GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cam seals

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-19, 12:54 PM
GS6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam seals

Question for the experts here. Can the cam seals be done without completely removing the timing belt?
My thought is to remove the cam gears while maintaining tension.(If possible) The previous owner had the timing belt and water pump replaced 30k miles ago. However, the cam seals were left in place because they were not leaking at that time.
Thanks for any help/replies.
Old 12-15-19, 01:34 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

That wouldn’t be possible, you will need to get the tensioner locked before removing the belt, and the cover behind the cam gears needs removed to get to the seals, so a lot has to come off the front of the engine. Might as well do it right.
Old 12-15-19, 01:39 PM
GS6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a look at a youtube vid after I posted the question. Definately not possible. I am going to remove the top cover and inspect closer. Hopefully the VVTi cam gear O-ring is the culprit. That can Definately be done without removing the timing belt.
Thank you for the reply.
Old 12-17-19, 07:37 PM
paulr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently replaced my 2003 GS430 with 250k miles, old leaky water pump and old timing belt and noticed the oil leak from the front of the engine. I was planing on replacing the camsharft oil seals and crankshaft oil seal. But after seeing that I would have to remove the camshafts due to the VVT, I decided that there wasn't enought evidence of leaking oil to justify the extra time. However, I did replace the crankshaft oil seal as there was considerable oil in the lower areas ie oil pan etc...

The crankshaft seal was actually very simple to replace. The oil supply to the cams is regulated whereas the crank is not and is the main culprit for oil leaks at the front of the engine. I had replaced my valve cover gaskets years back and easy 'white glove' check inidcated no oil leaks from the covers.

I have some great pictures of changing the crank oil seal out if it helps. I discovered that my shop vac hose joiner was the perfect dimsion for installing the crank oil seal. I spent a great deal of time cleanin up the oil sludge. The last time I changed the timing belt and water pump was 80k. Local "Made in Japan" shop said he sees Lexus with 400k on the clock so well worth the effort. I took a lot of photos and some videos and may get around to putting them up on Youtube. I hated some of the videos as they brush over the tough parts for brevity...
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (12-18-19)
Old 12-18-19, 07:41 AM
implantgs4
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr1
I recently replaced my 2003 GS430 with 250k miles, old leaky water pump and old timing belt and noticed the oil leak from the front of the engine. I was planing on replacing the camsharft oil seals and crankshaft oil seal. But after seeing that I would have to remove the camshafts due to the VVT, I decided that there wasn't enought evidence of leaking oil to justify the extra time. However, I did replace the crankshaft oil seal as there was considerable oil in the lower areas ie oil pan etc...

The crankshaft seal was actually very simple to replace. The oil supply to the cams is regulated whereas the crank is not and is the main culprit for oil leaks at the front of the engine. I had replaced my valve cover gaskets years back and easy 'white glove' check inidcated no oil leaks from the covers.

I have some great pictures of changing the crank oil seal out if it helps. I discovered that my shop vac hose joiner was the perfect dimsion for installing the crank oil seal. I spent a great deal of time cleanin up the oil sludge. The last time I changed the timing belt and water pump was 80k. Local "Made in Japan" shop said he sees Lexus with 400k on the clock so well worth the effort. I took a lot of photos and some videos and may get around to putting them up on Youtube. I hated some of the videos as they brush over the tough parts for brevity...
Please put your videos on Youtube, that would be great information!
The following users liked this post:
Boomin (12-18-19)