GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: Fog lights on or off with no fog out?
OFF
15.14%
ON
84.86%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-03, 04:23 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On baby! it looks so good , I have Razo premium white zeros on my fogs and it matches perfectly w/ my hid it looks good
Old 09-10-03, 09:35 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by alexus
on GS? 1st gen?
Yeah, look.
Attached Thumbnails fog lights-hidswcelsiorcl.jpg  
Old 09-10-03, 09:36 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Here's a better pic alexus.
Attached Thumbnails fog lights-hidsheadon1cl.jpg  

Last edited by Wald GS; 09-10-03 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-11-03, 08:03 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
mooretorque, didn't the Si have yellow fogs similar to ours? Mine are usually on. The yellow beam IMO is not bright enough to create glare.

Hameed has HIDs in his fogs and they looked AWESOME!
Thanks Mike!!

I leave mine on all the time purely for cosmetic reasons - they just look plain awesome!! I have 6000K HID's in the fogs. The aim of the foglight is from the factory so they do not create any glare and are not blinding.

I was following OverClocker when driving down to Deals Gap last month in a heavy downpour as well as when the rain was not falling. In the dry weather, they look pure white and are very distinctive and he can attest to the fact that they don't blind anyone.

Later in the downpour, he said my car was the only car he could see through his rear view mirrors because of the HID fogs (so they do have some functional use sometimes! )
Old 09-11-03, 10:11 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Perfect - everyone seems to leave them on cause they like the look of them - who cares if other drivers are blinded by them.

I now vote for having them removed from all vehicles - they were put there for a reason but now everyone uses them cause they think they look cool.

Got it.
Old 09-11-03, 11:40 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The aim of the foglight is from the factory so they do not create any glare and are not blinding.
Aim has nothing to do with dispersion pattern and that WIDE dispersion is what creates problems for oncoming drivers. And I might add that, for the aging population, glare is MORE of a problem because of vision issues (as a physician, I'll be glad to discuss this in tedious, boring detail if anyone is interested), so the widespread use of fogs just for cosmetic purposes creates (at least in theory) hazard for other drivers who have to share the road with them.

Doug: well said.

Last edited by mooretorque; 09-11-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-11-03, 12:24 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by doug_999
Perfect - everyone seems to leave them on cause they like the look of them - who cares if other drivers are blinded by them.

I now vote for having them removed from all vehicles - they were put there for a reason but now everyone uses them cause they think they look cool.

Got it.
All of us morons that leave the fog lights on should listen to the voice of reason!!
Old 09-11-03, 12:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by mooretorque
Aim has nothing to do with dispersion pattern and that WIDE dispersion is what creates problems for oncoming drivers. And I might add that, for the aging population, glare is MORE of a problem because of vision issues (as a physician, I'll be glad to discuss this in tedious, boring detail if anyone is interested), so the widespread use of fogs just for cosmetic purposes creates (at least in theory) hazard for other drivers who have to share the road with them.

Doug: well said.
No disrespect intended to you Sir (theory is great, but the reality is even better) , if you drove in front of me for 5 minutes you would change your mind about the glare that my fogs cause. I cannot say the same for other fogs.
Old 09-11-03, 01:41 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Hameed, started to say that cars in your lane (that's key) are not affected as much, eg, the low pattern doesn't rise much and shine into rear view mirrors. My contention is that oncoming traffic which is obviously off to the side (which is where your fog light pattern starts to rise) are more affected. As far as reality, see my first post. That visit with ASP occured in 1988 and the reality is that the officer's explanation for why he stopped me is validated every time I meet a car at night with fogs on. Lessee..............2003............carry the 1.............that's 15 years worth of reality behind the wheel.

But I'm just a dumb ol' Arkie doctor.........what do I know about all those sophisticated West Coast lighting ideas????
Old 09-12-03, 05:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by mooretorque
Hameed, started to say that cars in your lane (that's key) are not affected as much, eg, the low pattern doesn't rise much and shine into rear view mirrors. My contention is that oncoming traffic which is obviously off to the side (which is where your fog light pattern starts to rise) are more affected. As far as reality, see my first post. That visit with ASP occured in 1988 and the reality is that the officer's explanation for why he stopped me is validated every time I meet a car at night with fogs on. Lessee..............2003............carry the 1.............that's 15 years worth of reality behind the wheel.

But I'm just a dumb ol' Arkie doctor.........what do I know about all those sophisticated West Coast lighting ideas????
Now I am beginning to see the light. Also I forgot to mention that I very rarely drive at night. 95% of my driving is to work and back. We use my wifes car for going out to places and at night. The 'cool' factor is higher during the day time anyway when it does not cause glare to oncoming traffic and is not blinding either. I guess at night it is whole different ball game! Will not drive my car at night with the fogs on from now on. Now we have to convince everyone else of this problem.
Old 09-12-03, 06:22 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I for one don't think that what Lexus calls "fog lights" are really fog lights. Real fog lights, in my opinion, are only used instead of headlights in fog, because use of headlights in the fog will totally obscure visibility..

What Lexus calls "fog lights" are, in my opinion, more appropriately called low-speed driving lights and are best used to navigate dark driveways, parking lots, and other situations where you need close-in illumination and the headlights are only lighting the distance, straight ahead.

Anybody share this opinion?
Old 09-12-03, 06:31 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by bob2200
I for one don't think that what Lexus calls "fog lights" are really fog lights. Real fog lights, in my opinion, are only used instead of headlights in fog, because use of headlights in the fog will totally obscure visibility..

What Lexus calls "fog lights" are, in my opinion, more appropriately called low-speed driving lights and are best used to navigate dark driveways, parking lots, and other situations where you need close-in illumination and the headlights are only lighting the distance, straight ahead.

Anybody share this opinion?
That makes a lot of sense as my so-called 'fogs' do precisely that! Very astute observation!!
Old 09-12-03, 06:37 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Ah, enlightenment!! Daytime use does look cool!

bob, interesting point. I think the difference between low beams and fogs is much less pronounced than in times past. I'm old enough to remember the blobby light pattern of sealed beams and how much different things looked when I ordered my first Cibie Z-beams (back when quartz halogens were illegal). The cutoff was razor sharp and driving in fog was considerably improved. Today's q-h lenses as well as the HID lenses have that same sharp cutoff to the pattern, so I actually don't see too much difference now between fogs and my low beam HIDs as far as light scatter/glare.

Old 09-12-03, 08:09 AM
lex007
Driver School Candidate

I tend to share Bob's opinion. This may or may not be correct, but I have always thought of yellow or orange lights (back in the day) as being fog lights, and white as being driving lights. On my previous car (Saab), the white light materially improved my close-in visibility for pothole avoidance, etc. in addition to driveways and parking lots previously mentioned. The yellow lights on my GS seem to be most useful for foggy conditions as the light generated does not appear to significantly improve the near-field. On the Saab, I always used the "driving lights"; on the Lexus, I only use in rain/fog or unless I have the insatiable desire to say "I have a Lexus and you don't" (how childish, I know), in which I turn them on in any condition.
Old 09-12-03, 08:48 AM
UK_GS300
Driver School Candidate

Get caught in the UK with them on and it could be a fine and 3 points on your license (over 12 points and you get a ban). In the UK front and rear fog lights can only be used when visibility is reduced to 100yards or less.

Quick Reply: fog lights