GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

*Nothing* is alleviating my vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 06:20 PM
8M6
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroWill
I agree with the majority of your sentiments, however, you hit the nail on the head when you said Michelins. I have General G-Max AS-05s on both my OE wheels and on my 18 inch TOMS wheels. While I love the price and grip from the tires, they are absolutely impossible to balance even if the machine says everything is perfect. I am a Lexus tech and will be buying high end tires next time around!

Will
Funny that you mention the General G-Max AS-05, as that's what I currently have as well in 245/40/18. These are the first tires I've bought for my 18" F Sport wheels and I haven't had issues with them aside from more road noise than I'm used to hearing. I can't judge ride quality fairly considering I have no other point of reference on these larger wheels, but this wheel and tire combo doesn't feel as smooth as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my previous OEM 17" wheels.

I'm indifferent towards the G-Max right now, but I would like to see how good the Pilot Sport A/S version that will be available a few years from now will ride on 18s.

Last edited by 8M6; 05-09-20 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 06:49 PM
EuroWill
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 8M6
Funny that you mention the General G-Max AS-05, as that's what I currently have as well in 245/40/18. These are the first tires I've bought for my 18" F Sport wheels and I haven't had issues with them aside from more road noise than I'm used to hearing. I can't judge ride quality fairly considering I have no other point of reference on these larger wheels, but this wheel and tire combo doesn't feel as smooth as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my previous OEM 17" wheels.

I'm indifferent towards the G-Max right now, but I would like to see how good the Pilot Sport A/S version that will be available a few years from now will ride on 18s.
For the price point, there are probably no better tires than the Generals in terms of performance.

I am especially sensitive to vibration since all of my suspension bushing are pillow ball.

Will
Old 05-09-20, 06:52 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

“Pilot Sport A/S 3”

Pilot Sport A/S is what I had previously and those were smooooooth! The day I switched to cheap tires, regret set in immediately in the form of vibes!
The following users liked this post:
Bbgnate (05-12-20)
Old 05-11-20, 09:45 AM
CGGS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually come across similar sentiments while doing research on this topic. Seems like a high quality Michelin tire is definitely not something to ignore.

I'll come back here, and update you all on my progress once my rear wheel bearings have been replaced.

I really appreciate all the responses!
Bbgnate (05-12-20)
Old 05-11-20, 05:56 PM
8M6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EuroWill
For the price point, there are probably no better tires than the Generals in terms of performance.

I am especially sensitive to vibration since all of my suspension bushing are pillow ball.

Will
I agree. It's actually an excellent mid-range all-season tire, but it's also the cheapest set of tires I've ever bought. If it wasn't for a significant spike in tire prices around this time last year, I was set on getting the BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S this go around because I wanted to save some money having bought new wheels at the same time. After the price spike, the General G-Max AS-05 became my only choice.

On the GS, I've also had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on OEM 17s since 2012. Both were excellent, especially the Michelins. The Goodyear Eagles that were on the OEM 16s when I bought it were something else entirely though. Getting a blowout on one of those was my excuse for me to upgrade to those OEM 17s that I ran until last year.

Originally Posted by CGGS400
I've actually come across similar sentiments while doing research on this topic. Seems like a high quality Michelin tire is definitely not something to ignore.

I'll come back here, and update you all on my progress once my rear wheel bearings have been replaced.

I really appreciate all the responses!
I haven't ever had vibration problems like what you described to start the thread, but I know others in the forums have had these issues even on stock suspension back when their cars were new. That said, it's good that the symptoms have been significantly reduced after all the recent fixes.

In your case, I might not suspect tires as much since you have Generals that balanced and ran fine on other cars and not some crap like Westlakes, so I'd see it as more of a last resort between the cost of four Pilot Sport tires and as long as there are worn out components elsewhere on your car.

Last edited by 8M6; 05-11-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-11-20, 10:09 PM
BigTurtle
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i also have the same issues, oem shocks, oem castor arms still vibrations, above 60mph, oem motor mounts, theres still some kind of vibration, thinking worn axles or wheel bearings now
Old 05-11-20, 10:24 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigTurtle
i also have the same issues, oem shocks, oem castor arms still vibrations, above 60mph, oem motor mounts, theres still some kind of vibration, thinking worn axles or wheel bearings now
doubt it, my guess is tires.
Bbgnate (05-12-20)
Old 05-12-20, 11:42 AM
Bbgnate
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
The vibration/balance is probably one of the major disappointments in the 98-05 GS. Countless 2GS owners have battled this problem and you will find no shortage of it on this forum.

I’ve owned my 2001 GS430 for 10yrs and pretty much went through every component replacement in the front end at one point or another chasing the vibration.

You know whats had the the biggest impact on my car in reducing vibration/balance issues?

A.) oem hubcentric wheels (I have had two sets of aftermarket wheels and never could get them to stop vibrating even with hubcentric rings and countless balancing)

B.) high end Michelin tires

funny thing... when my Michelin Pilots wore down, I made the mistake of buying cheap tires earlier this year. Tech said they balanced out great and my car is vibrating like an Oregon Trail bandwagon.

I will be going back to Michelins.

When the car had fresh front suspension, oem wheels, and balanced Michelins was when it was smooth as glass.

Do not underestimate the importance of a good quality name brand tire (like Michelin pilot) for our cars.

I dont know what it is that makes these cars so sensitive to the slightest imbalance but I’ve convinced myself that tires matter. In other cars I’ve owned, no so much.
I have to second this argument--made some very good points here. I have owned my 00" GS300 for 5 years and at one point experienced nasty vibrations with Yokohama Tires. These were new tires, mind you and after replacing one, switching the fronts from side to side, etc, I gave up and bought some new Michelins and my vibrations completely disappeared (mine were mostly in the steering wheel). Mind, you, my GS is completely stock and all of my new suspension components (shocks, caster arms, ball joints, tie rod ends) were OEM Lexus. I've heard of aftermarket suspension components going bad prematurely so I feel like I should spend the extra money and have more piece of mind. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-12-20, 07:40 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

If owners just knew how much Michelins help

MICHELIN NATION!!!
Old 05-12-20, 07:59 PM
8M6
Intermediate

I'll add one thing regarding wheel bearings. When I had one going bad, I was more spooked by the noises it made rather than noticing vibrations. That being said, that didn't happen on the GS, and I was riding on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires. Take that how you will since this is turning into a Michelin thread.
Old 05-13-20, 03:18 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You said you tried everything but I didn't see you mentioned trying an alignment. Ignore if I missed that you did an alignment after all those suspension component change. Even if you did do an alignment, the first alignment would need to be realign again after you break in your new parts. I recently changed out all of my suspension bushings, did an at home alignment perfectly and still got a nasty vibration at 65-75. Drove it for 100 miles and checked my alignment again and it's all whacked. Redid my alignment and wheel balance and hit 115 with no vibration. Also, if you have adjustable arms, make sure you measure them and match them with your oem arm length. A key note to where the vibration is if the steering shake it's the front. If the seat shakes, it's your rear.
Old 05-13-20, 05:56 PM
MeenGrn02
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Chiming in as I am experiencing the shimmy as well. I have replaced everything in the front end besides the upper control arms, I am needing to as the ball joint in the passengers front UCA is getting clunky. The one thing that I have seen no one do in this thread is replace the tension bearing in the steering rack or play around with alignment. As well, is everyone torqing their suspension correctly? Suspension and steering members need to be torqued under load. I sure have. Given the current state of affairs in the US and being in a position where I can park my car for a week at a time, having access to another, I have noticed that when my GS has been sitting on the much lower friction garage floor for longer than a week, and I go to drive the vehicle, my shimmy happens every time I apply the brakes, until I start driving the car a little bit harder and put more load through the suspension. What I believe is happeng is that the load being applied through the suspension on rather high friction surfaces is relaxing when the car sits on the lower friction garage floor. Whilst driving, the feel through the steering wheel inclines me to think that my shimmy is due to the worn tension bearing in the rack. Why? The past two times I have gotten an alignment, my passenger front has toe has been out of spec, aligning brings it back. BUT when there is play in the rack due to slop in the tension bearing, we have a moving variable that I believe is causing a lot of the issue. I think we also need to start experiencing with toe angles, but this can only be done on a vehicle that has a front end that is completely in good shape.