GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Leaky AC Compressor? 2003 GS430 Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 06:32 PM
paulr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leaky AC Compressor? 2003 GS430 Coolant leak

Here's one to scratch you head over (being facetious and there is so-called humor scattered throughout this post, please enjoy!).

My 2003 GS430 started to overheat and I went through the usual culprits and even the estorteric items like engine bypass hose/pipes, behind the engine next to tranny hose/pipe and still dry. What was puzzling to me was that the leak appeared to be coming from the oil filter and AC area but the front of the engine was dry ... no sign of water coming from the usual water pump areas. I then checked the freeze plugs and even the iconic Engine Coolant Drain Union otherwise known as the ECDU, reference the Lexus repair manual, volume 2, EM-90, quadrant 1 (the ECDU is a very well kept secret as to how to drain your engine block from not only the RH side of the engine but also the LH ;-)) .

Took off the oil filter assembly and determined that the water was coming from behind the AC compressor ... The leak was easy to replicate by just pressurizing the radiator through lung power, the leak would start trickling from the oil filter / AC compressor area but exactly where it was coming from wasn't visible between 8 eyes, numerous lights (LED, incandescent, fluorescent) After researching all the forums etc I was sure I had a zebra and I could document it and become famous and go our on the forum circuit espousing my knowledge.

I put rags everywhere to prevent coolant from channeling from bypass hoses, heater hoses to the firewall, and still the rain errr leak kept coming, pouring (trickling actually) down behind the AC compressor. (John F. would have loved his song being mentioned for car repair). The only culprit outside of having a hole in my engine block is the infamous water pump. Can I get an Amen?
(also could use an extra set of car experienced hands, eyes as well, getting old)

So, I present to the brethren, a leaky AC compressor that only leaks engine coolant. Any other ideas, suggestions, metaphors, hyperboles, ridiculous stories, fortune telling comments would he greatly appreciated within reason and rational set forth by the exalted forum moderator, All Hail! ;-)

If the consensus is to remove said nasty coolant leaking water pump, how much else should be done with reasonable ROI expectations from including additional new components, pray tell? (replacing at 170k was simple; if you touched it, you replaced it)

What can I not remove from the car? Radiator? (I love blooding up my knuckles as it screams offensive wounds rather then wimpy defensive wounds that I normally get hahaha, just joking)

Background: This is 'The Package': Black on Black leather, wood steering wheel, rear spoiler, ML stereo system, 17" chrome wheels and screams s*x... well it used to. It now has 247k on the clock (screams help me!), beaten up over time by 3 sons now adults, 1 wife. Numerous items replaced but still in good shape today: alternator, battery, radiator.

Badly needs suspension struts shocks, though ball joints etc all still in good shape surprisingly but the car handles like my old deuce and a quarter in the day. Point being, the car is 16 years old, ~250k miles and has many needs: suspension, actuators for the door locks replaced (wife item), leather seat repair(wife item), speakers or foam(my item), paint as the clear coat is cancerous, and it deserves a rest, BUT,

I love this car (until can find another car or motorcycle) and have fond memories of replacing the ABS unit for under 300 dollars when the cheapest price to be had was 2k and lexus wouldn't touch it for under 5k, having my son bend and break a craftsman socket wrench trying to take off what he thought was a caliper bolt, and on and on.... sentimental value but I digress.

Let the games begin!

Q1: All in favor that the water pump is the culprit and singularly is leaking coolant behind said AC compressor, say "Aye"
Q2: All in favor of committing the Timing Belt (TB) to the trash bin due to its age and propensity to fail at the most inopportune time, say "I"
Q3: All in favor of removing the radiator in order to reduce banged up hands, say "Aye"
Q4: All in favor of replacing TB tensioner and other offending culpritory items, please respond with an item name and rational.

Thanks to everyone who reads this!

No chickens, ducks, mice, meese, geese, gooses (without gander of course) two legged, 4 legged, 3 legged with a limp, pigs, bovine, animals on whole (wheat?) were harmed in any way during the documenting of said zebra. All ZEBRA rights reserved in perpetuity. I truly hope that this brings a smile to everyone who bothers to read this.

Last edited by paulr1; 10-28-19 at 06:45 PM. Reason: misspelled words ...