GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lights slowly but surely going out

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-19, 05:12 PM
dtompkins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lights slowly but surely going out

Thank you for checking out my thread. My car is a 2002 Lexus GS300 with 170k miles. About 2 months ago I had one of my aftermarket taillights start to dim, but then occasionally come back. (Both headlights and taillights are SpecD Tuning lights). Then eventually that taillight went out completely. Then the taillight on the opposite side showed the same symptoms. Started to dim, come back, dim, then go out. (But from time to time, ALL the lights come back perfectly working fine). Anyways, tonight I just had a headlight go out, don't know if it'll come back just yet but just not sure where to start. The battery and alternator are working just fine to my knowledge and i've had it checked multiple times and every time it checks out fine. My guesses are bad wiring, bad fuses, or, possibly, my subwoofer amp voltage/gain is too high or too low to the voltage of the battery or alternator causing electrical issues.
Old 12-11-19, 08:06 PM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

Sounds like just the low quality cheap LED stuff which is acting like that most of the time.
IMO don't put aftermarket LED lights on this cars. It never been made for it as OEM parts and QA of the aftermarket LEDs under the curb for many of the automotive industry standards (temperature range, lumens output, aiming, vibration stability etc).
They just doesn't last long and the symptoms of dying for them exactly like you described.
​​​
Old 12-11-19, 08:23 PM
dtompkins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not believe it is the light quality itself. Spec D Tuning generally has some pretty good stuff and I've had a set of the headlights and taillights before the ones on now for nearly 8 years and never had a single issue. But I had a rear end collision just a half year ago so BOTH the headlights and taillights were replaced with the exact same ones but brand new and considering my good experience with them before I do not believe it is the products fault for the dimming and there is something else going on here. Also, for the taillight LED's, the LED's come back every once and awhile at their full brightness so it's not like they are burnt out or anything, just seems like they're not always receiving full power despite Battery and Alternator being fine. The LED halo's up front that I have work perfect and are quite bright, but one of the halogen headlights have went out even though the bulb is only a year old. Thank you for the reply though!
Old 12-11-19, 08:45 PM
DundukovEM
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

Well, then take a multimeter, disconnect the plug from the light assembly and test the voltages on all light bulbs connection when it's turned on.
If you tested ~12v (or ~14v when engine run) then plug it back to the tail/head lights and see. Should be light up. If it's not - the light bulbs or LEDs dead.