GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

02 Lexus GS300 Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-20, 09:16 PM
JoshwDavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Lexus GS300 Starting problems

Ok guys, this is a long one. So I replaced my whole front end basically, wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, rotors, ect. I have a warranty on my fuel pump which was starting to give me problems, so I ordered a new one and put it on, took forever to find the o rings for the new fuel pump because mine went bad. Found some out of a same model at LKQ. Replaced that, and I know my starter was about to go, so I replaced that tonight, what a pain. Anyway, so what it’s been doing, (before I changed starter, and now it’s still doing it) is it will crank and crank but won’t start, I’ve tried keeping the key in the on position but it has no effect, and if I keep trying it will finally start up, but I don’t want to blow my new starter. What could be the cause of this? Maybe low fuel pressure? I thought so, but when it was low pressure I actually had a bunch of codes throwing up, misfires ect, but now that I put the new o rings on, the codes went away, so I believe it has fuel pressure. What else could it be? Zero codes being thrown besides an o2 sensor, but that’ll be here tomorrow and it has no effect at all to anything. I’m about out of options because I’ve spent over a thousand just trying to fix this fuel issue. I also have a new fuel pressure regulator as well with a brand new fuel filter, and fuel strainer. Help me out here guys, what else could it be? I’m willing to work on it, I already had engine replaced at 200k and only went about 30k so far. Also i do have a new battery, but its a cheap interstate battery, but I don’t think that would be the problem. I just don’t understand and I’m at a loss now. Let me know whatever you think this could be. Thanks!!!
*edit* Also once it does start, it runs perfectly no misfires, and it takes off nicely, just wanted to say that as well, but I am still stuck as to it has to be fuel issues.

Last edited by JoshwDavis; 02-25-20 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-02-20, 04:21 AM
Bongizzle
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshwDavis
Ok guys, this is a long one. So I replaced my whole front end basically, wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, rotors, ect. I have a warranty on my fuel pump which was starting to give me problems, so I ordered a new one and put it on, took forever to find the o rings for the new fuel pump because mine went bad. Found some out of a same model at LKQ. Replaced that, and I know my starter was about to go, so I replaced that tonight, what a pain. Anyway, so what it’s been doing, (before I changed starter, and now it’s still doing it) is it will crank and crank but won’t start, I’ve tried keeping the key in the on position but it has no effect, and if I keep trying it will finally start up, but I don’t want to blow my new starter. What could be the cause of this? Maybe low fuel pressure? I thought so, but when it was low pressure I actually had a bunch of codes throwing up, misfires ect, but now that I put the new o rings on, the codes went away, so I believe it has fuel pressure. What else could it be? Zero codes being thrown besides an o2 sensor, but that’ll be here tomorrow and it has no effect at all to anything. I’m about out of options because I’ve spent over a thousand just trying to fix this fuel issue. I also have a new fuel pressure regulator as well with a brand new fuel filter, and fuel strainer. Help me out here guys, what else could it be? I’m willing to work on it, I already had engine replaced at 200k and only went about 30k so far. Also i do have a new battery, but its a cheap interstate battery, but I don’t think that would be the problem. I just don’t understand and I’m at a loss now. Let me know whatever you think this could be. Thanks!!!
*edit* Also once it does start, it runs perfectly no misfires, and it takes off nicely, just wanted to say that as well, but I am still stuck as to it has to be fuel issues.
Well you should start by checking out the ignition system since it is whats used to start your car in the first place. So I'd check everything spark plugs, coils even check the maf cause sometimes it can get clogged and the engine needs air to start.
Old 04-07-24, 07:24 PM
peter20201
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a past experience from my 2002 GS300, I have a shorted wire on the engine bay some where so it takes a long long time to start; It turn out I have a brown AM2 starter fuse. I by pass that fuse temporary and then car started OK.