GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car radio won't pick up any FM or AM stations

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20 | 01:35 PM
JMan23
Rookie

Default Car radio won't pick up any FM or AM stations

This happened some months ago and I Don't know where to start on this as it was very random. Radio was working fine on the way to the gym. Got done, started the car and nothing but static. I even did a scan and it won't pick up anything. wanna go ahead and try to fix this. The cassette and cd player work just fine.

What needs to be done to fix this problem?
​​​​

​​​​
Old 01-25-20 | 02:24 PM
JMan23
Rookie

So I pulled the radio half way out and wiggled some wires. Couldn't see the back of it, but everything felt pretty tight.

I took apart the back seat passenger by the rear window to get to the antenna. Wiggled some wires and nothing. I've had the car for about a year before this happened. I wonder if some bad wiring is on this car. I bring up bad wiring because the car battery drains randomly. It hasn't happened in months thankfully but still makes me think.
Old 02-03-20 | 06:55 AM
dwoods801
Instructor

It sure sounds like the antenna is no longer connected to the radio. Usually u could trace this type of problem back to a specific event that would help explain and pinpoint the problem. Maybe the previous owner had the stereo out at some point, and didn’t get the antenna fully plugged back into the stereo, and it was able to work itself loose. You need to pull the stereo out completely and make sure the antenna is plugged in and plugged in tight. Look for a “1/4 thick coaxial type wire, it’s similar to what you hook up to your television for cable or satellite.
If you pull the stereo out and you find everything plugged in, and correctly then you could have an interruption anywhere between the radio, and the aerial antenna that’s attached to the rear window. This can be easier if you can find any clues that would narrow down why it quit working. If u follow the cable all the way to the window and all the connections look good, u could have an internal problem with the stereo.
You could buy a generic antenna from Autozone or Amazon and plug it directly into the back of your stereo and see if that solves the problem. That’ll narrow down the problem to stereo, or antenna,
There are ample forums here that can give u step by step instructions for removing your stereo, which wire is the antenna, also help following the antenna wire through the vehicle.
You should able to solve this problem even with minimal mechanical experience. And once the problem is solved, it’s unlikely to come back anytime soon. CL is an excellent source of information on our cars. But if this sounds a little intimidating, your local stereo shop could probably fix it for just an hour of labor. Unless the problem is inside the stereo (unlikely). If that is the issue, used stereos are available on eBay and CL for $50-$150 depending on how well the screen works and if it’s had an auxiliary port added.
Good Luck