GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gs400 barely starts and dies in seconds

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 12:04 PM
CaptainLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gs400 barely starts and dies in seconds

Hello everyone! So I got my first gs around a month ago and the car wasn’t running when I got it so I replaced the fuel pump because I had suspected it was bad, sure enough I changed the pump and the car fired right up, so I drove the car around for about a week with no hiccups other than a Evap code that came and gone pretty fast, car ran great. So the last night I drove it I took it for a blast one highway exit and I didn’t even drive it hard I just wanted to drive the car a little bit, came home, shut it off and came out the next morning to the car barely starting and not running right at all, I was gonna be late to work so I limped it out, got my other car out and limped it back into its spot, I’m lost at this point, I got another pump to make sure I didn’t get a faulty one, new plugs, a efi relay, vvt solenoids, cleaned the throttle body, new maf, put more gas into the car and I’m still getting the same thing, barely starts or runs, the neutral saftey switch gave me a code but it can’t be that because the car wouldn’t even turn over, the cars shifter is locked up and I have to use the override button to drive it but it worked fine like that so I’m very lost, any help is greatly appreciated! I’ve attached a video of it as-well.
Old 04-08-20, 02:44 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry...where is the video? Any ODBII codes?
Old 04-08-20, 04:34 PM
CaptainLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jefthim
Sorry...where is the video? Any ODBII codes?
the video won’t attach to the post, no codes
Old 04-09-20, 06:27 AM
Arussto
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

R u hearing the fuel pump ?
seems like fuel delivery OR clogged Cat.

Scan?
Old 04-09-20, 06:43 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 378 Posts

Try cleaning the throttle and MAF then reset the computer with the battery disconnect method. Hold the positive and negative cables together to clear the ram memory and reset to factory settings.
The following users liked this post:
Arussto (04-09-20)
Old 04-09-20, 07:01 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

You mentioned you replaced the pump twice, where did you source the fuel pumps from? You're talking about the pump under the rear seat, correct?
Old 04-09-20, 08:10 PM
CaptainLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arussto
R u hearing the fuel pump ?
seems like fuel delivery OR clogged Cat.

Scan?
when the key is in the on position I hear a noise around the driver foot well and after trying to crank it it’ll smell like gas but it’s not leaking from anywhere
Old 04-09-20, 08:11 PM
CaptainLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Try cleaning the throttle and MAF then reset the computer with the battery disconnect method. Hold the positive and negative cables together to clear the ram memory and reset to factory settings.
I can try to clean the throttle body again and I’ll try the reset aswell, I’ve never connected the cables while the battery’s out though so maybe that will get me somewhere
Old 04-09-20, 08:14 PM
CaptainLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kevin3344
You mentioned you replaced the pump twice, where did you source the fuel pumps from? You're talking about the pump under the rear seat, correct?
they’re cheap pumps but the first one started the car right up and the newer one is brand new so I’m hopping it’s not bad lol, was thinking about getting a AEM pump at some point but I don’t think it could be the pump
Old 04-09-20, 09:29 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Spray some insecticide into the throttle body and try a start. If it starts, definitely not getting fuel.

I might get some licks from other members for this suggestion but it is a qiick diagnoaia.

Fuel deliv could be pump, fuse, relay among other things but aince you did work on the steering pump it ahould be something related to parts or plugs removed then reinstalled. The spray will give the manifold fuel to start.

Remove boot at TB. Open theottle, spray for about 3-4 secs. Release TB and try a start. Should run for 3 seconds or so.

The correct check qoild be to test fiel.pressure.

Good luck
Old 04-10-20, 04:42 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Clear the code and disconnect the battery. Restart the car and if it goes into limp mode it's probably your throttle body. Post any codes here, even if you don't think they're related to the issue.
Old 04-10-20, 07:34 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Just reread the initial post.

Seems like I mixed it up with another person who changed Pwr Strg pump.

Is the Motor turning when you turn key to START?

If not, are lights dimming when you turn key to START?

Sometimes the jargon confuses Crank Turn Over Run. I use crank and Tuen over for the starter turning the motor amd RUN when the motor turns without holding the key on START😁

The terms may mean different things to didferent people. Oh and there is TUMBLE..same as crank with the starter..4me😁

Old 04-15-20, 04:23 PM
CaptainLex
Driver School Candidate

Narrowed it down to air flow, car is getting spark and fuel but seems to be taking too much air in, when I have my hand over the intake the car runs good and sorta idles but once I move my hand the car pretty much dies in seconds
Old 04-15-20, 05:56 PM
Arussto
Intermediate

Guessing but I would Check the duct downstream of maf
Especially the accordian parts as they hide their holes but at idle to have such a problem should be a big leak or maf.

No codes right ?
Old 04-15-20, 09:49 PM
CaptainLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Arussto
Guessing but I would Check the duct downstream of maf
Especially the accordian parts as they hide their holes but at idle to have such a problem should be a big leak or maf.

No codes right ?
Only code is a pnp switch, my car has a srt intake so it's all couplers, pretty stumped haha, I'm gonna try to find some vaccum diagrams

Quick Reply: Gs400 barely starts and dies in seconds