GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

can Lexus's with non factory......

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-03, 01:14 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question can Lexus's with non factory......

Can Lexus's with non factory front windsheild's be certified? I recently got a certified GS 300 from the dealer, and just recently I noticed that the front windsheild is not factory, and the hood may have been repainted. I found some tiny over spray in the engine compartment. What do think I should do? If I knew that the front windsheild may have been replaced, I may not have paid what I paid! advice, on what I should do..?
Old 08-29-03, 02:11 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

if the hood was repainted and the winshoeld was replaced it SEEMS like mayb that car had frontal damage. just my observation from u said . when u did a carfax did it come up clean? i hope someone here can help u more than i can .
Old 08-29-03, 02:28 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Everything checked clean and clear through the dealership, well thats what they told me...and Im sure a place like Lexus wouldnt do that to their customers? Its is kind of funny though, that I have a 2000 without any chips on the hood? I asked one of the service reps(my friend) and told me that he will look into it. He told me that sometimes, when they get pre-owned cars into the lot with maybe a chip in the glass, or a crack they automatically replace the front windsheild rather than fixing the imperfections of the glass.
Old 08-29-03, 02:37 PM
LexPro
Pole Position

Yes you can replace the glass with aftermarket glass, and you can have upto 4 panels repainted and certify it.

Dan
Old 08-29-03, 04:57 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

I went though a simular issue approx 1 year ago. The certified car I purchased had been approx 95% repainted. Lexus Dealer will repaint hoods, bumpers. The rule is, if the car has no structural damage, it could be certified. If the car has been repainted, Lexus will not warranty the paint because it is no longer factory paint. Your best bet is to have a good relationship with the used car Manager at the Dealership. If there is a problem with the paint and the dealer repainted or had a bodyshop repaint the car. The Dealer will have the bodyshop correct the problem. My advice would be to have the problem fixed by the dealer. And yes, the dealer will certify the car as a CPO with a replaced windshield. Maybe the windshield was replaced by the previous owner. The dealer looks at the body panels to verify that all the number match on each panel.

I went through approx 6 visits to get the problem fixed. I eventually asked for another car. And the Pre Owned Manager found the car I wanted. That really showed me that Lexus will takecare of their customers.

If the car had been repainted. You will have to work with the Dealership on any warranty paint issues. Lexus Corp won' t do anything for you. Each Dealer have the own rules and to want distance they will to help a customer.

Good Luck..
Old 08-29-03, 06:29 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

the question is, if you know your car that you were about to purchase has been repainted and other misc stuff not OEM, what would you do??
Old 08-30-03, 01:13 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lettuce
the question is, if you know your car that you were about to purchase has been repainted and other misc stuff not OEM, what would you do??
If it makes you uncomfortable enough to raise the question, you probably want to look around until you find something else that you're happier with. I know that's what I would do.
Old 08-30-03, 07:44 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

Theres only one problem..I have already purchased it!
Old 08-31-03, 06:25 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not really a problem, is it? After all, you also have the additional coverage which should make you a little more confortable.

Enjoy the car!
Old 08-31-03, 07:15 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not see any problems. The windshield and the repaint is only something cosmetic.
In the case the car is going good, there should not be a problem. Perhaps you can have some other shop check if there have been any collision damage and if they cannot find any proof, you should be fine.

Alex
Old 08-31-03, 07:43 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

OK, then what's with the earlier question you asked?

Old 08-31-03, 09:23 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

I was referring too yoIur decision making about the purchasing of the car, and if it would have a big affect on you decison. The reason why is because i was told by Lexus, that the car was never repainted, and never in a accident. Maybe I was not told the truth , or someone was lying to me. Either way, I felt like I was cheated out of some vital information that could have make a different outcome on the purchase of this vehicle.
Old 08-31-03, 05:16 PM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

I was referring too yoIur decision making about the purchasing of the car, and if it would have a big affect on you decison. The reason why is because i was told by Lexus, that the car was never repainted, and never in a accident. Maybe I was not told the truth , or someone was lying to me. Either way, I felt like I was cheated out of some vital information that could have make a different outcome on the purchase of this vehicle.
Yeah, having all of the facts would definitely be better while in the decision making period. Maybe you can look at it this way:

The car is probably fine and was never in a collision that required any body work, repainting or windshield replacement (I don't believe it can be certified after something like this). Most likely, there were the expected paint chips in the hood/bumper and perhaps heavier than normal chips/pits in the windshield glass. Rather than trying to sell the vehicle in this condition, the dealer repainted the hood (and possibly the bumper?) and replaced the glass, in effect adding value to the vehicle (IMO). Had they not done the work, you might've gotten a better deal on the vehicle, but would've had to promptly spend that savings on a paint job and new windshield.