GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Cracked Front Sway Bar Brackets!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 10:23 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cracked Front Sway Bar Brackets!

All,

I thought I’d bring this to everyone’s attention. For a while my front end has been making creaking sounds whenever I made turns or went on or off driveways. I always thought it was the sway bar bushings that have worn out so I finally decided to swap them out.

To my surprise when I went to change out the bushings in the front, I saw this. The bracket that bolts on to the chassis where the sway bar mounts to is cracked! I had no idea this could happen since. On the passenger side, basically only 1 bolt was still holding on to the bracket. My whole sway bar assembly could have fallen off any time so I think I got lucky. For those with front end creaks, I high recommend jacking your car up and checking these brackets to be safe.

The following users liked this post:
CurlyG (05-24-22)
Old 01-27-20, 03:02 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Yup Happened to me too. about 4-5 years ago. Got some used ones. I got TRD's also. Maybe they have something to do with it.
Old 01-27-20, 09:17 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting. I also had a clunking in the front but that was because the OEM sway bar had bad rust around the bushings so it had a small bit of play. I installed a Megan Racing front sway bar so I will also be inspecting these brackets when I do my oil changes since I know it is stiffer than OEM.
Old 05-20-20, 05:37 PM
Mikokoro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the write up Pnuge. I assume all appropriate bolts can be reached when the car is on the ground? Also, what do you mean/ what does it mean, when it says "Mevotech will not fit unless you are lowered"? Do you mean on coilovers or just after the procedure? I am planning on purchasing an sc430 (eventually) and everywhere I read, I hear about a squishy or sedate ride. I know it won't be like my RX8 but I'm trying to get something dialed in shortly after I nab one. Also, will poly bushings ALWAYS end up squeaking, and if so how bad are we talking?
Old 05-23-22, 06:51 PM
FatBuoy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the write-up! Just swapped the rear out this evening.

I confirm that you do NOT need to loosen the exhaust bracket. It takes a bit of pushing, pulling and squirming, but when it clears that last obstruction it POPS in there with a satisfying clank.

I did the rear only and just WOW. Game changer. That, combined with the ECM flash, and I felt like Speed in is Silver Mach-5 on the test drive.

Thanks again!