyone else experienced this situation and was there a reasonably priced solution? Also, a lot of times while driving the car, the car will make a loud noise that i think comes from the vents. It sounds like a "BRRRRRRR" for a few seconds and then it goes silent. The car has done this for several years but i am so accustomed to it, I just ignore it. Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-29-20 | 04:06 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by lisajoon
I have the exact same problem. Did you ever find out what it was? The driver side A/C works normally, but the passenger side only blows freezing cold air. I have tried removing dual-AC and all of that. And every time I start the car, it makes a buzzing noise for about 4 seconds and then goes off. It sounds like it's coming from behind the glove box. Servo motor? If so, which one? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

NEED TO FIX ASAP.

Thanks!
The answer is in this thread. If you need additional information, search for servo motors. This is a common problem for this model.
Old 12-29-20 | 07:05 PM
lisajoon
Driver School Candidate

Well yeah, I figured that. I was hoping for a little more guidance. It says "Please read the sticky above or research your symptoms. Classic case of ac servo motors." But then it says that it has been removed. So I'm not really sure which servo motor it is or how to fix it.

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
The answer is in this thread. If you need additional information, search for servo motors. This is a common problem for this model.
The following users liked this post:
RSS24 (12-31-20)
Old 12-31-20 | 02:18 AM
RSS24
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. The sticky is gone. Which one did you replace? Thanks.