GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Issue with Starter motor on Lexus gs300 1999

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-19, 11:54 PM
Mitsos4gs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Issue with Starter motor on Lexus gs300 1999

Hi All, Apologies if i have posted in the wrong section, but i need some troubleshooting advice. I have a 1999 Lexus GS300 that wont start. Was running a few days ago but now it wont kick over. It makes absolutely no noise at all at the starter motor.

Problem started when I tried to do a parasitic battery test, to test for any leaks and as i was running the test the alarm sounded. Ever since then the car wont kick over / start. I have lights and dash working. Engine light has come on. My battery voltage is 13 volts, its only 2 weeks old. I don't think its the factory alarm / immobilizer as when i enter my key into the ignition the red light stops flashing. So i am guessing its not an alarm or immobilizer preventing a start. i have also attached a video but see picture below.

I am guessing its got nothing to do with the alarm / anti theft as when i enter my key the red flashing light goes away.

I have done some further testing today and this is what i can tell you. I have power running to the alternator from the battery no issues there.
I then switched on the ignition and followed the wiring that feeds to the starter motor and tested it to ensure that it is receiving power. Not a problem starter is receiving power.
I had my mechanic install a new alternator and battery 2 weeks ago. So i know the battery is not the cause as its roughly sitting on 13 volts right now. So voltage is fine.

However i have noticed an issue with 2 fuses on my driver side fuse box. The small fuse for the starter and ignition i think 5 and 7.5 amps. The two have no power running to them at all!!!
Whilst everything else light's up with a 12v test light. The fuses are not blown but i get no power going to them at all.

All other fuses on driver side kick panel light up fine with a test light but for some reason these 2 are not getting any power at all.

I know the Lexus GS300 has bigger relay switches in the engine bay for the starter but not sure about ignition. They are boxy looking things that i don't know much about. Please see attached pictures.

Engine bay compartment fuses & Starter relay's. Don't know much about these.

So my question is this. When doing my parasitic battery test could it be possible that somehow an issue was caused with my starter relay switch when my car alarm sounded during the 1st second of the test. I did stop immediately but could this be the issue, dead switch preventing the car from starting? Anyone with any advice on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
ignition turn.avi (2.92 MB, 61 views)
Old 12-01-19, 06:04 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

If anything the test would have blown a fuse. I'd run through them all just to be safe. Make sure the shift lever is all the way in park, check the simple stuff. But I think you should try disconnecting the battery again and use a screwdriver or something to connect the positive and negative connections. Hold them together for a good 20-30 seconds. This is a master reset. May just start right up after that. Rests the alarm, ecu, everything.
Old 12-01-19, 10:26 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

You turned on ignition and checked starter voltage.
the big wire has 12 volt direct from battery.

The small one only gets voltage when the key is on start. So a test light or meter will read on the small wire when starting.

I think info from before my reply above should solve thd problem.
The following users liked this post:
Mitsos4gs3 (05-22-20)
Old 12-01-19, 07:38 PM
Mitsos4gs3
Driver School Candidate

thanks for info will try
Old 05-28-20, 06:31 PM
Mitsos4gs3
Driver School Candidate

Just a follow up for anyone that may have experienced ignition problems / no crank. In the end i had an auto electrician come out for 2 hours trying to sort the problem out. He couldn't figure it out so he wanted to tow the vehicle. I agreed but later changed my mind when the tow truck driver didn't answer. I called another mobile auto electrician. On arrival he swapped out 2 fuses in the engine bay and the car is now all okay. Under the drivers steering wheel when you remove the black cover, there are 2 fuses a lot larger than the fuses in the kick panels and engine bay. I think i accidentally blew these fuses. They may be a bit hard to find at first but they are there.
Old 05-28-20, 07:01 PM
Mitsos4gs3
Driver School Candidate

Post Here are a couple of pictures for future reference if anyone has a similar issue

Old 05-28-20, 07:55 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Frinken aftermarket alarm fuses , didn't know you had one installed. Would have been one of the first places I suspected.